Space marine commander - what wapons should I use? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space marine commander - what wapons should I use?

So I just got my Spac Marine commander but I stuck on the weapons that I would enjoy painting without considering the rules. Did I make a good choice?

Also, I decided to paint cool skulls all over the underside of his cape to make him look just that extra bit sweet.

I want to do a cool design on the back of his cape (like a battle scene or logo). Any ideas?

I'm in a band www.jael.com.au

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that would be alright. You get the lightning claw so no armor saves and you have the storm bolter with 2 shots and its an assualt weapon so you can move and shoot. It all depends on how you will use him. I personally would have given him a power sword and a pistol. That way you could stick him in a squad and he would be a good support character. Your character right now could be used for support, but it will be expensive point wise. Just my 2.

The Daywalker

P.S. Beautiful paint job btw.

Erik Moraki's Great Company 16/4/7
    Borgut "SBD" GreatStrider's Ogres 6/1/2
    An'Gorath's World Eaters 3/0/2
    Sigurd GreatFang's Wulfen Host 7/4/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice painting there! My commander has Artificer armour, Bionics, Iron Halo, Frag and Melta bombs, Plasma Pistol, and a Master-crafted Lightning Claw (hooray for re-roll hits AND wounds!).

The plasma pistol is nice, because you can use it to take out high toughness baddies, and lightly armoured vehicles. Having the master crafter lightning claw gives him the ability to have almost guaranteed 4 kills (wounds) per round, which is defiantly worth the extra little cost.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that thing around his head an Iron Halo?
    I'm in a band www.jael.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My preference is a power weapon bolt/plasma pistol combo. The lightning claw works just fine, but can be a bit pricey. I wouldn't use a power fist because you dont want a character striking last in close combat. I generally wouldn't use a storm bolter on an HQ not in terminator armor. Combi weapons are generally useless for their points. Your commander should turn out fine if you use him right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

A lot of people go with a Commander for an HQ choice over the Chaplain and Librarian because they are cheap. With that in mind I've seen a lot of people load out there Commanders with Storm Bolter, Power Weapon and Iron Halo. I've personally put mine in Term. Armour and then taken the Adamantine Mantle instead of the Iron Halo. I attatch him to a Term Command Squad. The terminators become fire magnets and when they do die I don't loose as many points as if I seriously kitted it out. But it comes down to preference in the end.

For now I would stick with what you have becomes you've done a darn good job of modeling and painting (I'm jealous). Most friendly games will let you play the model with a different configuration, so for now I wouldn't stress the thought that you may have put the wrong weapons on him.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I'm have pretty much the same set-up as Magnet_Man.

Commander
    Power Weapon
    Bolt Pistol
    Iron Halo

I like the Bolt Pistol better because it gives you that extra attack, which is great. The fact that its cheaper is only a minor pro. If I were you I would pick one of two:

- Power Weapon w. BP: Nice and cheap. Gives your attacks some extra support against aything in armor. It also lets you fire a few shots before you head in to CC

- Pair of Lighning Claws: Full CC format. This works well too! You have no ranged ability but when you hit CC, $h1t hits the fan in a big way!

Other option are IMO not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon is the way to go. But since you have already done an AWESOME paint job, I wouldnt want to ruin it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

What you have looks just fine!

If most folks think its unusual, then that is to your advantage.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Well first of all it isn't a power weapon. It is a lightning claw. Unless he wants to be a power weapon which I didn't see.
    A single lightning claw isn't that good at all that is like taking a devastator squad against a heavy armoured guard army.
    For the cost you might as well take a pair of lightning claws if any. If you don't want the lightning claws then I would go with a power weapon the a pistol of a sort. Normally the commander is a well rounded unit which is good so here is a link to some good commander choices.
    Those are some choices. But most of them depend on what type of army you play.
    .T
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast