2000pts CC/balanced IG armylist - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pts CC/balanced IG armylist

hm not sure if this is the right place to post army lists (otherwise a nice admin could place it in the right place, in that case sry for the trouble. ) Well, I opened the IG codex for the first time since I've decided to make an Imp army. Here is what I've come up with:

Imperial Guard

Doctrines
    :
    Drop Troops
    Iron discipline
    Sharpshooters
    Conscript Platoons
    Rough Rider Squadrons

HQ

Command Squad: Sharpshooters, Iron Discipline
    Heroic Senior Officer – Storm Bolter
    Standard Bearer – Company Standard
    Commissar - ccw, Las pistol
    2 GM - Lascannon
    1 GM – Lasgun

Sentinel Support Squadron – 2* H. Flamers, Drop Troops

Anti-Tank Support Team – 3* Lascannon, Sharpshooters

Inquisitor + Retinue
    Inquisitor Lord – Artificer armour, Lightning Claws, Digital Weapons, Scourging
    3* Acolyte – Storm Shield
    3* Warrior – Power Fist
    3* Familiar – ccw
    Rhino – Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Elites

Veteran Squad
    1 vet sgt. – Power weapon, Bp
    7 vet – Lp, ccw
    1 vet – Meltagun
    1 vet - Flamer
    Chimera – Multi-laser, H. Bolter, Extra armour, smoke launcher

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1
    Com. Section
    Junior Officer – Power Sword, Bp, Carapace Armour, Bionics & Honorificia Imperialis
    4 GM – ccw, Lp
    Commissar – Power Fist, Lp

Squad 1 Sharpshooters
    7 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM – Autocannon
    1 GM - Plasma Gun

Squad 2 Sharpshooters
    7 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM - Autocannon
    1 GM - Plasma Gun

Remnants Drop Troops
    4 GM – lasguns
    1 GM – Meltagun

Infantry Platoon 2
    Com. Section Sharpshooters
    Junior Officer – Bolter
    2 GM – Lasgun
    2 GM - Autocannon

Squad 1 Sharpshooters
    7 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM – Autocannon
    1 GM - Plasma Gun

Squad 2 Sharpshooters
    7 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM - Autocannon
    1 GM - Plasma Gun

Remnants Drop Troops
    4 GM – lasguns
    1 GM – Meltagun

Conscripts [2 squads]
    18 Cons. - Lasgun
    2 Cons. – Flamer

Fast Attack

Hellhound - Inferno Cannon, H.Bolter

Hellhound - Inferno Cannon, H.Bolter

Rough Riders
    1 Vet. Sgt. – Power weapon, Bp
    9 riders – Lp, ccw

Heavy Support

Leman Russ – Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Total pts: 1998

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a pretty good list for a first attempt, the doctrines are all good.

Specific things :
    1. Sharpshooters generally isn't favoured, except on heavy weapons squads. there are numerous threads about why it isn't worth it.
    2. Stormtroopers or vets make better melta armed drop troops - the higher BS and greater number of guns makes them more effective tank hunters.
    3. Give hunting lances to the RR's - everyone else's CC troops will destroy them before they strike due to Initiative. RR's are superb one shot troops, but after the lances are gone their only real use is to hold table quarters etc. If the combat takes more than 1 round they are unlikely to survive : everyone else has more attacks, or better armour etc, but they will give Marines, Necrons, most Deep Strikers a nasty shock on a lance charge. Consider giving the Honorifica to the RR sargeant for the extra lance attacks. Even killing an extra single assault marine will nearly get you your points back.
    4. Tooling vets for HtH and short range firefights is a bit of a waste : they are much better as firebases. Again, low initiative and armour save keep them weak in CC. A command squad with flamers in a chimera with heavy flamers will do the same far more effectively and cheaply, and free the vets to provide fire support (BS4 lascannon / missile launcher, with plasma guns is very nice).
    5. Bulk out the conscripts to more than 20. They're a tar pit unit to tie up other people, but don't expect much else.
    6. I used to really like autocannons, but xp now makes me think HB's are generally better in line squads, and missiles / lascannons are much better anti tank weapons grouped in Anti Tank squads.
    7. 1 Leman Russ will die quickly, esp at 2000 pts your opponents will have enough Anti tank to fire at it a lot. It's best chance to survive is either be grouped with the Hellhounds, where there would be multiple targets to take shots at (and a Demolisher would work just as well), or sitting right at the back and trying to use range to stay safe, in which case a Basilisk may be better suited to this role.
    8. personally, I am not a fan of commissars, but they are fluffy. Make them more effective with a power sword, or if you can find the points, as a hidden powerfist (lots of people on this forum don't appear to think this is worthwhile though).
    9. Heavy stubbers on the Hellhounds are usually worthwhile, but my Hellhounds never finish a battle.
    10. I always likes the Inquisitor henchman that gives you the free shot at deep strikers, which are generally bad news for guard once they can move. hitting them as they land always appeals to me.
    I think you've got a good grip on what you want to do, so the advice above is really use different units to fill the roles you seem to have identified. Top effort though !

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the advices, I think I have to use a few of them

1. I will give sharpshooters to HW'a only, did a little thread hunting a read the posts and agreed with what they said.

2. I agree, I was considering to use vets as drop troops first. I'm probably gonna do as u suggested, take away the remnant squads to pay for the vet squad.

3. hm, didn't considered that. But it makes sence. Maybe I'll give them meltas in addition to the hunting lances, 'cause u can use the meltas throughout the whole game after the lances has been used.

4. True but I don't feel the need for more firepower, though it would be nice.

5. The conscripts were 30 men strong before, but needed the points so I decreased the number. But I agree they are a little small for their purpose.

6. This is a though one. Autocannon has better stats in general, since it's a threat to AV13 vehicles as well as marines and the like, so I think it's better the H.B. But I know that guardsmen has BS2 and would benefit from the extra shot with the H.B. I think I'll keep with the Autocannons though.

7. True, but I don't think it will atract to much fire since I will have other units which are more dangerous, like the rhino with the inquisitor and after the deep striking troops come in they have no choice but to take them out. So I think that the Russ will be fairly safe, plus I'll keep it obscured.

8. Well I like the commissar. The one in the Com. Platoon is only there for the Ld boost, so I don't want to waste any points to make him good in cc. The one in the Inf. platoons com. squad already has a power fist.

9. It could be worth a try, but I don't expect them to survive for very long, so we'll see.

10. hm, since I'm gonna drive forward with the inq. and the enemies deep striking troops don't arrive until turn 2 I think that I'll be long gone to use that rule and they're gonna be mounted in a Rhino anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My expertise would be more so in the Inquisitor squad. Dependant on which one you take (WH or DH) you can add crusaders witha 4+invuln save. Secondly If your looking for a combat unit the Inquistor make not be the best choice. I personally would suggest a squad of Grey Knights. They are power armor and have stormbolters all of them. They are moving infantry that cna lay down suppresive fire with durability. If you want to keep the Inquisitor for fluff purposes, because I agree that a combat Inq would be cool. The only problem is you will be saving on a majority that isnt very good odds for your frail squad. I would suggest switching the storm shields to artificer armor and dropping a a few of the familiars to make the majority save a 2+ ~_^. Third if you could always make it a static firebase with gun servitors. Usually two heavy bolters and one plasma cannon. A psycannon on the inquistor if its form the DH. two sages to give the inquis a boost in BS and a re roll for the plamas cannon. then throw in one or two mystics for DS units and theres and impressive firebase for jsut over 200pts. pumping out 1PC,6HB,3Psycannon shots.
    I'm not here for the respect, just here to spread the clarity of a very complicated game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Honostly, i am not real partial to this list, it has several inefficiancies.The sharpshooters was covered. The switching in inquisitor for grey knights was covered. Dont put heavy weapons like lascannons in your command plattons. It puts more vp's in a very fragile squad and forces you to expose them. As an opponent they would die in 1-2 turns.

Your veterans should not mix special weapons. They are confused. Are they troop or tank hunters.I would give them 3 flamers or 3 meltas if i were to use them as a close up element (which isnt recommended either) The other suggestion with plasma/lascannon was far better. Replace their close support withcommand squads. The command squads you have now are full of easy to earn vp's that dont do much for their points. Your command squads will never do well in cc. I suggest taking one and give them 4 flamers and sticking them in the vets chimera...that is the best "assault" element you get. Your remnant squads are pretty innefecient as well. Your paying 40 points for 1 melta gun that only gets one chance to fire and has a 50% chance to hit. Replace them with some deepstriking vets with meltas or a special weapon squad with 2 metlas and a melta bomb (trust me when it lands right the results are spectacular).

As mentioned the Leman Russ is very lonely, and probaly needs a friend, (point for point i think they are the best thing we have) Hellhounds...excellent choice 1 is not enough. Loving the sentinals. Loving the platoon squads, though i would suggest throwing some lascannons in there here and there. As they are now your conscripts are pretty weak. Combine the two units into one large on, drop your commisers from the command squad and use a doctrine to give them an independant commisar so you have ld10 conscripts...its a beautiful sight. And one more note, rough riders without hunting lances are not rough riders at all. Think of them as hunting lance delivery systems..otherwise they are virtually useless.

Hope i could be of service and i dont mean to sound harsh at all. It looks like you have the basis for an interesting (and unique) list. Just tidy up the corners.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the coments guys.

cl30003000 - Well I don't want a grey knight squad, 'cause I think the Inq. is so much cooler and it's for fluff purpose. Don't want to use them as a fire base either, since I want a cc oriented army. Your ablsoutely right about the majority save, think I'm gonna go with that instead.

C/Rt3r - The list is in the making so nothing is final and I'm redoing some of the stuff that you've all suggested. With the com. squad I figured that since they're gonna stay back for the morale boost they might as well get something to do, that's why they have a lascannon, but I could always exchange it with an Autocannon and give the Lascannon to one of the 10-man squads instead.
    Hm, the assaulting Com. squad. Giving them 4 flamers, true they will be able to do some damage, but after that they will die after that, since they won't be any good in HtH. But I suppose that they will die as they are now to

The remnant squads are gone now, and I've reconstructed the vet squad to make a suicide drop instead.
    The conscripts has been increased to 30 in one squad. So they're not so thin anymore.
    The rough riders have lances and meltas now.

True about the Russ. The only problem is to get the points for one more, since there's so many units I want to include
    You said "Hellhounds...excellent choice 1 is not enough." I presume that you meant that 1 is enough, or...?
    I'm also considering to get an Eversor assassin, think he would do some wonders in HtH.
    Last edited by alex_88; March 30th, 2007 at 14:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An eversor assasin would lay waste to large groups or models that strike after him or high toughness models since he always wounds on a 4+. Although the callidus assasin can be use her word in an ear to reposition one enemy unit 6" in anydirection. I like to use that to put heavy weapon teams behind cover and force the opponet to lose a round of heavy shooting or force a vehcile out into the open for firing especially eldar and tau ones. Couple that with emperor's tarot and you may have a bit of luck blowing those up. But for straight combat the eversor is great.
    I'm not here for the respect, just here to spread the clarity of a very complicated game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

I meant that you made an excellent choice in including two instead of 1. The reasoning behind the command squad is that it isnt wise to give them ehavy weapons becuase you dont want them exposed to enemy fire. Once that happens there goes your main leadership bubble and thats never good. Without allies i have never seen a tough cc list build. But honostly aside for the conscripts, RR, and inquisitor i dont really see mcuh that is built for cc and thats okay becuase those three squads would make an excellent counter charge unit. I would sit back and shoot awya and tnen when then enemy gets close pop thse units out from behind cover to tie the enemy up. Little tip with the conscript squad, be extremely careful how you place them in cc, remember a close combat will block line of sight so if you have a massive squad like that taking up huge amounts of room you cut off your fire lanes and provide perfect cover for the rest of his units to run up unmolested.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'A word in your ear' with the callidus assassin sounds tempting, but I decided to go with the Eversor.

Well, the list has been modified quite a bit, still not completely done yet.
    I'm pondering over if I want the basilisk or if I want 2 russes.

Imperial Guard

Doctrines:
    Drop Troops
    Iron discipline
    Sharpshooters
    Conscript Platoons
    Rough Rider Squadrons

HQ

Command Squad - Iron Discipline
    Heroic Senior Officer – ccw, Lp
    Standard Bearer – Company Standard
    Commissar - ccw, Lp
    2 GM - Autocannon
    1 GM – Lasgun

Sentinel Support Squadron – 2 w/ H. Flamers, Drop Troops

Anti-Tank Support Team – 3* Lascannon, Sharpshooters

Inquisitor + Retinue
    Inquisitor Lord – Artificer armour, Lightning Claws, Digital Weapons, Scourging
    3* Acolyte – Artificer armor
    3* Warrior – Power Fist
    1* Familiar – ccw
    Rhino – Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Elites

Veteran Squad - drop troops
    1 vet sgt – ccw, Lp
    1 vets – lasguns
    3 vets – meltagun

Eversor Assassin

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1
    Com. Section
    Junior Officer – ccw, Lp
    4 GM – Flamer
    Chimera – H. Flamer *2, Extra armor, Smoke launchers

Squad 1
    8 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM – Lascannon

Squad 2
    8 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM - Autocannon

Infantry Platoon 2
    Com. Section
    Junior Officer – ccw, Lp
    2 GM – Lasgun
    2 GM - Autocannon

Squad 1
    8 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM – Autocannon

Squad 2
    8 GM – Lasguns
    2 GM - Autocannon

Conscripts
    27 Cons. - Lasgun
    3 Cons. – Flamer

Fast Attack

Hellhound - Inferno Cannon, H.Bolter, Pintle H. Stubber

Rough Riders
    6 riders – Hunting Lance
    2 riders - Meltagun

Heavy Support

Leman Russ – Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Basilisk – Indirect Fire
    Last edited by alex_88; March 31st, 2007 at 16:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe be a bit expensive, but if you want you could switch or add holocoust for some added assault punch on the Inquisitor, and with consecrated scrolls you could use both in the same turn. scourging shots, then assault, then troop an explosion on then ~_^. I find that a bailisk is a nice investment for having the enemy come to you, but if your going forwards the Russ is a good thing with AV14

+ Reply to Thread