Chimera vs Rhino - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chimera vs Rhino

I was thinking of fielding my ISTs in an armored vehicle and i was wondering which one would be the best choice. Also will teleport homers work from within a vehicle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Depends on what you will be doing with your IST's...

Chimera = Fire support

Rhino = Cheaper and better all round armour.

Rhino is better. IMHO Also suits the idea of DH... One thing I think about is the fact that you don t have use the guns if you are running the tank 12"'s

and no homers cannot be used unless on the feild from begining of turn.

[KARL SAYS] however karl prefers the chimera, worse armour, granted, more expensive, but better firesupport, which is useflull for IST's, and especially normal guard, aite And a cooler model..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Luke, I have no idea where your getting the idea that chimera' have worse armour than rhino's. Their front and sie armour is a point higher than rhino front and side armour; though you are right that they are more fire support.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if i'm looking for extra fire support and have the points, run a chimera with ISTs. If i'm just trying to take them from point A to point B, then run a rhino.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

Rhinos are good for a cheap unit that you intend to use to take a table quarter. The Rhino, in itself, is less threatening to your enemy. It is also made of cardboard and duct-tape.

As an SM player, if I put models in a Rhino for frontal attack, I expect to ditch-out on the first turn or be taking a pinning test shortly therafter.

If you go Rhino, remember that they always come from the forgworld with Smoke Launchers and Extra Armor for 58 points. You void the warranty if you remove them.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    So if i'm looking for extra fire support and have the points, run a chimera with ISTs. If i'm just trying to take them from point A to point B, then run a rhino.
    You pretty much got it. I prefer Chimeras generally with a Plasma equiped IST squad while a tank hunting Melta IST squad should probably go in a Rhino.

For the points I generally like the Chimera better.

@Luke. You CAN use the Teleport Homer while in a vehicle. "On the field of battle" refers only that you didn't deep stike in that turn. The new rules are pretty specific, so you can take your squad of ISTs in a Rhino and put the Teleport Homer anywhere 6" around the vehicle.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all your help. Still trying to work out the kinks of my army

INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    Luke, I have no idea where your getting the idea that chimera' have worse armour than rhino's. Their front and sie armour is a point higher than rhino front and side armour; though you are right that they are more fire support.
    chimera front is 1 higher than rhino front, but rhino has one higher on the sides than chimera does. chimera's front armor > rhino's. rhino side armor > chimera.

rhino has consistent armor rating front and side, with chimera front being tough but sides as weak as the back of either vehicle. it's a trade off, either get ok armor on front and side, or get just front a bit bulkier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Diggums, what are you talking about? can you point out a page number?

INQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not really an issue of showing a page number (p18 for TPH is the best I can do), as muc as wording. the teleport homer is "on the table" whether the model is in the transport or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 2nd, 2008, 16:16