A Strange Idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Strange Idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Strange Idea

I had strange idea come to me the other day so I thought I'd share it. Drop pods are one of the nastiest ways to get in close fast with almost no risk. Their main weakness however, is that when fighting Orks or other CC monstrosities they have a tendancy to get swamped over. I then thought that maybe if I added bikes this could give me an interesting edge. The bikes give me an element of control that otherwise I would lack. The general plan would be to maneuver them into charge range of a CC squad, we'll use a mob of orcs as an example. Now even if a drop pod comes down and unleashes all its got, the best you're going to get is 20 bolter shots (less normally because of special weapons). Now that will seriously cripple the orc mob but as long as its 20 and above with a nob you're going to be in trouble. But if you have a bike squad you get them into position, fire their own bolters, then charge, most likely routing the mob but at least keeping it from charging your DP squad. Has anyone else ever thought of this? I know bikes are common in teleporting lists but I've never seen anyone use them the way I'm thinking of.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only bad thing I can see about this, is having your bikes not in position yet, or having the bikes destroyed already before the drop-pods come in. This has happened to me many times, where I had a great fire position, but the pods never came, and the line got overrun before the pods came down.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Theres also a fairly good chance of the Bikers being scragged by the Nobz power klaw. 5 Bikers in combat will usualy only generate 8 attacks at I4 (the P.Fist Vet Sgt). Hitting and wounding on a 4+ thats about 2 kills, the Orks do get return attacks and the P.Klaw hurts.

To be honest i'd always prefer an Assault Squad over Bikes to finish them off, you can afford more and thier extra attack each helps.

If Orks are really giving you problems take 2 Flamers as your Special weapons, add in some bolters and you've an excellant chance of killing all the Orks within 12". Make sure you fire the Flamers first though.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Hmm. I generally wouldn't use drop pods against Orks at all. Getting into close combat with an army whose specialty is swamping you seems a little counter-intuitive.

Bikes do have the obvious advantage that the average Ork wounds on a 6+, and then one has a 3+ armour save to fall back on. This is, of course, completely negated by a Power Klaw. So an assault squad is probably more practical, but you run the risk of being charged yourself and therefore overrun. And, more important, even if it works; your squad lands, the mob is in CC with the bikes, and then what? Who can they fire at within 12''? They'd need a heavy weapon to get anywhere further than 24'', and heavy weapons can't be fired on the first turn anyway. Maybe there's another mob in range, but then you have the same problem you just had. I can't see any way it would work that wouldn't have worked out just the same either way.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay I don't think I made this clear. You wait to charge with the bikes until the pods come in, as in pod drops, bikes and pod guys shoot, then bikes charge. Secondly, I'm talking about adding this to a tournament style list. I don't want to get whipped because I run into an orc footsloggin' army or say a nid swarm army or any other foot based wave of death. Oh and you are right about the numbers on the bike squads but fortunatly I'd be using blood claw bikers for the most part, squads of 8, two powerfist (not counting wolf guard), and 3 attacks on the charge. I think that changes the scenario a little.

P.S. The bike squad is also nice to throw an hq in so that you don't have to buy a retinue for him to drop in :yes:.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I suggest is get a scout bike squad for 3 reasons. First, scout move. They can get into position more quickly. Second, they are about as cheap as assault squads and have turbo boost, extra toughness, and all those other goodies. Third, They are surviable to get into position and expendable enough as to not loose alot of points.

I have considered your idea as well :yes: I personally love bikes and Im purchasing some at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Hmm. I generally wouldn't use drop pods against Orks at all. Getting into close combat with an army whose specialty is swamping you seems a little counter-intuitive.
    If he is using a 'take on all' type list, like I do, he might not have much choice. I do, however, change the special weapons when needed, like flamers for swarms and meltas for the rest.

Anyway, I try to use the same tactic but with assualt squads instead of bikes. Assault squads coming up the middle, tac squads with heavy weapons trying to keep the enemies head down alittle longer, and drop pods raining down behind them. Great fun when it works.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkWolf View Post
    Okay I don't think I made this clear. You wait to charge with the bikes until the pods come in, as in pod drops, bikes and pod guys shoot, then bikes charge. Secondly, I'm talking about adding this to a tournament style list. I don't want to get whipped because I run into an orc footsloggin' army or say a nid swarm army or any other foot based wave of death. Oh and you are right about the numbers on the bike squads but fortunatly I'd be using blood claw bikers for the most part, squads of 8, two powerfist (not counting wolf guard), and 3 attacks on the charge. I think that changes the scenario a little.
    Right. That does change things up a little; Blood Claws have got more attacks and more models. I can see where you're coming from; it looks like it might work. I suppose the only concern you've got left is if the pods arrive late.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread