The New, Unimproved Dark Angels - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The New, Unimproved Dark Angels

Hey there guys, long time Dark Angels player here. I wasn't sure where to put this, so i figured i'd put it here. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I am so upset with the new book, I can't even find the words to describe it. I purchased my book no more than 2 hours ago, and I am very upset with it. I got a Space Marine codex with rules that disallow me to do what I used to be able to. I can only have ONE, ONE assault cannon on my landspeeder squads. I don't get a jinx save anymore. I can't be stubborn. I can't make my HQ's very unique, with only 3 different setups. No more company standards. The only pluses I saw were the Vet squad, which I would have to say rocks, and the new Master of the Ravenwing...a 14 front and side armored Landspeeder...beautiful. Oh, and the ability to split up a 10 man squad. So, five amazing things about MY army that I loved, all taken away from me. Replaced with some things that are nice, but in NO way make me want to continue playing this army. It deeply saddens me to see my beautiful angels go to the dumps, to get the living crap beaten out of them.

Games Workshop, it is time to start making this a game, not a way to make millions more because I have to buy new models and completely re-make my army, which isn't going to happen. I only hope they don't screw up the Space Wolves, because they are my other army. _____________________________________________________________

Last edited by Katie Drake; March 16th, 2007 at 03:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to hear you hate the codex, i actually liked it. I dont play dark angles, nor to i intend to, but i thought that this codex was actually nice. You hit on most of the things that changed, and what makes it great but i think that being able to split up your combat squads is amazing

all other marine armies have this problem, you cant take any heavy weapons in a squad because you have to move, and keep moving otherwise you will be outgunned and lose. This way you can load all your heavy weapons into one of the combat squads and run the other five up to do a good job. Also they count separately for claiming table quarders which is also an amazing perk. So that alone i think is just awsome

Also, this is streching my knowledge of the codex, but you can take a land speeder with a normal ravenwing squad and doesnt that then restrict it from being targeted? I play fantisy more, so if someone has all those targeting rules down pat you can clear this up for us

Also the new codex is just so SPIFFY!!! it consolidates much of the fluff that was lost and scattered for the DA and lets the players get more then a brief 20 page pamphlet. And can you honestly say that you were happy with just 20 pages of an codex?

Also, cant you take things from the normal marine armoury? meaning company standard? or did i miss something. And plus, the straight up DA armies iv seen before the codex were just bi-polar plasma hords that i just walked through, and now i am starting to see some different armies fielded and finding some new (some, not alot but some) new tricks being pulled. So i think that this new codex spices things up for the other players, not only the people who play the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

DA cant take stuff from the SM armoury, they are totally seperate armies.
    I like the changes brought on by new codex, though I'd have like rules concerning fallen or Allies. Every page of fluff references both these major points but there is NO rules what so ever to represent it on the battlefield.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

sorry to hear you hate the codex, i actually liked it. I dont play dark angles, nor to i intend to, but i thought that this codex was actually nice.
    Thats kinda interesting, actually - i've noticed that the only people who really dont like the new codex are the long time players.

all other marine armies have this problem, you cant take any heavy weapons in a squad because you have to move, and keep moving otherwise you will be outgunned and lose. This way you can load all your heavy weapons into one of the combat squads and run the other five up to do a good job. Also they count separately for claiming table quarders which is also an amazing perk. So that alone i think is just awsome
    This is true...Although other armies could always just purchase two squads instead of one for the same effect, its only really usefull in large games where the force organisation chart has been maxed out.

Also, this is streching my knowledge of the codex, but you can take a land speeder with a normal ravenwing squad and doesnt that then restrict it from being targeted?
    Despite being part of the same fast attack choice, they are set up and fielded individually, like IG infantry platoon squads.

Also the new codex is just so SPIFFY!!! it consolidates much of the fluff that was lost and scattered for the DA and lets the players get more then a brief 20 page pamphlet. And can you honestly say that you were happy with just 20 pages of an codex?
    This bit, i will agree, is fantastic.

Also, cant you take things from the normal marine armoury? meaning company standard? or did i miss something.
    Nope. Its a bunch of set options, NONE of which include terminator honours (which means that all special/normal DA characters with the exception of Azrael are worse in HTH than all other chapters. I wonder how they balanced that out? They are also a lot less shooty now.)

And plus, the straight up DA armies iv seen before the codex were just bi-polar plasma hords that i just walked through, and now i am starting to see some different armies fielded and finding some new (some, not alot but some) new tricks being pulled. So i think that this new codex spices things up for the other players, not only the people who play the army.
    This is true, but still...Its hard to get used to losing a lot of the things you liked about the dark angels. I do feel that the new codex is a good one, but there were many things I found dissapointing.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i agree it is a cool rule with the combat squads, but that really just isn't enough to me. Now i have to go through, and take of ALL BUT 3 assault cannons, cuz i can't use them anymore. i think it is bogus that they would completely screw me over like that. now i have to, if i want the army i want, and get all new models, and i just got this army a little over a year ago, and am not eager to fork over another, at least, 400 bucks, after spendin almost 7 on this current one...AND IT'S STILL A DA ARMY!!! I mean what the heck? I love the vets, but in order to get the squad i'd want, i would have to buy them all over again, and that bothers me deeply. and as far as fluff goes, i could really care less. this is a game system, not a story book. I got into 40k about 9 years ago to play the game, not for a bunch of fluff and pretty models. It just is rather drastic in the changes they made. I was just thuroughly dissapointed.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

This has been talked about enough. Invariably whenever a new Codex comes out, someone gets upset, and they go to their favourite site to rant about how their army was ruined. The fact of the matter is that the Dark Angels are different than they were, but no less playable. There are plenty of people that are very happy about the changes made to the most sinister of the Space Marine Chapters and don't focus entirely on the bad aspects of the update.

Remember folks, the glass is half full. You're allowed to be unhappy about the changes, but we don't need a new thread about it every week.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread