A Little Help.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Little Help....

Right, firstly, i'm a chaos n ork collector... and without insulting anyone, i very much dislike space marines... however, i took a friend to GWS, and he was somewhat smitten with space wolves (go figure). He's currently moving house though, and can't afford to buy, so i remembered something, the Ork in me keeps EVERYTHING. So i rummaged and dug out 47 marines, including 6-7 old leader type people and one old ragnar and 10 teminators... These are all metal and old 10 years ish (some date to 1992), and badly painted (i wasn't such a good painter in my early teens). [paint stripping obviously needed]

So, quite an extensive set of no armed, no back packed, un based metal models... so off i set, in search of the missing bits, and low and behold, found tons, aswell as some old plastic marines (the ones when plastic was like a yellowish colour [OLD])

And this leads to my the main part... I wanted to assemble them for him (he more wants to just paint) so i figured, i could probably make him an army if i nick a fellow players codex, heheh but what army to go with... it will definitely not be hugely conforming, as there will be a large range of model types... so i was thinking of back when the eye of terror was about, maybe i can make them into a rag tag bunch of hardcore vets, with patched armour and such? i dunno...

this is where i ask... would any of you have ideas? suggestions? unit ideas? that could help me convert these marines into an army to see the field of battle

a large portion of my extras are from most feilds of play, DE, Ork, SM, CSM, Tau, Kroot...

ps... tanks i can do (Ork Speed Freak) and i have plenty of materials for making anything needed

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

i was thinking of back when the eye of terror was about, maybe i can make them into a rag tag bunch of hardcore vets, with patched armour and such? i dunno...
    Is possible, there is an army list in codex eye of terror for the SW 13th company (basically chaos slayers). They use salvaged armour from the chaos marines. Very cool list (and dead assaulty).

Of course you need not use that list, just normal SW representing a long campaign without access to supplies works.

As for making an actual army.

Probably easiest way-

Ragnar as your HQ. He can have the termies as his bodyguard.

2 squads (anywhere from 6-10 models) with bolters and close combat weapons with upto 2 plasmaguns in there. This will get you the core of your army.

Giving each squad a leader dude with a powerfist is also not a bad idea (if you were building a real army this is a must).

You may need another HQ (just use a sergeant type model to be honest).

That lot there will net you at least 1000 points (actually you could be closing on 1250) but this is mainly due to the termies (they cost a ton of points but are dead awesome).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. Well the first thing that I can think of that would be cool to do with all of those ragtag marines is a Deathwatch themed army.

Although the rules only exist for the Deathwatch Kill team, I think you still have something here. Forget all the independant chapters. Just put together different squads. Paint them up like different chapters and field it as a generic Space Marine army. Then put together a Deathwatch Kill team as an HQ and you may have something unique.

Sure you wouldn't get the special rules for each squad. But I think an Army that has Ultramarine, Dark Angel, Imperial Fist tactical squads, a Space Wolf Terminator Squad, Blood Angel assault squads, Mantis Warrior dreadnoughts and Black Templar Land Raiders would look really nice on the table.

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

i really like the death watch army idea above.
    that would look pretty cool. it would take me back to the days of allies
    and such ( i think that was second edition 40k )
    or
    you could maybe try a space marine army but use the chaos
    codex instead of the space marine one.
    fluff wise it could be a group of rebel marines or
    marines left behind on some campagin in the eye of terror.
    forced to use what ever they can steal / find to carry on the fight.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Personally, if you're friend is new, it'd be best to start with Vanilla Marines.

This way, he can get accustomed to the 40k rules and how Space Marine essentially work. After a few games, try out either a Legendary chapter or a Traits army.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread