Am I missing something? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I missing something?

For 10-man tactical squads, or grey hunters specifically in my army's case... why would people want to take a rhino (60 points w/ xtra armor+smoke) vs. a drop pod for half (30 points)? I usually take 2 rhinos w/ squads, but I guess I could save 60 points and guarentee they don't get their ride shot up and have to bail out. The only 2 reasons I could think of were:

(1) It's alot harder to use independant characters + 9 marines in a drop pod than in a rhino, cause you have to hope that they both come in on the same reserve roll for the ind char to be able to ride in the drop pod, or else I guess he's stuck offworld for the fight (that's if you could hold him in reserve at all without his own drop pod). A rhino is much better for this, as you place the rhino and troops down during the troops deployment, and designate the character in the rhino during the headquarters deployment.

(2) Drop pods count as immobilized when they land and give your opponent 15 vps... but rhinos usually get shot up too, and are usually vps by the end of the game (at least in my experience)

I guess what I want to know is: is this really a no-brainer like it looks like? Are drop pods probably better than rhinos for equal points, but a definate must-have for half the price?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only reason i can think of is control of deployment. with rhinos, you control where you are deploying as opposed to drop pods, which can scatter. for example, building a rhino wall is no prob since you can control the rhino movement. building a drop pod wall is a little more difficult as drop pods scatter. also, if the rhino sat still for 1 turn without your guys disembarking, your guys are not only shielded from fire, but can charge out and get into close combat (where you want marines to be against most armies) as opposed to a drop pod, where you sit exposed and can get fired at.

P.S.
    I run an entire drop pod army, so i love drop pods. wow, i looked at the grey hunter profile, 2 power fists or 2 power weapons, 2 plasma pistols, 1 flamer, melta or plasmagun? why aren't these guys elites? i would make a pack of 10, 2 pfs, 2 plasma pistols, 7 bolters, and 1 melta gun. throw em in a drop pod and pod em. grab maybe 3 or 4 of these squads. i should maybe switch to space wolves becuase of these guys. free sacred standard too??!??! however no vet sergeant :/
    Last edited by bladeofdeath3; December 14th, 2006 at 09:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well with grey hunters in almost any case I'd say drop pod. The charge isn't that great with them and you're right there ready to get into CC. While drop pods are kinda hard to control they extremely useful. For me I'd never take a rhino. However there are some advantages to a rhino, 1 they're on the table when the game begins, 2 they can pick your guys back up after dropping them off, 3 they have very good control. For me these things aren't that big of a deal but they matter to other people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=SharkBall;841802]The only 2 reasons I could think of were:

(1) It's alot harder to use independant characters + 9 marines in a drop pod than in a rhino, cause you have to hope that they both come in on the same reserve roll for the ind char to be able to ride in the drop pod, or else I guess he's stuck offworld for the fight (that's if you could hold him in reserve at all without his own drop pod). A rhino is much better for this, as you place the rhino and troops down during the troops deployment, and designate the character in the rhino during the headquarters deployment.

(2) Drop pods count as immobilized when they land and give your opponent 15 vps... but rhinos usually get shot up too, and are usually vps by the end of the game (at least in my experience)
    [quote]

Er...i suppose there would be a third reason -

Drop Pods deliver your marines with a higher guarantee percentage. With a Rhino, it could be destroyed or immobilized BEFORE getting your Grey Hunters into effective fighting range (12"-18"). With a Drop Pod, you just have to pray that you don't scatter too far.=)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

Personally I am a fan of Rhinos.

It is true, Drop pods are more reliable in delivering your squads since they can't be shot at before landing.

However - Drop pods offer no mobility after the first drop. Where as a rhino can be used afterwards (for the 5th or 6th turn mad dash towards an objective or tablequarter). Most people won't shoot at the Rhino once it is empty. It can also (if desperate enough) be used for tank shocks (which I think is a slightly under-appreciated tactic).

In most scenarios (apart from escalation) Rhinos start on the table and you are not depending on your reserve rolls. I have seen many a good plan/army defeated because their army arrived one unit at a time, so their opponent could concentrate their fire.

And even though your drop pods rarely get lost (or deepstrike off the table) if you end up to far awav from the opponent's models with your unit they just sit there for a turn or two and take it before they come close enough to make their rapid fire work.

Also - the extra armor and smoke launchers on a Rhino can work wonders.

I am not sure this post actually helped you, and didn't confuse you more

EDIT: clean up my spelling a little bit.
    Last edited by Lamenter; December 14th, 2006 at 15:57.
    Shut up and play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I agree with Lamenter, while the Rhino may not always get the squad to its destination, they have lasting value and a degree of reliability greater than DPs.

I see DPs great for one shot units, like a Dread, Tac Squad with 2 plasmas, etc that will come in, cause damage, and most likely get pasted. With Rhinos, you have much more control of where and when your marines arrive and can even redeploy if needed (to grab a late objective or hose a weakened squad with bolter fire.

Rhinos rule
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I think one more key is that you have your guys on the table for the whole game with a rhino. When you drop pod you can never do anything on the first turn, when if you go second you can sometimes rapid fire the enemy and have some moble terrain to block the troops you didn't shoot at from getting to you, then on the next turn you can move the terrain and rapidfire agian. On a missed deepstrike roll, you don't even have your marines on the table. It is always a scary proposition to bring in your forces piecemeal to me and that is what you get with drop pods.

PS...(and Greyhunters can have veteran sergeants, but they aren't in the normal codex spot...really you should check out the space wolf codex it is pretty sweet, because you can have 3 PF per squad, though I like having 2 PFs and a pair of LCs...Certainly scares most people away)

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

PS...(and Greyhunters can have veteran sergeants, but they aren't in the normal codex spot...really you should check out the space wolf codex it is pretty sweet, because you can have 3 PF per squad, though I like having 2 PFs and a pair of LCs...Certainly scares most people away)
    You should look up the 13th company list in codex eye of terror. When you can get up to 8 powerfists attacks on the charge from one wolf guard model then you'll know why SW are a force to be feared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Drop Pod Assault

Space Wolves make an incredible Drop Pod army, and in my opinion it is a no brainer. The only disadvantage is that if you want to make sure your independent character comes in, you should have at least 4 Grey Hunter packs (9 models each) to ensure the character will be able to join whatever pack rolls to arrive the same turn he does.

Why are SW so well-suited to the drop pod army, you may ask?

1. They all get True Grit, which is great for units that plan on popping close to the enemy and rapid firing him to death.
    2. You can get multiple (up to 3 with Wolf Guard Leader) PW/PFs in each pack, which will make enemies think twice before charging them. (this presents the enemy with a dillema: stay here and get torn apart with rapid firing bolters, or charge and get beat up with power weapons and fists in close combat.
    3. You can get mulitple plasma weapons (up to three plasma pistols with WGL plus a plasmagun) in a pack if you want. Or swap out the plasmagun for a meltagun, for a combination of anti-armor and anti-heavy infantry goodness.
    4. Their terminators can mix-match weaponry, which means you can drop a Wolf Lord with 4 Terminator Wolf Guard bodyguard. You can give them 2xAssault Cannon, 2x Storm Bolters, a TH/CF/or PF (for anti-tank/MC), and the other three can get a single Lightning Claw (reroll to wound, no loss of Initiative, and still 2 attacks or 3 on the charge). If you use Ragnar Blackmane as your Wolf Lord, then these bodyguard will all get +2 attacks on the charge, rather than +1. Thus, on the charge, this unit would get you 7 Master-Crafted Frost Blade attacks, 12 Lightning Claw attacks, and 4 Thunderhammer attacks!
    5. You can drop in a WS5 and BS5 Dreadnought who also gets one more Attack than a regular Dreadnought
    6. Wolf Scouts that Operate Behind Enemy Lines, that don't even need to use a drop pod to come in behind the enemy and help out (more plasma pistols, a melta gun, and a PF if you bring along a WGL).

I honestly don't think a better Drop Pod assault army can be made than with Space Wolves.

Regards,

Valerian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your feedback... I'm not really interested in a full drop pod army... in fact my friends make fun of me for playing mechwarrior cause I always take 2 dreads, venerable dread, 2 vindicators, etc... I just wanted the most reliable way to put my grey hunters more or less where I wanted them to fight from. And, it definately seems that drop pods are more reliable, cheaper, though you have to wait a turn or 2 (which they'd otherwise spend in the back of a rhino, so whatever).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast