RavenWing-Some Help? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RavenWing-Some Help?

have been interested in RavenWing since I saw the new Box set, I really love bikes and jetbikes, and I am asking, is this a good army at all? Or is it just one of those "We Look Awesome" armies?

I really love the way its set-up and I have always wanted to play a Bike only army, and this and Eldar seem like one of the only armies to do it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

A RW army is definitely one of the best looking armies out there, but it is quite the challenge due to the fragility and high points cost of bikes. You need to stay mobile, keep the enemy at arm's length, and avoid assault except for the coup de grace.

Luckily, the new DA Codex makes RW plenty strong and gives you options to take other units (normal marines, DW, etc). A pure RW is still difficult to play, but you can get some backup if you desire.

Look here for some examples of great RW armies and some good tactics fo a RW army.

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/Home.html
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ravenwing are a good solid army... that present a different set of challenges to a commander, as i DA player who has a squad of bikes and a revenwing LST in his list i will say that if used correctly they can be terrifyingly effective in most types of enegagments.

my two cents... cheers.
    "It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the dark gods of chaos... and i will save your soul, even if you die in the process"

-Interrogator chaplain Asmodai-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An all-bike army is a bit more challenging than most army's but very satisfying if you like a challenge. You will always be outnumbered and in some cases by grotesque margins. You really need to make maximum use of terrain and maneuver in order to hit where and what you want while minimizing your own casualties. While this is true in general, it is critical with an all bike army.

You forgot another list for using an all bike army. The Swift As The Wind trait in CM allows you to create an all bike force (or all bike/LS force in the case of my Storm Riders ).
    Yes, there are female marines and my Sunhawks will let you know in a major way.

Not all the Emperors Children turned coat. We will redeem our name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, but I still love the look of the ravenwing a lot more.

Is the 6 Bikes, 1 Attack bike, and 1 Land Speeder for 130$CDN a good deal to start with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When used together, it is over 400 pts. I don't know Canadian money but in US $, it is the best deal in a long time. You get something like $140 in stuff for 90. I wish this box had been around 2 years ago when I started my RW....I spent WAY too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KabalOfTheDecayingSoul View Post
    have been interested in RavenWing since I saw the new Box set, I really love bikes and jetbikes, and I am asking, is this a good army at all? Or is it just one of those "We Look Awesome" armies?

I really love the way its set-up and I have always wanted to play a Bike only army, and this and Eldar seem like one of the only armies to do it well.
    Ravenwing army is a really tough to play army. They suffer the same problems that the white scars and other highly mobile, low model count armies have. For the mobility, you will be getting a similar model count to that of the deathwing, without the armor.
    THAT is pretty tough to use right. I used to play ravenwing(back in the day, mind you but the principles are the same) and it was really tough to get the hang of(I don't think I really ever did). If you are up for a challenge then I say go for it, but "worth it" is all up to you, if you expect them to be a very robust and easy force then they are not for you.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played Dark Eldar at first for the mere challenge, now I want RavenWing for awesome look, I will definetly play them, it will feel that much better winning with an army that needs more tactics than Sit'n'Shoot.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

We have a Space Marines forum. Use it next time.

~Moved.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Man, I understand the appeal of ravenwing armies: Thats why, once my skitarii are all painted, I will be building one!

I'll be aiming for 1500 point army, and I think two box set deals will get me there (with the other stuff I already have from my dark angels).

Sammael (jetbike or landspeeder, will have both available)

12 bikers, including a powerfist, powersword, flamer, 2 meltaguns, standard bearer, and apothecary.

2 attack bikes (multimelta)

Landspeeder typhoon, 3 landspeeder tornados, landspeeder with multimelta + Hflamer. (all seperate units, legal thanks to attack sqaudrons!)

Deathwing squad, 3 LC termies, 1 with storm bolter and powerfist, 1 with thunderhammer/stormshield + cyclone launcher.

I think thats about 1500 points. Give or take a couple of points - i'll have to work out the fine print later.

You see, one great thing about the new ravenwing armies, as ==Me== stated, is the fact that it doesn't have to be all bikes! The scout move/deathwing strike is too good a combo to pass up (although, tactically, its probably not that great a move most of the time. But it will look impressive to the newbies! And I might just be able to hit that tank side armour without overexposing my squad).

And as for challenging, well, that goes without saying- thats exactly what draws me to the army! That and the contrast with IG, I would be hard pressed to find something more opposite on the spectrum of 40K armies.

Ah well, there's my ramble. Dunno if there's actually anything usefull in there, now that I think about it, but i've typed it so I'll bloody well submit it anyway...
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast