Why do people like Sharpshooters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Why do people like Sharpshooters?

Well, after the very good points made on the Carapace Armor thread, I thought I'd create a topic about the one a lot of people like: Sharpshooters. I don't understand how its worth it. It gives a 1/12 accuracy bonus to your troops, for 1/6 of their cost. And it can't be used on Veterans or Storm Troopers. By not using it, you get more troops and the difference in firepower is made up for with more firing troops- not to mention a few more troops to soak up enemy fire. So why take it? I can sort of understand it if you take other upgrades, so its only 1/8 of their cost or whatever, but it still is a very small bonus. So why do people take it? Does it earn its points back with Heavy Weapons or the like? Share your thoughts here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

I have had Sharpshooters earn its points back many many times, that extra on a 1 re-roll is useful as hell, sure people have done all this maths rubbish, but it really has no bearing on the game at all, I will always remember times Sharpshooters has saved my big behind, helping take down terminators, creatures and many things, and all for such a low cost.

I see no reason why it should not be taken, especially if your army has over 100 BS3 models, in fact, sharpshooters should be a mandatory option for all Guard squads hehe.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I think it's a good upgrade especially since, contrary to carap-armour, you can elect to give it to only certain units. On a HW-unit it can really get it's points back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Sharpshooters is actually a doctrine I will use. I find it worthwhile and effective on my HW squads, but don't bother putting it on my line squads. :rolleyes:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't read if you don't like math.

60 Guardsman w/ Sharpshooters will roll 1's 10 times. With the re-roll you are effectively taking 70 shots.

70 Guardsman without Sharpshooters cost the same amount of points, will also take 70 shots, but have 10 extra wounds.

I would only take Sharpshooters for Heavy Bolter support squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

The kicker is the special and heavy weapon squads. These will eventually reach a cap where it becomes impossible to take any more and by doing this you increase the damage a limited number of guys can do. Even when you aren't at the limit, it helps them do damage when they are still few in number. Sharpshooters simply plays on the guards' strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by kadun View Post
    Don't read if you don't like math.

60 Guardsman w/ Sharpshooters will roll 1's 10 times. With the re-roll you are effectively taking 70 shots.

70 Guardsman without Sharpshooters cost the same amount of points, will also take 70 shots, but have 10 extra wounds.

I would only take Sharpshooters for Heavy Bolter support squads.
    I know you said not to read if you don't like maths, BUT, in reality, maths in 40k proves nothing, 40k os all down to chance, you can't trust maths to give you a accurate answer.

I mean sure:

Quote Originally Posted by kadun View Post
    BUT, what if I get twenty 1's, or 15, or 13, or more or less, maths does not work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Stella, I'm sorry but that arguement proves nothing. Although 40k is based on luck because of the dice, dice are still based on the laws of probability. If I roll a die 10,000 times, I will most likely come out with a very even number of rolls for each side. Now there are rare occurances and luck, but if you took every dice roll ever made, they would be about equal. Probability won't tell you the effectiveness of a squad in a game, but it will give you a good approximation of how it will do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my yes's and no's on sharpshooters. I think its totaly useless to give it to squads, makes things get exspensive and most of the time the squad is going to be wiped out. Only thing I think its worth taking is iff you take loads of support squads and if you have a heavy weapon platoon or two. Thats it. Don't forget you could be wasteing your time on the rerolls. The lasgun is only going to do so much of damage if at all. One of those doctrines if you need to maximize your shots, also one of those doctrines worth advoiding sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Sharp shooter = Best IG Doctrine EVER

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast