Friendly Sniper Rifle IG Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pt Friendly Sniper Rifle Army

I'm thinking about putting together a very sniper rifle heavy IG Army, but would it actually be competitive? I know Guardsman's BS is sucky, but I'm banking on lots of forced saves and pinning checks :blink:

Here's a potential list:

Doctrines
    ~Light Infantry
    ~Cameleoline
    ~Ratling Squads
    ~Special Weapons Squads

HQ
    HQ Squad - JO, 4xGuardsmen
    AT Squad - 3x Rocket Launchers
    Special Weapons Squad #1- 3xGuardsmen, 3xSnipers
    Special Weapons Squad #2 -3xGuardsmen, 3x Snipers

Elites
    10xRatling Snipers

Troop Platoon #1
    Light Infantry Doctrine
    Command Squad - JO, 4xGuardsmen
    Troop Squad#1 - 1 Sergeant, 8x Guardsmen, 1xGrenadeLauncher, 1x Sniper
    Troop Squad#2 -
    1 Sergeant, 8x Guardsmen, 1xGrenadeLauncher, 1x Sniper

Troop Platoon #2
    Light Infantry Doctrine
    Command Squad - JO, 4xGuardsmen
    Troop Squad#1 - 1 Sergeant, 8x Guardsmen, 1xGrenadeLauncher, 1x Sniper
    Troop Squad#2 -
    1 Sergeant, 8x Guardsmen, 1xGrenadeLauncher, 1x Sniper

Heavy Support
    1x Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Side Sponsors, Pintle Heavy Stubber

Last edited by fattmeezy; December 14th, 2006 at 02:34. Reason: updating army points total

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

i would upgrade the grenade launchers to something else. They arent that great. This army is pretty good, but if you happen to roll some bad dice, you will be utterly crushed. Is it 1000 pts? i think it is, but i would have to check my codex. Its a good idea, but it needs more anti tank, and some Heavy Bolters...i like it though
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by fattmeezy View Post
    Heavy Support
    1x Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Side Sponsors, Pintle Heavy Stubber
    Why on earth would you give a Vanquisher a Lascannon? It's anti-tank shells are better at shooting at vehicles and tripple heavy bolters are a better option against infantry. It'll also make your tank bit cheaper. I would also ditch the stubber since I belive Vanquishers come with a pintle storm bolter free of charge.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The concept is fluffy, but sorry to say would really lack winning ability.

There is very little in this list that actually kills enemy troops outright and to "pin" enemies, you need to have enemies that have poor leadership. Only Tau and other IG comes to mind, and even then it isn't good enough to warrant sniper rifles.

To make IG optimally effective, you need to take weapons that deny your enemy their armor save. Usually our enemys have 3+ saves, so Plasma Guns, Missle Launchers and Battle Cannons are the first thing I would take.

IMO, the only time I would take sniper rifles is if I had to play a lot of Necron C'Tans or Eldar Wraithlords.

Sorry to pile heaps on your list, but if you want to win, I would drop the Sniper Rifles and go for Missle Launchers and Plasma Guns.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not quite 1000 points, more around 900, but I didn't check it in a codex either.

I'll also preface this by saying I've only fought one battle before, and I'm throwing this list up for review before I start seriously buying my snipers. So I'm not sure if putting the battle in the hands of a large volume of sniper fire is proven effective.

Should I replace the Grenade Launchers with Flamers to help avoid HTH, or Plasmas for the S/AP?

Also, would the Infiltrate from the Light Infantry Doctrine be enough mobility for objective games or should I include a deep strike option, maybe some vets?

As for the Vanquisher, I bought it used and the guy who sold it put a lascannon on it, so until I get it and convert it, that's how it is :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plasmas would definitely be the way to go i think just so you can handle those nasty tanks a little bit better. its funny to think that with all the sniper rifles in this army your opponents forces would constantly be taking morale checks. to think if they failed them. an army actaully scared of guard. theres a first.
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, but plasma can kill the man weilding it, and does not make use of the SharpShooter doctrine... Melta could be better, there. I just tend to have a guy die way more often than actually killing a vehicle.

Maybe at the HQ leve Dropping the snipers, and having more Las/Auto Cannons. Use those 0-5 Support squads to Buff your army against tanks. For you, probably 1-2 more squads, one with Autocannons (95 points) and/or one with Las(110).

That could also bump you up to 1000 points, giving you 6-9 Heavy Weapons(!!!), Your tank, plus whatever you squeeze in elsewhere, like a melta gun in the squads or a Plasma (Just biased against anything that can kill it's own user). You can also squeeze two into your HQ's guardsmen, if you want only 2 instead of 3 of a weapon. Also, Lascannons and missle launchers are cheaper there by 5 points! 2 more Heavy weapons for under 50, likely close to 30 points? Sounds good to me!

Still have 14 sniper rifles. Not quite 20, but you can add some at the HQ level if you find yourself with too much Anti-tank, or the extra points.

I want to see something pinned in Rapid-fire range... now that would be amazing! Also, an argument for the Flammer... What's better than a flamer template? The other guy being pinned, so you can use it again next turn!

Pinning checks are per unit that causes a casualty, not per casualty, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by fattmeezy View Post
    Should I replace the Grenade Launchers with Flamers to help avoid HTH, or Plasmas for the S/AP?

Also, would the Infiltrate from the Light Infantry Doctrine be enough mobility for objective games or should I include a deep strike option, maybe some vets?
    go with the plasma guns. Even if a couple dies, there are still more to go around, while being able to rapid fire in close proximity.I would go with ratlings, but thats mostly because wanted a good "sniper" army. On the objective topic, i would put in sentinals, or an armored fist squad, but thats mostly becuase i find it hard to hold a objective with just troopers... Also,what Diggums Hammer pointed out is quite true, you would need some more killing power. I always have three Leman Russes, regardless of army varient, because they are so tacticaly sound. Snipers are really cool inreal life, but unfortunatly, i think games workshops strayed away from sniper weapons, because they could become super cheap if done correctly. You might look into getting a vindicare as well, the best sniper in thewarhammer 40k universe...
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by _Toast_ View Post
    i think games workshops strayed away from sniper weapons, because they could become super cheap if done correctly. You might look into getting a vindicare as well, the best sniper in thewarhammer 40k universe...
    This is all very true! The Vindicare is the only Sniper I would take now. The old Catachan Snipers were good too. A little more expensive, but re-rolled the failed to wounds made it all worth it!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, interesting stuff. Can anyone link me to a good article on using Vindicare in an IG army? The idea's interesting, but it seems like Vindicare suffers from the same fallacies as the rank and file snipers, minus the three special shots and the increased difficulty hitting him in ranged combat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast