Penitent Engine Effectiveness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Penitent Engines

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Underpowered

52 42.98%
  • Just Perfect

22 18.18%
  • Overpowered

2 1.65%
  • Never seen one in action

39 32.23%
  • What's a Penitent Engine?

6 4.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Penitent Engine Effectiveness

Has anyone every used a Penitent Engine effectively or seen one used well? I am still up in the air about them. I personally find them to be too unpredictable to be worth the points. But I would love to be proven wrong, since I have always liked the models, and have been flirting around with them for a long time. Give me your opinions and your tactics so I can rekindle my love!

Last edited by frozencore; March 5th, 2007 at 04:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

I feel so useless, I have never seen one in action, but if I have I think they're well balanced, their lack of ranged weaponry makes up for their superiority in close combat IMO.
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I like them. They are exremely difficult to use well. Pen Engines are what help turn the WH army into an Assault Army. I know. it's not what WH do well.

I like to run them with a screen of a couple of rhinos, and in squadrons. Your opponent needs to get a destryed or an immobilize on the tables to stop one of these things. Admittedly, open top helps them do that. The squadron formation helps YOU assign the wounds. That helps you. Once these things get into CC, it's rough on the enemy.

PE's cheaply increase the target number going for the enemy. esp. in a Mech. Inf. force. for 240pts, you've added 3 threats that their anti-tank need to pay attention to. Bump the number up to 6 of them, and enemies start to get worried at the horde of light tanks coming at them. Your opponent needs to choose whether to focus on transports, which can be very deadly, or to handle the crazy walking PE's, who may not be a threat out at range, but definately will be once you get to them.

They might not be so predictable, but I think that if used in concert with mounted troops, they might not be so bad. place cover well in the opening of the game, and you might get some good flamer fun, and CC smooshing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open topped armor 11= dead unit on a 4+ glance or a 2+ pen hit and vulnerable to blast weakness. They have to move towards the nearest enemy unit and their effective firing range is a flame template. So even if you try and screen them, if your opponent is smart, he will run something up your flank forcing you to either continue screening or leaving the PE's to run off on their own. Finally, they eat up heavy slots. So, every squadron you runs means not taking an Exorcist or a retributor squad.

The positives are its a very cool model and fluffy looking. Can get d6 attacks and they are DN CCW's.

Conclusion, they need to be beefed. Give them closed tops and dump the khorne berserker trait (let them fleet).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think to keep them fluffy and to make them more worth their points that a priest can join the unit and he will keep them from going berserk. That way as long as you had the priest there you could control them and keep them focused.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

And how would a unit of "Wound" model leading a squadron of "Armor" models work? I say Redant's idea is good - take away teh oppen topped (after all the driver is psyched out to not care about pain and such) and let them decide where are they going - after all they DO have a controller.... Giving them fleet would be topping on the cake...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    I think to keep them fluffy and to make them more worth their points that a priest can join the unit and he will keep them from going berserk. That way as long as you had the priest there you could control them and keep them focused.
    Unfortunately, there isn't a way to stop holy hatred. Its always on for PE's. Also priests can't join a PE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Unfortunately, there isn't a way to stop holy hatred. Its always on for PE's. Also priests can't join a PE.
    He's saying as a revision PE's should be able to be lead by a priest. I think if Priests could be taken like PE's in a suit of armour with an AV instead of a save and then lead PE's and still confer there abilities that they have currently that would be cool.

And how would a unit of "Wound" model leading a squadron of "Armor" models work? I say Redant's idea is good - take away teh oppen topped (after all the driver is psyched out to not care about pain and such) and let them decide where are they going - after all they DO have a controller.... Giving them fleet would be topping on the cake...
    Even though they don't feel pain, if you let a murder choose what he wanted to do, he definitely wouldn't stick around and fight for the Inquisition, especially after being tortured by them, he'd probably turn to chaos and fight Witch Hunters. Though I do think giving them FoF would be better then Holy Rage.

JMO.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Penitent Engines can be quite handy.

As with any weapon, as with any tool, understand how it works and it should serve you well.

Although increasing its armor protection wouldn't hurt.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Penitent Engines can be quite handy.

As with any weapon, as with any tool, understand how it works and it should serve you well.

Although increasing its armor protection wouldn't hurt.
    I'd upgrade the armour to that of a Dreadnought, its still won't be as tough as a dread simply because it lacks the ability to take good guns and a drop pod, but it'd still be an improvement. Second line of your three is definitely the most truest.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast