No deathwatch with GK, right? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

No deathwatch with GK, right?

Hi all:

So I'm reading and posting to this thread (Deathwatch Army) and I just wanted to ask the DH experts here: There is no way a Deathwatch "kill team" HQ unit could be brought into a DH army that has Grey Knights in it, right? The Deathwatch rules don't "trump" the DH codex when they say "any Daemonhunters army" do they?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Correct. No SM and GK together in a Daemonhunters army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Hmmmm, but aren't the Deathwatch marines an arm of the Inquisition (Ordos Xenos)? I was under the impression we could ally with any other Inquisition army, such as the Witch Hunters / Sisters of Battle. I'll have to double-check my codex when I get home tonight.

*Edit*
    Actually yeah, the Deathwatch codex specifically says you can ally with DH. The DH rules that say you can't use SM with GK's are referring specifically to *inducted* troops. And SM's can't ally with DH by default (save through induction, a clause of the DH 'dex). I don't see any problem with bringing DW into an army with GK's. It's a similar situation to adding GK's to a base-SM army.
    *End Edit*

*Edit MKII*
    Well I took a good look at the DH codex, and although it refers to "Allied Space Marines", it uses the term in the same section as Inducting Imperial Guard. Presumably they word it like this because no one forces a massive, acid-spitting post-human (who can eat your brain to learn your dark secrets) to go anywhere he doesn't want to go. Regardless, the rules for Allied Space Marines are essentially identical to those for Inducting Imperial Guard. These rules are those that prohibit SM's and GK's in the same army. I submit that the rules governing the addition of Deathwatch Marines to a force are independent from those found in the DH codex (since they are found in their own codex), and hence are not subject to the same restrictions. I don't see a problem with adding DW marines to a DH force containing GK's. To sum up: DW Space Marines =/= Allied Space Marines, in the same way that GK Space Marines =/= Regular Space Marines. *Shrugs* Up for the players to decide for themselves at this point.
    *End Edit MKII*

-H
    Last edited by Hasten; December 13th, 2006 at 17:43.
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

The Deathwatch rules don't mention Grey Knights (or Sisters of Battle) by name, just their parent armies. Yes, you may have a DH or WH army with a Deathwatch component, but I still don't think it allows you to have GK or SoB in such an army. It doesn't actually state one way or the other, so you need to decide for yourself if a Deathwatch HQ counts as an allied unit - which is expressely forbidden, since the DH/WH codices actually refer to inducted Marines as ALLIED Marines.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can ally SM and GK, it just has to be a SM army, with GK the "allies."

Much how GK are not SM, and a GK LRC is a different animal than a reg LRC, I don't think Death Watch count as SM for the purpose of any of these discussions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

FYI, I called GW and asked about this. They said yes, a DH army with GK can STILL have a Deathwatch HQ.

I noted the Daemonhunters Codex says armies with Grey Knights don't allow Space Marines.

GW's response: "Yeah, but Deathwatch aren't Space Marines. They're Deathwatch."

Who knew?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

*Does a little happy-dance*

Rock on man, I'm stoked for you! Good luck with the Deathwatch =)

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

GW's response: "Yeah, but Deathwatch aren't Space Marines. They're Deathwatch."
    Classic, truly. :yes: That is siggified. ^_^
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

+ Reply to Thread