Snipers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snipers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snipers

Hey folks, first off hello, I'm a noob to these forums and a GW gamer for almost 20 years. I for one have a problem with the way the sniper rules work. Currently you can only buy them as Special Weapon squad troopers or if you have the Light Infantry doctrine...problem with this is that they must be attached to a squad at all times and do not operate independently. Codex Catachans from the previous edition took a different approach and made them independent but *stationary* for the whole game until removed, bla bla bla. So far, they have not been treated like I think that they should--as independents that can move away from the parent unit as they see fit. Snipers function in a very independent role though they support their main units. They also are able to remain motionless for extended periods, but should also have the ability to quickly relocate to another position on the battlefield once their position has been compromised. Anyone have any suggestions, or are we (my buddy and I) blatantly missing something that lets them operate as they should? If not, then I think that house rules are in order....something to the effect of still having to purchase them as part of a unit, but then letting them wander off on their own to wreak havoc in their own special way, shoot at enemy command, etc. Any suggestions?

Last edited by soldatoj57; December 11th, 2006 at 22:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

A SW squad of 3 troopers (spotters) and 3 snipers is independent of other squads in the command structure (as are all support squads), and can wander by itself. The one bummer I see is that they are not allowed to infiltrate without some form of doctrine.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello and welcome to LO!

Currently all the Snipers are just special weapons teams on their own. But if you wanted a totally independent and solo Sniper then why not use the Allies rule and bring in an Assassin? A Vindicare Assassin might work. It's an Elite choice and an Ally so you can only take one.

Just dress him up as a dude in a ghillie suit if you want to make him look part of the Guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

One reason i can see for GW not making sinpers single models is that a enemy unit would have to waste a whole turn off shooting just to take out one man who costs around 15 points (I think)

Just think about it, 3 snipers infiltrate in cover in the middle of the bored and not only do enemy units have to waste all there firepower on one man they also force your opponent to take target priority tests which would mess up a lot of armys.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Marwynn View Post
    Hello and welcome to LO!

Currently all the Snipers are just special weapons teams on their own. But if you wanted a totally independent and solo Sniper then why not use the Allies rule and bring in an Assassin? A Vindicare Assassin might work. It's an Elite choice and an Ally so you can only take one.

Just dress him up as a dude in a ghillie suit if you want to make him look part of the Guard.
    That would involve spending A LOT of points on vindicare himself, on top of al the points on the inquisitor lord along with the HQ which is a must. So basicaly you have to take the lord and an HQ into an open HQ slot, and then use the sniper in the only available allied elite slot. I personally love doing this, I have every single kind of assassin yet I have found that its hard for them to pay for themselves, and if you decide to take one...you better have a very cunning plan otherwise you are spending a ton of points on something that will die very easily.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Look at the Witch Hunters tactica for =][= ideas.

I'd take a sole inquisitor as a support role, so that the army could benefit from some of the equipment available only to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

or use ratling....i wanted to use them in my army, and just "say" that they are abnormally large ratling snipers, that just happen to be the same size as a normal guard, but i thought having a deepstriking team of 10 with three palsma guns and melta bombs was cooler. Also i field the vindicare in larger games, hes just so darn cool! I also think that having a inquisitor and assasin is a really cool models to have just in your army for coolness factor....a factor that most people ignore, and suffer when they take the boring, same old normal choices, instead of adding some PIZAZZ! (spelling?)
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    That would involve spending A LOT of points on vindicare himself, on top of al the points on the inquisitor lord along with the HQ which is a must. So basicaly you have to take the lord and an HQ into an open HQ slot, and then use the sniper in the only available allied elite slot. I personally love doing this, I have every single kind of assassin yet I have found that its hard for them to pay for themselves, and if you decide to take one...you better have a very cunning plan otherwise you are spending a ton of points on something that will die very easily.
    I'd view that as an opportunity to have some flexibility in the list but I've just been eyeing one of them GK dudes... How are these Assassins' durability? Was thinking of trying one out, the Vindicare, and just pop all those SM Sgts with Power Fists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

very usful indeed. Were not allowed to post rules, but lets just say that you would never have to worry about eatherals ever again.....its a super nasty rifle, and the assasins ballistic skill is real high also, not to mention you can have a inquisitor, another good choice for the guard. And about powerfist? you wouldnt have to worryabout them ever again.....unless you are cursed with 1's......
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

+ Reply to Thread