Whats better, Chaplian or Marshal (BT Question) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats better, Chaplian or Marshal (BT Question)

Hey. Im trying to put together a Black Templar army list for an upcoming tournament at my hobby store (2000 pts.) and Ive run into a snag. Should I take a MOS or a Marshal as my. I like the MOS because if I placed him in my Crusader Squad in the LRC, they can disembark and kill everything thanks to the speacial rule which allows to reroll any missed hits, making it able to get more attacks with him and the squad on the charge. But, the Marshal provides the Leadership needed to be able to pass those moral checks, espeacially ones for Righteous Zeal. Plz comment.

P.S. Can you also have 2 Emperor Champions in one Black Templar army, because I heard you could.

Last edited by ColonelMendez445; February 4th, 2007 at 18:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMendez445 View Post
    P.S. Can you also have 2 Emperor Champions in one Black Templar army, because I heard you could.
    No, you can't. See the BT FAQ for details.

In terms of the chaplain vs the commander, it depends on what you value more - the increased effectiveness on the turn a particular unit charges, or the valuable extra ld that applies to your entire army.

Neither is really better than the other - a commander in an offensive role is still just as vicious as the chaplain, but will mean your units are less prone to running away (and considering that Templars are particularly prone to taking morale checks, they're well worth having).

At 2000pts you can easily afford to have both. So I'd say do that .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget BT still have the advisers rule so if you want to give the Marshal a command squad you can throw in a chaplain to help out, all in one slot!:w00t: Other than that, I suppose the Marshal benefits the entire army more but the chaplain can give one unit the knock out punch. So I'll just say Marshal in general.
    Brute force ALWAYS works, its just a question of having enough of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Black Templars are an assault army. The Chaplain is much more valuable than the Commander in this role. You want to pass morale checks because Righteous Zeal will allow you to get up on the enemy quicker and thus take advantage of the Chaplain's Litanies of Hate. Unmatched Zeal makes the squad accompanied by the Chaplain Fearless, thus they automatically pass the Morale test. They also come with free Crusader Seals which allow you to re-roll your Righteous Zeal roll if you want to. Chaplains also get a free Invulnerable save (Rosarius) and a free power weapon (Crozius). I my opinion, the Chaplain is the hand down winner when it comes to BT HQ characters.
    Just out of curiousity, whats next? Maybe you can make an issue about the fact that GW didn't define the action of 'rolling' a D6 to actually mean dropping it in such a manner as to produce a random result; thus making it perfectly acceptable to just put them down with the face up of your choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well rule wise the chaplains exemplify the black templars fluff and face it one at the helm of a assault squad termie or jumper provides you with a hammer that'll smash through anything from 32 gaunts to a mounstrous bloodthirster

on the other hand the marshals have really cool models and the extra ld helps somewhat...but not that much in 2000 points you should have both anything less a chappy is much better
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for leading a big crusader unit, i'd tale a chaplain. they're more likely to get into assault, adn when they do, the whole unit gains litanies, which is pretty brutal against the enemy. however, i'd still take a castellan beefed up in an assault squad to maximize damage in a 2k pt game. (granted, i do jump packs, lit claws and iron halo minimum, so he's staying as a castellan... but he's brutal in CC)
    "One thing that intrigues people to fantasy is how different it is from reality. Make sure you remember that difference, and you'll have a wonderful time."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, after looking through this, I decided to go with the Marshal for my army. He will be joining a assult squad and I feel that leadership is the most improtant currently due to all of the moral checks I'm going to make. Thnx.

P.S. look at my army list and tell me what you think

+ Reply to Thread