Librarium Online Forums banner

Purgation Squad points

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Leonatus 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has ben asked befor. I was looking at the Purgation Squad. I was shocked to see that psycannons and incinerators cost 5 more points than a PAGK squad. Why is that?

#2 ·
I can't speak for the GW game designers, but I've always inferred that this is the price you pay for benefit of doubling the number of special weapons allowed in your squad. You'll find this price hike/extra special weapons prevalent in virtually every army's heavy support infantry squad choice (e.g., space marine devastators).

The thing to note is that, provided you max out on those special weapons, they are the most efficient way to get them in your army. This is true for psycannons and the DH, too. Whether you think the points spent on such a squad -- a whole lot of points! -- is worth it is a different matter altogether.

#3 ·
Mainly because Purgation squads have a higher concentration of heavy weapons than normal. I believe the points increase is to reflect effort required to equip and train a more specialized squad, but you can invent any reason you like =D. That said, the price-per-psycannon-toting-GK is still cheaper in a purgation squad, because you're not forced to include the extra vanilla knights.

Cheers,

-H

#5 ·
They do the same thing for Marine's Devastators and I think the IG heavy weapons teams as well.

#6 ·
yes it is all about the ability to concentrate fire of weapons which makes the squad much more effective. GW adds more points to these so they are not too effective for the points taken.

#11 ·
I believe that GW was right to up the price for Psycannons in Purgations Squads, but the Incinerator could have stayed the same. In footslogging squads without the option to deep strike they could arguably reduce the Incinerator upgrade to zero cost.

The reason for Space Marine Devastators to pay so high prices compared to Tactical Squads is more a problem of Tactical Squads paying not quite enough than Devastators paying too much.
Their cost might be OK for large Tactical Squads where heavy weapons are not that useful, being as much a hindrance as an asset. For smaller squads they are definetly too cheap.

That being said I believe that heavy weapons for power armoured Grey Knights are too expensive. Reducing the Psycannon by 5 or even 10 points wouldn´t hurt much.
They are pretty good heavy weapons but when considering that the Grey Knight wielding it loses a lot of close and ranged combat potential, (much unlike IG soldiers or loyalist and traitor Astartes who lose nothing but their basic gun) the price seems too high to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.