Anti-Armor IST: Krak or Melta Bombs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Armor IST: Krak or Melta Bombs?

In a 1500 pt list, as a troop choice i have a suicidal anti-tank IST squad in a rhino with 2 melta guns... i had some points left over in the list so i decided that they can fire their meltas and rush in with grenades, which suprisingly worked out in a couple games before when my ISTs were attacked by a dreadnought. However, i had a full squad of 10 with krak... this suicide squad will probably only have 5.

So my question is this... would it be worth it to equip this squad with melta boms or krak grenades? if i pick up melta bombs it means i also have to pick up a veteran, and the points it'll cost means i'll lose armor on a dreadnought (tllc/ml). so which are better? and is it worth it to drop the EA?

or is the whole idea of this suicidal anti-tank unit just stupid? yes i'm a noob go easy...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i cant imagine a suicid squad in a deamon hunter's army because everyone is so expensive, but i think i can relate for i too have anti tank trouble. by what you have told said the rino plus 5 man squad plus 2 meltaguns and either meltabomb and vet or krag will turn out to be about 130 pts with nothing on the rino. for i think the same price you can get a 5 man seriphim squad from the witchhunters with melta bombs. they will be a much more effective suicidal squade and tank hunting capablity is just as good or even better they would move just as fast since they have jumppacks maybe even deepstrike and for one turn they could use a faith point which could be handy. all in all i think they would suit you much more and the EA would be a great tank killer but don't make him a suicid if you use him try to get as much as possible from all your units. suicid and dice don't mix. suicid is only good if you can be sure of the outcome but since dice are involved nothing is for sure.

hope this helps ;D!
    jimmy1316

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by INQ View Post
    So my question is this... would it be worth it to equip this squad with melta boms or krak grenades? if i pick up melta bombs it means i also have to pick up a veteran, and the points it'll cost means i'll lose armor on a dreadnought (tllc/ml). so which are better? and is it worth it to drop the EA?

or is the whole idea of this suicidal anti-tank unit just stupid? yes i'm a noob go easy...
    Nothing stupid about the 'suicidal' IST rush, though it says something about your army when your cheapest, most expendable units are another army's elites =P.

Regarding the grenades, though, I hardly think it's worth it to equip them with anything, myself. Even for a minimum sized squad that's still 10 points, which you could use to buy another IST to provide more protection for your real armour-hunting weapons: the melta guns. That's just my opinion, though, so your milage may vary. If you wanna give em grenades, I'd opt for the krak variety, unless you already have a vet sgt. To add him, plus the melta bombs, will hardly be worth the 15 points. Remember that your target will most likely have moved, so it'll be pretty dicey to hit it with that one 15 point (effectively) melta bomb attack.

Regarding Seraphim: I love em, but they can't deep strike, unfortunately. Definately a good option to consider if you have the points to spare, though to really make them effective you'll need at least 160+ points.

Good luck!

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another IST may be good too... i guess i had tunnel vision on the fact that melta guns are assault weapons, and trying to take advantage of that. but now that you mention it, an additional IST might be a good idea.

what i was thinking of with the nades was that i could disembark and at least stun or immobilize the bugger. next turn shoot meltas, assault. if it's still alive, then since vehicles with no WS don't lock you, run out, shoot, run back in for more nade hits each turn until it's dead or they get someone to kill my ists, which would be kind of hard since i'll me moving around the vehicle at 12 inches a turn and using it as cover.
    Last edited by INQ; March 24th, 2007 at 02:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I think the Krak grenades are pretty close to a waste, though it sucks when you get locked up by the drednought that you just wanted to kill. If you have a sarg or an attached inquisitor with a telehomer deffinately add the melta bombs, if you haven't already spent the points on the upgrade then I don't think the meltabomb is worth the points if you need to get both...until it works for you just one time, when it cost 15 points to take down a vehicle that cost close to 100.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I'm not for the idea of 'suicide' IST squads. They work in IG armies, because IG Stormies can deep stike, elimentating the cost of the Rhino. An IG suicide squad with two Meltas is 75pts. Ours is over 130 pts, and our Rhino can get popped on the way!:cry:

I don't mind taking properly equiped squads of 10 Stormies, who hopefully can last a while and call in Grey Knight support, but they are too expensive to be "throw aways".
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by INQ View Post
    what i was thinking of with the nades was that i could disembark and at least stun or immobilize the bugger. next turn shoot meltas, assault. if it's still alive
    The only problem I see with this idea is that anything that just survived four melta shots is probably not going to have trouble shrugging off the lower-strength krak attacks. The only things I can think of that would survive this kind of abuse are skimmers ('lith, falcon), so you're not terribly likely to even land a hit with the hand-to-hand attacks. Again, this is opinion only, so feel free to experiment =). If you have success, come back and tell me how wrong I was, so that we can all learn =D.

Good luck,

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    I'm not for the idea of 'suicide' IST squads. They work in IG armies, because IG Stormies can deep stike, elimentating the cost of the Rhino. An IG suicide squad with two Meltas is 75pts. Ours is over 130 pts, and our Rhino can get popped on the way!:cry:

I don't mind taking properly equiped squads of 10 Stormies, who hopefully can last a while and call in Grey Knight support, but they are too expensive to be "throw aways".
    the idea came to me because i needed more anti-armor than 2 dreads, but at the same time i wanted to use up a troop slot to get my GKs into FA slots (one mini purger squad takes up the other troop choice). since these ists cost about the same as a tllc ml dread, i might as well make it soak up a troop choice. in addition i have a couple of bodies more to fodder and a vehicle for cover or whatever else i may need.

and to hasten: of course i may just as well be totally wrong with these suicidal tank hunters no telling either way till i try it, which won't be for a while because of school...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I think your melta's have to be enough. Grenades just don't do the trick most of the time, and all Melta bombs is a effective, but expensive trick.
    As already said, if 4 melta hits don't turn a target to ashes, then your grenades aren't going to make a big of a difference. (unless 10 man start throwing meltabombs at you )
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

you can't equip a squad of IST with melta bombs. you can put them on the sarge, but there is no option for equipping the squad with melta bombs, only krak. krak is bad anyway, so i suggest you don't take it.

remember, say no to krak kids!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast