Space Wolfs (Plz Help) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Space Wolfs (Plz Help)

I am building my long waiting SW army now and i wanted to ask some tips on them:

fisrt here is what i have at the moment:

Rune Priest/Wolf Lord
    10 Blood Claws, 2 Power Fisrs/Meltagun
    6 Grey Hunters, Power Fisr/Meltagun

I want to build an 1500pt force and as 2th HQ i was thinking of using an Venerable Dreadnought.
    Is an Wolf Guard unit for the Wolf Lord good or to point heavy.
    I like to be mobile so i wanted to put Everything in an Rhino and add 1 or 2 land speeders.

Hope someone can help a puppy in need

Grtz Nexus

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Its all about preference in my opinion; depending on how you load out you HQ's can help give you an idea of where you want to place them in relation to other units. It mainly depends how you want to equip the wolf guard really because n matter what they are going to be mor expensive but have access to a few more goodies. (As well as also being the only models in the space wolf army that can count as a terminator squad.)

So dependingon what you want the wolf guard to do should really tell you if tey are going to be to expensive for you. I personally prefer staying my hand when it comes to wolf guard, keeping my HQ's with my grey hunters or blood claws to give them just a pinch more power when the hit combat.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

My opinion, (you can check out my list in the list section), I take a rune priest, blood claws and grey hunters. As my second hq i would say Ven Dread. Re roll for first turn is priceless. Welcome to the Pack, and good luck.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Haven't started my pups yet, but the VD would be my answer as well. Look at the stats on it, it's awesome!
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I want to build an 1500pt force and as 2th HQ i was thinking of using an Venerable Dreadnought.
    Is a very solid choice, probably one of the better HQ options.

Is an Wolf Guard unit for the Wolf Lord good or to point heavy.
    They suffer much like chaos chosen, they can be the ultimate killing machines but cost too much.

For a starter list I advise against them until at least 2k and/or you know what you are doing.

I like to be mobile so i wanted to put Everything in an Rhino and add 1 or 2 land speeders.
    In such case do not take wolf guard, just ake a 8-9 strong blood claw unit (depending if the squad has a wolf guard) and stick your lord in with them.

----

I highly suggest you do not use the rune priest, he is far too expensive for his abilities and even then can easily cost 200 points for what then new librarians get for 150 ish add to that he only has two wounds means you only take him if you really want him.

Typically the wolf lord and wolf priest are superior in nearly every way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

I'll tell you what I use in order of preference for my Spacewolves.

1) Venerable dreadnaught(first 750) its expensive, but such a great companion to the puppies on the field, it has ranged firepower options, it kicks butt in CC, it is hard to kill, it does a lot for the SW that they need and revolve around, an all around winner for my army.

2)Runepriest(2nd 750) this is where you start to run into a lot more range, cover and all around balanced armies, his ability to stormcall is not only useful on the defensive, but MOST useful on offensive action. Stormcall and then assault- you strike first.... yum.

3)Wolfpriest(3rd 750) This guy is cheap, very good and resiliant, an allaround good choice for what you get for points levels.

4)WGBL(4th and on) they are CHEAP, strong and diverse, you kick these guys into gear with a frost blade and toss em in a unit of GH or BCs, if you're feeling brave, a termie unit with wolfguard is very nice.

Mobile SW is what I play, and everything goes in rhinos with smoke and extra armor.
    they cover eachoter, the lead rhino pops smoke and obscures the rear rhinos. Its great. It take some timing to get the assault down, but once you do, your oponent won't know what hit em.

Landspeeders I feel are a good overall option the tornado variant lends itself to a dual anti-armor/horde role and works quite well.

I would personally keep the wolfguard bodyguards out of it until 2k, they are a very pricy unit and just aren't expendable enough to fit in a lower points game. (but they ARE fun)
    I just keep my wolfguard to WGLs for each squad to max out my powerfists in each squad.

Hope this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Thx for the replies so far and here is an list i made

LINK

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    I'll tell you what I use in order of preference for my Spacewolves.

1) Venerable dreadnaught(first 750)
    2)Runepriest(2nd 750)
    3)Wolfpriest(3rd 750)
    4)WGBL(4th and on)
    No Wolf Lord?
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I think there are some keys to playing spacewolves (which are normal rules that apply to all armies). And there are some special units that I think should almost always be chosen.

First always max out on weapon options. Every Grey Hunter Squad should have 2 powerfists and a plasma gun (melta is nice too, but the plasma is normally a better match for the squad, rapid fire doesn't hurt that bad as the squad will have it, and the extra shot and equal range to the rest of the squad just makes sense). Then tack on a battle leader and give him lightning claws and a wolf pelt. Put the squad in a rhino and rapid fire people with your bolters...when they charge you dominate them because they can't isolate your power weapons, and you will get 4 power fist attacks, and 4 lightning claw attacks. If they don't charge you you have a dominate unit that is near their lines and can drop lots of hurt on lots of things.

Second, and this one seems a little crazy, but always take a WGBL and termies. I if you take 7 termies you can get 3 assault cannons (each one only costs 50 points), then you can fill up the other four slots with termies with just storm bolters, they cost 33 points each, and are a mobile unit that is durable, and can lay down a ton of fire...and lets face it, no matter how tough normal terminators are, they die much faster in hand to hand, so keep these guys shooting and guard them with a unit of bloodclaws.

To answer your HQ question, a ven dred is nice, but so is having a wolflord that can drive up to their lines and hop out with a squad, and when he gets assaulted gets to counter assault, gets his bonus attack, and already has 5 attacks so six at init 5 when you get charged...that is pretty incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10 View Post
    First always max out on weapon options. Every Grey Hunter Squad should have 2 powerfists and a plasma gun
    Not to contradict you nichodemus, but I find that six man grey hunter packs with two power weapons and a meltgun make for a fairly powerful dedicated anti infantry unit. (Of course the squad is dedicated to going after average and mild toughness opponents and flanking/distracting.)
    The pair of fists and plasmagun loadout is good, but I'd say that relying on that is a bit of a waste since you have to make sure the rest of the squad has bolters in order to maximise firepower and killing potential.

but always take a WGBL and termies.
    An eight man squad of those termies is powerful, but they still cost you over three hundred points for just eight models depending on three models to do the bulk of the work.

and when he gets assaulted gets to counter assault, gets his bonus attack, and already has 5 attacks so six at init 5 when you get charged...that is pretty incredible.
    Space wolves that counter-attack do not recieve the attack bonus for charging; so if the lord had two single handed weapons then when he counter-attacked he could only ever get five attacks at most.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast