The new dynamic of static warfare... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

The new dynamic of static warfare...

With the onset of all the new Death korp models: with heavy stubbers, heavy mortars, Thudd guns, And carrage mounted big weapons, there has been an add on to the dynamic of the game. I mena lets face it: OUR BASSIES DON'T MOVE!!!

So I want to open a floor for how this new static should be addded to the next update of the codex. This includes bringing back tank varients, other possible artillery options, the disscussion of making death korp plastic, and updates to the current list of doctorines. I'll throw in my opinion later.

Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

They should bring it all back to the codex, tank variants, heavy mortars, thudd guns, heavy flamers...i want it all. Give us some more detailed regimental divergences (like the chaos codex legion lists) give us a plastic set of great coat guard and then perhaps conversion sets to turn them into whatever regiment we want. They should also make some of the less used units more affective to make them more appealing (ogryns that dont suck anyone?)

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

Yeah, I'd like to see official rules for all the artillery- because if GW makes official rules, chances are they'll make plastic models. And plastic Thudd Gun = good.

Perhaps they'll make plastic artillery along with the rumored plastic Baneblade?
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the idea of the Death Korps artillery / infantry dynamic, something I noticed right from the start with playing IG - the only artillery options were self propelled. Game balance wise the artillery does go some way to redress the IG's lack of mobility, now the guns can find you wherever you are I can see this being seen as too overpowering.

What it really needs is the artillery models made official, plus something like the High Command squad in Chapter Approved. The idea of a High Commander with a retinue makes far more sense than fixing senior officers into 5 man squads with very limited options of who can accompany you. Make the most senior officers more like the Inquisitors retinue, limit them to 0-1, keep the platoon squad leaders in the same rigid formations as they are, and tie them to the number of platoons you have.

And we need an offical tourny approved Armoured Company list. Whats the point of being a tread head when you can't use it often ?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

I'd say that making the towed artillery in groups of two battterys would be cool as hell. You know two towed bassie or medusa batterys. Then the mediium weapons in batterys of three. Get a battle cannon piece in there. As well as something like the Russian Katyusha rockets.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by C/-Rt3r View Post
    They should bring it all back to the codex, tank variants, heavy mortars, thudd guns, heavy flamers...i want it all. Give us some more detailed regimental divergences (like the chaos codex legion lists) give us a plastic set of great coat guard and then perhaps conversion sets to turn them into whatever regiment we want. They should also make some of the less used units more affective to make them more appealing (ogryns that dont suck anyone?)
    Yes! I agree with this guy, all the way. I don't understand why GW ever took our tank options OUT of the codex in the first place. It's not like all the variants are hard to manufacture - I think each russ variant just uses a different main gun, and maybe an extra doodad to glue onto the hull. So that could easily become "LR Exterminator Upgrade Sprue", etc.

And I'm sure everyone's heard me complain about the lack of a proper Grenadier HQ choice - that's what ultimately turned me away from collecting such an army. I like the suggestion someone gave about a 0-1 choice for a "High Commander"-ish HQ choice.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

I think the real reason GW aren't using them at the time is simply the size of most boards isn't the kinda of size for most of the stuff FW makes.

Which is the reason I think GW did Epic 40K.

I would like to see beiiger boards and longer, more tactical games, but I don't think its likely at this time.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

As Mike pointed out, those Artilary pieces have no place on the front line battlefield that a 6x4 sized board generally represents.

If the eneemy is that close to your artilary, its probably too late.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma Catcher View Post
    As Mike pointed out, those Artilary pieces have no place on the front line battlefield that a 6x4 sized board generally represents.

If the eneemy is that close to your artilary, its probably too late.
    There are a number of historical precedents : WWII German 88mm anti tank guns, German PAK guns, British 25 pounders ? Even current 81-120mm mortars that may equate to Thudd gun calibre and range (relatively) ? All are/were deployed close or at the front line. Or any number of World War 1 era artillery, that was employed in direct fire mode. In a ponderous slow moving, low tech army like the Guard direct fire artillery makes a lot of sense, as using light tractors or even horses would enable it to keep pace with the infantry, and provide something heavier than man portable weaponry. Using horses etc like the Germans did in the first half of the war reduces logistical strain. Mountain corps and jungle troops would even disassemble light artillery pieces and carry them in bits across difficult terrain.

Compared to todays army's, I can see your point, esp with regard to Whirlwind (should be much longer ranged) and Bassies (super heavy artillery). Compared to earlier eras which the Guard are based on, and lighter artillery, I would disagree with you.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

I still have to say no, the scale 40K 6'X4' boards use makes them about 200-300 mters long and mayby 350-450 Meters wide, or maybe something else, I haven't mathed it all out.

I'll admit if they got Bassies at teh front lines why not the lighter stuff? but GW is wierd like that.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast