Spceial Weapons Squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spceial Weapons Squads

Aside from deepstriking, has anyone had much luck with Special Weapons Squads using Demo Charges? They seem fun, but only having an effective range of 12" vastly limits their potential. I considered infiltrating them, but having to start 13" away at best forces you to withstand a potential assault before you can use the charge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Counter Charge.
    Keep them behind cover, or in behind another squad (Even though they can still be shot up from there). When you're about to get charged, bust 'em out and let hell fly my friend.

They're great for busting up assaulting marine groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

I guess most people take them for fun, thats the reason if i were to use them as demo charges are anti marine weapons but just ask yourself wouldn't a 5 man veteran plasma squad deep striking kill more marines on average and avoid the chance to kill your own men?
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I'm reminded of Super Stikk Bombas from the Orks with the Demo Charge unit. Its very hit or miss, and tends to be used for fun rather than efficiency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

They can work from a Chimera, but Deepstiking is the way to go. Load up with a Demo charge, and some Plasma Guns. Don't add anyother upgrades and this squad will die by the next turn regardless of it's effectiveness. It is a risk, but the risk can be worth it.

If you don't need or want a Demolishion charge, I prefer a Command squad as the weapons are cheaper.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    They can work from a Chimera, but Deepstiking is the way to go. Load up with a Demo charge, and some Plasma Guns.
    Man, I wish you could actually give them plasmaguns. You CAN give them meltaguns in a special weapons squad, which doesn't really seem worth it to me, unless you plan on taking out tanks with the demo charge. But in that case you would be better off just taking a third meltagun.

I must admit, in the upcoming conflict event, I'm considering taking a bare-bones deepstriking demo charge squad, just for kicks. Its a pretty cheap squad too - less than 50 points! (well, slightly more for me, seeing as I would have to give it sharpshooters and maybe bionics simply for consistency sakes).
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

When I did use them I did two as snipers and one demo. my tactic worked well I would pick off guys from a unit until they started running at me and when they got close KABOOM it worked well. When it worked and it only worked here and there
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    They can work from a Chimera, but Deepstiking is the way to go. Load up with a Demo charge, and some Plasma Guns. Don't add anyother upgrades and this squad will die by the next turn regardless of it's effectiveness. It is a risk, but the risk can be worth it.

If you don't need or want a Demolishion charge, I prefer a Command squad as the weapons are cheaper.

Cheers, DH
    Diggums, they can't take plasmaguns, it would be cool if they could - would compliment the demo charge excellently. You are right about a command squad being more effective. Special weapons squads are for when you have run out of command squads and elite slots.

Personally I would say the demo charge is over-rated whatever you combine it with. With a 6" range, deepstriking squads have to go dangerously close to use it, and get pretty lucky with their scatter dice to even make use of its one shot, then of course there is always a good chance it could scatter back, particularly if you are DSing and can't predict exactly how far away from the enemy you will land.

If it could be taken as an alternative to a heavy weapon in infantry squads, that's where it would have a role, but as an alternative to a special weapon they suck. Just buy another meltagun in your SW squads.

The counter-charge idea Ghandi suggested is an interesting one I hadn't considered, but if you have guys in the cover in front it might be a bit harder to pull off than that. Sure, wait for them to get within 12" and run forward, but you are talking about the enemy being within 12" of a squad that may be 3-4" in front of you, moving through difficult terrain I think it's unlikely they will actually be close enough to throw a demo charge at them in most scenarios. It's only really going to work if they are within about 6-7", which is a bit of a less common occurrence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Xethemez View Post
    Diggums, they can't take plasmaguns, it would be cool if they could - would compliment the demo charge excellently.
    Duoooh!! It has been a while since I acually fielded a unit!:wacko:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you Guardsmen generals think it'd be worth it to have a squad of 6 with 2 flamers and a demo charge to attempt to flood the enemy with templates?

If not, it was just a random train of thought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast