Considering a Veteran Squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Considering a Veteran Squad

So I was flipping through the codex the other day looking for units I don't usually play when I started looking at the Veteran Squad. So I was toying around with some various options and it seemed pretty neat, especially putting TH on all the models.

I'm curious as to what people think of them in general and what your typical layout is for the squad? Do you put them in a transport? Which Veteran Skill do you give them?

I was thinking of a 9 man squad (all my tact squads are 9 man) with TH all around, plus power weapon, lightning claws and a PF on the sergeant. Then taking Infiltrate.

Look forward to the responses!

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I would stick with a powerfist, veteren sergeant with powerfist, infiltrate, and no extra terminator honours. It is way too expensive (except with DA vets ). Just a few powerfists and infiltrate plus lots of meat shields should do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Veterans I see as marines with something extra. Not a must, not at all, but useful at times. A nice addition but not a necessity.

Whether I'd use them and what for exactly depends on the veteran skill. You want a real marine squad to infiltrate without getting Traits for it? Use veterans? Want a normal infantry squad with better close combat powers? Use veterans with Furious Charge (or a Command squad, works too). Want to improve your anti-tank? Veterans could do it.
    The first and the last are quite useful, the Furious Charge option is harder. Almost always Assault squads and Command squads can do it too with good effect.

As for lay-outs...

Veteran squad [255]
    9 marines w/ bp&ccw, frags, powerfist, meltagun
    vet sergeant w/ frags, powerfist, bp
    Infiltrate
    Just a good get-up-close-and-assault squad.

Veteran squad [225]
    9 marines w/ heavy bolter, plasmagun
    vet sergeant w/ frags, powerfist, bp
    Infiltrate, True Grit
    Usable if you also take the Trust your Battle Brothers trait. This is a very good get-up-close-and-rapid-fire-like-hell squad. They also have a good chance of ending up in combat, whether intended or not, and there they can hold themselves up quite well.

Veteran squad [110/115]
    5 marines w/ plasmagun, missile launcher/lascannon
    Tank Hunters
    Just an advanced tank hunting squad. This really hurts tanks and doesn't have a high profile like Devastator squads. The plasmagun is a nice touch, with Tank Hunters it basically becomes S8: posing a danger to armour, thus giving a back-up weapon in case the heavy weapon fails and if they decide to move they can still shoot tanks within 12" should they need to.

For Furious Charge I don't have a real good setup.

That's about it.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Well I havent used them much. But my guess would be E mance telling you what to do with them because he normally always has them. In his lists he makes on here.
    Well the box set of them isn't that bad really. I just planned on creating my chaplain out of the one with lightning claws with donte's jump pack. That would look sweet but some extreme shaving of area that is hard to get.
    Ok now back to the topic. Well like what I just said and guy above me said infiltrate them. I am not to sure if you could equip an commander to them right away or not. But that would be good if you could. Remember they can be very pricey which is what you want to watch out for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

I'm the Guy Above nowadays.:ninja:

Anyway, if you want to infiltrate them no commander sadly. However, if this is a problem it's easily helped by using an infiltrating Command squad. All you'll miss is a potential second powerfist or pair of lightning claws, but in return you can take a Company Champion.

The price of an infiltrating Veteran squad is high indeed. Hoewever, it's actually quite a good price. In a full 10 men squad the skill costs you 30 pts. Compare that to the cost of a Rhino or a Drop pod, for essentially infiltrate is a transport: it brings you close to the enemy. Moreso, you get to react to the enemy's deployment and you get there completely safe and in turn 1. Think about it from that angle and you'll realise that it's a very good bargain.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Unless you run out of traits, its generally better to use tactical marines.

Peace, that way you dont run into any confusing upgrades, like extra P.fists, or lighening claws, which generally are overpriced.

If you want a good assault squad - use an assault squad.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I have a kill team that I use in my army w/ little changes.

5 Veterans
    2 w/ power weapons, 1 w/ powerclaw, infiltrate.
    the rest w/ bolt pistols, close combat weapons, frags.

It comes out to 5 points more than a kill team but kill teams get frags for free. And in kill team I use furious charge instead of infiltrate (that would be a short kt game).

Bacially they replace the void created when GW took away my Assassin. Yeah I'm still bitter.

+ Reply to Thread