Rhinos-How and When to Use Them - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Rhinos-How and When to Use Them

1.0 Intro
    Ah, The glorious Rhino APC. It's thick armour plates protect this bad boy from all but the hardiest small arms fire. That's right, anything but S3-4 weapons can hurt this tank. So, why take it then? Well these answers are obvious.
    1. Faster Movement
    2. Potentially Less Casualties (But maybe more, if your luck is horrible.)
    3. A storm bolter
    4. Mobile terrain if need be.
    Okay, now what about those drawbacks(?) you may ask.
    1. Low armour
    2. Most, is only some even small arms can Glanc this bad boy on the rear
    3. Reffered to as the 'Rolling Coffin'
    4. Can cause some horrendous(sp.?) casualties.

Okay, so you may be wondering why in the world you would take something known as the 'Rolling Coffin'. Well, if you play this coffin right, it can work wonders, as well as elavating the ammount of thinking you have to do with posistioning your vehicle to enemy fire and how to keep it hidden. While this may require you to actually think during your 40,000 match (Yes, I know your brain hurts already) it makes it a lot more fun. Now, onto the important stuff as you may think (Meh, this section seemed important to me, maybe just because I wrote it though...)

2.0 Weapons
    So, what to put on your Rhino APC you may ask. Well, here I will go through all the options you can buy and that are already on this beauty.
    2.1 The Normal Storm Bolter
    Ah, I love this weapon. 2 shots, shooting when moving, it's definitly awesome. Now, you may think of it as puny, but I've seen this take out 2 (yes TWO) terminators in a lucky game. So, Don't doubt this baby's firepower base, it can do wonders at times.
    2.2 The Pintle
    Meh. Not worth the points. Woopdedoo, I get to fire at someone at my rear, where I should be facing anyway! If you take this, you need to be slapped. Waste of points, all that needs to be said.
    2.3 The Hunter
    Ah, I love this weapon. Besides the fact that it is a HUGE waste of points, its fun to toy around with the one shot. I would never recommend this. Once again, points better spent elseware.
    3.0 Other Upgrades
    Hm. Not much to say here. Guess I should move along...
    3.1 Extra Armour
    Ah, The awesomeness of extra armour. Trade in that No move and shoot for no shoot, just what the doctor ordered. Always, I repeat ALWAYS take this upgrade. At the cost it is just priceless.
    3.2 Smoke
    Aha! The great duo, extra armour and smoke launchers. This this is also priceless, the look when your opponet rolls that 6 with his super-dooper-fancy-large-cannon-of-uberness to penatrate(sp?), and hey look, it's a glance. So sad, pack up and get moving cause you're still alive boy. Always take this upgrade. ALWAYS.
    3.3 Got the Spirit?
    Power of the Machine Spirit, well doesn't that sound fancy? Meh, cost too much for what extra amour can basicly do. Not worth it on any tank but a vindicator. Never on a rhino.
    3.4 Run 'em ova' Suh!
    The Doza, Oh sorry Dozer, Blade is okay. It's nice on boards with overly-monstrously-populated-any other word to descibe this? terrain boards. It's cheap enough so it you truely cant buy something else, this can work out. But only with extra points.
    3.5 I see them! I seem them!
    The searchlight is well, as the name may suggest, for searching in the night. It's so cheap it may almost (ALMOST!) be worth it, but not at all because of that annoying drawback. Maybe with extra points? I believe dozer blades are more worth it if you have those extra 4-ish points.

4.0 Tactics
    Now, finally, if your braisn arn't too fried already it's time for the real thinking to occur! There are 3 basic tactics when using a Rhino. These are-
    1. Roll up, Jump out, Fill em full of lead.
    2. Mobile Terrain
    3. As an actual transport to well, transport your payload.
    4.1 Roll up, Jump out, Fill 'em full of lead.
    Ahh, The 4th Edition rhino rush... All you do it take your 10 Rines, run up to about 11-12" infront of the enemy and deposit your payload. This should create a lot of bolter fire to throw in the face of your enemies, and hopefully destroy them. This generally works if you have true grit because then charging doesn't exactly benefit you a whole lot.
    4.2 Mobile Terrain
    So, your rhino if unscaved (Okay, maybe a little damaged) and you have no clue what to do after you delivered the men inside. The answer is easy, mobile terrain. Just move it around to attract enemy fire and block enemy LOS. This feature is extremely easy to use and is effective as well.
    4.3 Hmm, maybe I should transport in my transport?
    Well, this may be shocking, but why not use this for what is was made to do. Transport. Just get to the objective/enemy/whatever, and unload your payload. This is the easiest and can be extremely effective, just use this wisely and not while screaming CHARGE! in your living room of the 5th floor apartment that you just bought, and the landlord doesn't like you already, creating that one thing he needs to kick you out.
    If you do not move the rhino, you can move and assault out of them. I think one of the best rhino rush tactics is to start up 12", move 12" on the first turn, second turn turn rhino around (doesn't count as movement), the troops inside are deployed about 3" out (2" plus the size of the base), they move 6" and can assault an additional 6. That's 3" into the enemy's deployment zone(Unless you use 6x4 tables like I do) on turn 2, or, if they're too far away, 9" by turn 3. If you have enough guys you should be able to weather the enemy shooting phase and get into assault with powerfists.

5.0 Now what?
    Okay so, the first rule of rhino's is-
    Use more than one.
    Try to use a lot, create a confusing lot to screw up his priority when targeting. In my mech BT i use 4 rhinos and a vindicator. This keeps my vehicle count high while still shoving enough troops to tie him up for, well, awhile

6.0 Conclusion
    Well, now that was informing wasn't it?
    6.1 Thanks
    I do have some thanks to people-
    Local Bunker Employees- Thanks for helping over the 4.5 yrs of gaming
    LO Community- I've learned a lot from you guys, thanks for it all
    Fellow Warhammer 40,000 Players- Without you, figuring this out would be a horror
    Ezekiel1990

Comments are welcome.
    Please, how can I make this better? Suggestions? PM them to me or just post them.
    Thanks in advance for any future help, yes I will add you to the thanks section if you want.

Well thats all. If needed I'll add more later.

Last edited by Killswitch; March 18th, 2007 at 16:54.

I'm back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Best part of this post:

Reffered to as the 'Rolling Coffin'
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Hey, atleast I didn't call it the 'Super fly' '- .- Or maybe even 'Supa Pimpin''

And I was honest eh?

I'm back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I like the 'Rolling Coffin', least I got a joke now when I put mine on the table.

Especially against my Necron friend.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I think you should mention that if you do not move the rhino, you can move and assault out of them. I think one of the best rhino rush tactics is to start up 12", move 12" on the first turn, second turn turn rhino around (doesn't count as movement), the troops inside are deployed about 3" out (2" plus the size of the base), they move 6" and can assault an additional 6. That's 3" into the enemy's deployment zone on turn 2, or, if they're too far away, 9" by turn 3. If you have enough guys you should be able to weather the enemy shooting phase and get into assault with powerfists.

Cheers,
    Ezekiel1990

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

For about the same points, you could get an assault squad, which will do the same thing, only be able shoot with 2 special weapons, all bolt pistols, and charge more reliably.

If your DAs - which is the only reason i can see taking this upgrade, it might be worth it, however assault squads will always do better, as they are about the same cost, and get more attacks on the charge.

So "Rolling Coffin" seems about right.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I wanted to add something. I play alot of COD lately and as such have alot of crap laying arounc the board on which my Rhino could get stuck. Now, I see you thinking; "A Rhino in COD, you must be mad!" But no, Its great to get those important first units to "the best building". You know the building with the great LOS and your strategem in it. Medicare adds alot if your other guys are trailing. Anyway when they are in there you can go tank shocking or play living barrier. Works great!

+ Reply to Thread