Drop Guard Weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Guard Weapons

Hello all,

I am starting a Drop Guard army. I havent had a problem with effective combinations shy of my regular platoon infantry squads.

I dont know whether to put a heavy weapon in them and then drop them into a firing position or give them only a special weapon and drop close and rapid fire.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Why not both? I would say have a very very large amount of squads ready to drop and rapid fire and then have a few off to the side with the juicy guns like lascannons and whatnots.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats not a bad idea. Does anyone else have a special combination or way to use these squads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x3)

I have seen several drop armies without a single heavy weapon...and 1850 list that a friend posted on another forum was this...(keep in mind that was copied and pasted i didnt write it)
    "HSO with LP/ccw
    4 x meltas

Special Weapons
    Demo
    Melta x 2

Special Weapons
    Demo
    Melta x 2

Platoon 1
    JO with LP/ccw
    4 x Plasma

4 x Squads with Plasma

Platoon 2
    JO with LP/ccw
    4 x Plasma

4 x Squads with Plasma

Platoon 3
    JO with LP/ccw
    4 x Flamers

4 x Squads with Flamers

Platoon 4
    JO with LP/ccw
    4 x Melta

4 x Squads with Melta

3 vet squads with plasma x 3"

-Valhallan42nd

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Well I never really take heavy weapons in a guard squad anyway, I don`t like to not move around, but in a drop army I would suggest not to, think about it, when you drop down you can`t fire it anyway, and the next turn all your models are in base to base contact in a nice circle, a single Ordnance shot will kill them all, so you have to move out a little sacrificing yet another shot, and in 2 turns a squad og guard can take a heavy beating.

I would leave it to squads that specialize in heavy weapons and set them up at the start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x4)

If your playing a drop troops army then a basilisk with improved comms is a must as the re-roll
    it gives you for your reserves rolls can make a big difference to the outcome of a game.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by KOS-MOS View Post
    If your playing a drop troops army then a basilisk with improved comms is a must as the re-roll
    it gives you for your reserves rolls can make a big difference to the outcome of a game.
    This is an excellent piece of advice. Sometimes I will actually take two.

IMO, the best Drop armies do not all drop. I like regular squads to have a Heavy weapon and a special weapon (usually a Lascannon or Missle Launcher and a Plasma Gun) starting on the board with a Veteran Sgt and Close Order Drill. (If the enemy has a plethora of template weapons then I will still space my men out obviously!).

I drop all of my Command squads, loaded with special weapons. 2/3 of these will have all Plasma, and 1/3 Meltas. I will then take as many full Stormtrooper squads as my points will allow. Vet squads are better for the points at suicide dropping, but Stormies have better lasting power and hold objectives better. Combine this with a Bassie or two and perhaps some Allied Grey Knights and you have a Skookum (Canadian term for awesome) drop troop list.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would have most squads drop in and rapid fire and minimal drop and shoot with heavy weapons only because they have a 50/50 chance of hitting and u would be better off going into the enemy troops and rapid firering them
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by haydn View Post
    i would have most squads drop in and rapid fire and minimal drop and shoot with heavy weapons only because they have a 50/50 chance of hitting and u would be better off going into the enemy troops and rapid firering them
    I played today with my 1750 list

The Company HQ is set up as a drop unit with 2 spl weapons squads of 1 Demo (with las gun) 1 melta, 1 flamer, and 3 CC with las pistol and chain swords AND the HQ has 4 plasma guns with the junior officer and a 2 sentinel drop unit....(auto cannon and HKs)

The heavy weapon platoon has a drop HQ of 4 Grenade Launchers and a cc junior

There is one Fast attack sentinel with 2 auto cannon sentinels

The rest of the army is a grenadier army with two tanks and a hell hound....etc....

Today the list completely wasted a well handled Tau army

The mech line held the line (improved comms helped the drops come in on turn 2)

The drops wasted both sniper drone units and the ethereal and his honour guard....turn two

The game was mostly over at that point

The other thing?

I drop aggressively (less than 6" away from my target) and let mis drops take care of them selves....

A bad drop can kill you but a deliberate drop out of position is just as bad...
    Last edited by Quietman; January 7th, 2007 at 08:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

wrote this a while back but it may help:

http://209.200.246.44/~librariu/foru...ad.php?t=81550
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast