Techmarine on bike - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Techmarine on bike

Hi all

I was thinking that instead of putting a Vet Sarge with PFist on a bike, putting a Techmarine on a bike. The difference in pts is only about 35 or so. Can an IC on a bike use both the power weapon and a bolt pistol ? If so, this would make for 4 power weapon attacks and a power fist attack from the servo arm on the charge, which seems a fantastic use of points when attached to a regular bike squadron. OK, they are an IC, but I don't think there would be that many attacks left to come back at them.
    Can anyone see an obvious disadvantage to this ? Has anyone tried it ? I do have the elite slots free from my current list.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

My Biker Chaplain does get the additional attack from an additional close combat weapon (I give him a Bolt Pistol). This had me thinking several times, but it seems there are no concurrent statements to this practice.

If you use a Techmarine with a Full Servo-Harness he would get his additional attack one way or the other (as the FAQ say his Harness-mounted Plasma Pistol counts as an additional close combat weapon). I don't know if you can get more than one bonus attack this way - I don't think so.
    (The Harness would also give you a second Servo-Arm. But of course the points difference to a Vet Sergeant would then be much greater.)

There already are some threads concerning Techmarines on Bikes. One of them is here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=86756 (Techmarine on a bike with full Servo)

I have never yet used a Techmarine on a Bike even though I use a lot of Bikes. But I have made good experiences with a tooled-up Techmarine (I used him to charge and kill of wounded Carnifexes, etc), so I think it is not a bad idea.

Maybe you will find some more opinions in older topics. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeez, how did I miss that thread ? ? Anyway, thanks for that (again). I hadn't planned to use a servo harness : just seemed too many pts to put on a model, and I don't think I will : it just seems to go against the grain for some reason.

Cheers

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Okay, so no Servo-Harness it is, then. I think it is an awesome model nonetheless.

(Even though a Scions of Mars Techmarine with Servo-Harness on a Bike with Adamantine Mantle, Iron Halo and a Plasma Pistol really is by far more breathtaking [and expensive]. If you want a Marine one-man-army: go for something like that...
    Five Powerweapon and two Powerfist attacks on the charge, after speeding 12" and shooting -one possibility- 2 Plasma Pistols [one twin-linked, the other rerollable with the Signum] before. [I am not sure if the Harness-mounted Pistol could even fire twice as if stationary, because it is a mounted weapon just like the twin-linked bolters on Bikes.]
    But sorry, I don't think this is what you were looking for.)

So, back to your questions:

* I think that characters can get the additional attack for two close combat weapons on the Bike.

* I have not yet had specifically a Techmarine on a Bike. But I have plenty of experience with Bikes and some with Techmarines, all of them good. And I see the combination working well.

* I would not fear the Techmarine's death in CC because of IC rules. Just watch out not to charge him up against something simply tougher and stronger than him, or quicker fighters like Genestealers (who will easily rend him to death with their many attacks before he can strike back).

* "only about 35 points or so" is dangerous to say (I am not allowed to state what else you could get for that, but you can probably figure that yourself). But of course he does quite some things for his points, and if you can spare them - field him!
    But I would look at him rather as an addition to the Powerfisted Veteran Sergeant in the Bike squad (even if this seems a little overkill) rather than an alternative. (Though the latter should work too.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

While the combination is quite a nice one, if expensive, you may want to consider the fact Dark Angel Techmarines can't have bikes at all, meaning that if GW release an updated Marine Codex then its likely that your new model will become illegal.

I myself have a techmarine on a bike but I dont recall ever actually using him..
    It was just something I did on a whim.

Either enjoy modeling him and playing with him, risking the possiblity he may become illegal or be boring and do something else. Either way enjoy
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A techmarine on a bike could get costly points-wise, but it could really add to the identity of the force, make it stand out. If you ever make a model, it would be very unique!

+ Reply to Thread