Can someone write me a 'guide list? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Can someone write me a 'guide list?

Hi, I'm currently working on a Vostroyan all-infantry list, and I was wondering if someone could give me tips on what to do and what not to do. My Doctrines are:
    Carapace Armor
    Veterans
    Iron Discipline
    Close Order Drill (But how do I go into drill to receive a charge without losing my Heavy Weapons fire?)
    Sharpshooters (I did the math, its worth it)

I intend to use only Lascannons, Heavy Bolters, and a squad of 3 Mortars as my heavy weapons. I'm only going to use Plasma Guns, Flamers, and Meltaguns as my special weapons. So, working with those restrictions, can anyone give me pointers?

Last edited by catbarf; March 4th, 2007 at 04:37.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Drop troops would really help an all infantry list. Deepstriking command squads, veterans squads and special weapon squads with plasma/flamers/melta is really rerally nasty. I would suggest a JO with the honorifica and a standard bearer for your hq, keep him out of sight and use his leadership for your squads. If you play smart with your command squads you dont have to take vet sgt.'s or vox casters for leadership, and that saves you loads of points. Iron discipline is good, carapace...(you know how i feel about that), close order drill is the best doctrine avaliable to guard...a free bonus that has advantages and only minor disadvantages yay!...oh and you dont "go into colse order drill to recieve a charge" you just start that way and stay that way. Your only problem with that is template weapons. Its a nuisance but the best way to deal with it is to line your squad in a row, so they can only hit so much at a time, 3 with a small and about 5-6 with a large. Needless to say in an all infantry your going to want to jam as many heavy weapons and special weapons as possible into your list. Maximize on them, your choice of heavy weapons is good, mortars...eh they have their limited uses but their not total garbage like many think. All infantry guard is a pretty tough list, just learn your target priorities and the army plays itself. Good luck.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

Thanks. I'm just not sure what to replace for Drop Troops- maybe I can make do with infiltrating Vets? Also, I think one big thing I'll have going is that my squads have both carapace and sharpshooters- so, being Guard, and all-infantry list is a sea of bodies, with somewhat greater competence than my opponents would expect from IG. Should be a fun surprise. Oh, and when I give a command squad, say, four meltaguns, or 3 plasma and a medic, how do I get them into a good place to fire without exposing them to my enemies? Because without voxes, if I lose a command squads (and thus iron discipline) the whole platoon crumbles.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Sharp Shooters is indeed worth the points, but only on support teams. I believe BOXant did the maths somewhere a long time ago.

With Close Order Drill, you won't be using it unless you need to charge something. The instances are far and few between, but sometimes they crop up. If you're using a counter attack command squad, you can also use it to make your platoon officer I5.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post
    Sharp Shooters is indeed worth the points, but only on support teams. I believe BOXant did the maths somewhere a long time ago.
    BOXant's post.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x3)

You wouldnt use all you comand squads to preform suicide missions, the best way would be to dediccate maybe 2-3 for ldership and use whatever is left over for some kick ass weapon support. The best way to get them into position is to drop them in. SHarpshooters is good, but it isnt great, i would dump that for drop troops and then dedicate a few squads to coming in with special weapons. It is one of those "ace in the hole" type strategies we guard have. It allows you to place instant fire support anywhere on the table for dirt ceap and have the ability to bust up tanks, heavy infantry, and light infantry.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

But again, how do I deploy them for fire support without exposing them to enemy fire?

And I did the math as well, I have no idea how that guy got the idea that the heavy bolter does the same damage whether Sharpshooter or not, but that's wrong. If he multiplied because the Sharpshooter guy carrying it costs more, that's in error- 7 troops without sharpshooters and with heavy bolter cost the same as 6 troops with both. The difference in points value is factored in the fact that you have one less lasgun firing. The troops cost more, not the heavy weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x3)

The point is that they are "suicide squads", they come in bust the crap out of the leman russ/landraider and then get plastered in the next turn. They are great because a. more often then not they can bust up a realy juicy tank and more than double their vp's, secondly the enemy now has a squad up in his face that he absolutely has to deal with so the rest of your army gets a small respite. It is best to do this though with 5 man vet squads w/ 3 special weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

Right, I understand that use of Vets, but the issue I'm seeing is how to get the Command Squads laden with guns into a position to shoot without them almost having a 'shoot here for VPs and morale damage' sign above their heads.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I'm seeing is how to get the Command Squads laden with guns into a position to shoot without them almost having a 'shoot here for VPs and morale damage' sign above their heads.
    The short and simple answer is - You don't.
    When opting to see the enemy and get a clear shot at his units you also chose to be a target. Especially if you want them to have Heavy Weapons.
    You should make use of terrain of course. Keep them out of sight until the moment of fireing arrives (plasma/melta) or Get them into a vary good cover (bunkers?) and stay there.
    You could also get them a Chimera and keep it as a mobile cover for them, but that would work against your all-infantry approach.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast