Are Smoke Launchers worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Are Smoke Launchers worth it?

I was wondering are Smokes worth putting on a tank? More exactly on the Exterminator. With how I want to load out my Exterminator I should be able to pop off 12 shots most of them I can re-role. I know how it reads in the dex but I'm not sure how well they work in the game. I guess most of the time you would want to use them when your tank is stunned or when ever you take on heavy damage.
    Also I would appreciate any other tactics that have worked for you.

If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    I was wondering are Smokes worth putting on a tank? More exactly on the Exterminator. With how I want to load out my Exterminator I should be able to pop off 12 shots most of them I can re-role. I know how it reads in the dex but I'm not sure how well they work in the game. I guess most of the time you would want to use them when your tank is stunned or when ever you take on heavy damage.
    Also I would appreciate any other tactics that have worked for you.
    Yes, Yes, yes.

There are many times in a game when you get stunned or shaken that Smoke is Invaluable. Smoke is my number 1 vehicle upgrade (followed closely by Extra Armor).

Sometimes at the end of the game you want to sprint to the objective, and again Smoke is helpfull to keep your tank alive.

Any tank or transport that I have has Smoke.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only tend to give smoke to my chimeras. It's handy if you want to rush a unit to a particular point on the map and give them that little bit extra protection. I sometimes find that the mere fact that a chimera is envelpoed in smoke means that often my opponents just won't bother shooting at it that turn. Also, as Diggums Hammer says, it's good to use if you want to rush an objective right at the end of a game.
    So my humble Guardsman's fist is as strong as a blast from his laser rifle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As Diggums said, for a tank, (as opposed to a transport) smokes are worth having to keep you alive when you get stunned or shaken
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Don't bother taking them for long range tanks such as a russ where every shot counts and when the tank will be spending most of its time staying put. They are very useful for hellhounds and chimeras both of which will need to close on the enemy to do any damage and may find themselfs out in the open for a turn of two.
    I think the demolisher would find extra armour more useful as it has heavy bolters to fire on the move and has the armour to take lascannon hits without the need of smoke to protect it.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer
    Yes, Yes, yes.
    No more to say. If it would have been an expensive upgrade, then I would maybe not use it all the time, but still on most tanks in most games. As it stands now, I always use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

If you can remember to use them at the right moment then use smoke launchers. I for one do not have the best of memory so I am likely to forget to use them.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KOS-MOS View Post
    Don't bother taking them for long range tanks such as a russ where every shot counts and when the tank will be spending most of its time staying put. They are very useful for hellhounds and chimeras both of which will need to close on the enemy to do any damage and may find themselfs out in the open for a turn of two.
    I think the demolisher would find extra armour more useful as it has heavy bolters to fire on the move and has the armour to take lascannon hits without the need of smoke to protect it.
    What about when you are counted as "crew shaken," and you can't shoot? You may as well have the (very cheap) smoke launchers, to prevent a penetrating hit next round, as you can't shoot anyways. Diggums Hammer hit the nail on the head (>.>.. no.. uh.. pun intended.. ehe).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

hum well I just feel with the Extermanator with all the shoots and the Evasive Driving Tank Docterine that maybe I souldn't use them. but if they are so usefull mabye I sould give them more of a try.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    hum well I just feel with the Extermanator with all the shoots and the Evasive Driving Tank Docterine that maybe I souldn't use them. but if they are so usefull mabye I sould give them more of a try.
    It's not exactly as if the points cost is gigantic, and you will be shaken at some point. I'd rather move, pop the smokes, and downgrade all penetrating hits to glancing, instead of moving and getting shot down, without being able to shoot back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast