DIY Campaign Sharing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

DIY Campaign Sharing

I am not sure of where to post this thread since the "Campaigns" section of 40k ist all about Medusa V and nothing else seemed right either. And because I am a Space Marine player and the campaign I will be referring to is for Space Marine (and Necron) armies I will just post it here and hope for the best.

[For those who want to know what this is practically all about but who do not have the time or patience or ability to read the full post: you may skip all those explaining words and jump straight to the last paragraph. Hope that helps you get along with my long posts.]

Before I get started I would like to introduce you to the situation I find myself in. I started playing Warhammer 40.000 a little more than a year ago. Not many of my friends play and now everyone's at different universities and we are torn apart most of the year.
    Apart from a friend who bought a lot of Tau but hasn't finished putting them together to date, a friend playing Chaos Space Marines (and Lost and Damned) who can only drop by once in a while because of his many obligations I only have one friend (with his Tyranid and Necron armies) to play against.
    Now we have played a lot of standard missions and tried some special ones too. But even though we use different army lists, different approaches to the missions each time, games have gone stagnant and grown the shallow aftertaste of routine.

I have fled into pastimes like creating new terrain pieces, but in the end I have had to face the fact that our games needed fresh wind in order to remain fun, interesting and exciting.
    As I play RPGs a lot and find much pleasure in storytelling elements (I was introduced to tabletops via Necromunda, where you have individual characters who develop rather than a mostly faceless army which starts all its games as a blank sheet of unwritten paper) the solution to keep the games enthralling was by linking them together. To not only have a background for each game individually (the evil Necrons are trying to harvest planet X, but my courageous Space Marines face them in a desperate Seek and Destroy Mission - hooray!) but to have each battle fought influence the ones still to come.
    I had hoped that the Medusa V online campaign could achieve this for me, but I found that for players battling each other at home the campaign offered nothing spectacular other than a handful of new scenarios and the ability to click where on a (little detailed) map the battle is supposed to have taken place. But what did your battles count among the thousands that were fought? Were you able to really see what your victories achieved for the Imperium?

So my conclusion was that I would have to write my own campaign. And right now I am finally doing so...

The campaign is about an ancient Necron tomb far below the surface of a planet my Space Marine chapter is sworn to protect. But the Necrons do not sleep forever in their stasis chambers. And as they awaken they discover their planet inhabitated by lesser beings.

The campaign starts out with a handful of obligatory missions, each one worth a certain amoung of campaign victory points.
    At first small combat patrols run into each other and both go to great efforts in order to destroy the enemy patrol so it can not report back to its leaders. The winner then knows of the enemy who in turn is still ignorant of the winner's presence. He can therefore prepare an ambush against the forces of the enemy.
    Once the ambush is played and the element of surprise gone, both armies prepare for the uprising war and rush out in order to take as much territory as possible to have room for strategic movement. If the ambush has been succesful, the attacker may fight with enlargened army strength representing his success in effectively weakening the enemy forces.
    Once the front lines have been drawn, battle is taken to the strategically most important sites. The army that has been more successful occupying the surrounding lands has tactical advantages in the missions to take and hold these vital objectives.
    And so on, and so on...

After all compulsory missions have been played the player with at least 5 campaign victory points more than his opponent may "challenge" his opponent, representing his army having gained enough strategical advantages to attack the enemy at its core and once and for all end its presence on the planet.
    If none of the players is able to challenge his opponent to such a final match (or the potential challenger is willing to collect some more campaign victory points that could give him an advantage in his final all-out assault) there are certain locations marked on the map with optional missions prepared that can be fought and grant the winner certain bonuses for further games being played.

So you see that my campaign is somewhat of a wild mix between a tree- and a map-based campaign. But forget about all that, this was just to give you an idea. The exact details actually don't really matter. (Anyone interested in the campaign can PM (or e-mail) me. I will have to finish it first, but I hope this won't take very long anymore.)

The point is that after I have written down all the rules I have invented for my campaign it feels quite odd to be playing in it too. The seperation of powers is a principle I regard as essential, but the circumstances don't allow for anyone making the rules who will not be subject to them.
    So even if my friend says that my rules are fine and it does not seem to him that I have favored my side and so forth, I still fear the possibility that in fact I HAVE done so unwillingly and unnoticed.

Therefore I would feel much better if I could play a campaign whose rules have been made by someone not involved in our gaming. I herefore ask if anyone knows about detailed campaigns available on the internet that can be played with a Space Marine army and Tyranids or Necrons as enemies. Anyone?
    That would be of much help to me and the other 50% of my regular "gaming group". Thanks in advance! (And of course -once it is finished- I shall be glad to share my campaign with anyone willing to play it!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hhhmmm, alright. I have here a campaign from us.gamesworkshop, it is based around Tau vs. ork, but I have read that you can use any other armies in their place. I'll look for some more later on, but right now I have get going.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...os/default.htm
    Ed Gein+Screech= Emperors' children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

I appreciate your help!

This campaign features some interesting rules I might try to incorporate into my own campaign (concerning army tokens, their drafting and their destruction). But unfortunately the campaign does not have any rules on the outcome of a battle affecting the next one.
    The campaign only offers an opportunity to do something BETWEEN battles (move and bombard), but the battles itself are as "boring" (sorry) as without the campaign.
    (Moreover the campaign can be played with other armies than Orks, but it is actually designed for Tau players. Of course you could change even that, but then you could as well play without that campaing...)

What I am looking for is -as an example from my campaign- that you can play a Take and Hold mission over a missile silo and the winner gets free preliminary bombardment in his next missions. Something like that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://ironsoap.org/warhammer40k/bel....html#missions

I'm not quite sure if this is what you are looking for, just have a bit of a read through it and tell me whatyou think, down the bottom is the mission stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Let me thank you for taking the time to dig out this one!

It's actually not playbale for me and my Necron friend alone, but maybe I could manage to talk our Chaos friend into spending more time with us and our armies. I fear he won't have/take the time to campaign with us, but that's definitely not your fault!

I liked the Prologue, the additional special rules and the battle outcomes being decisive for how the campaign goes on and works out. So: yes, this is more or less exactly tha type of game I am looking for, only for Necrons and Space Marines alone (will be hard to find, I know). Even though I don't like all those Kill-Team missions (I have included nearly every type of mission in my campaign: cityfight, standards, specials, battle missions, raids, breakthroughs, combat patrols... but I have refrained from Kill-Team missions as somehow the Kill-Team always wins and the game itself is kind of boring for the guy playing the Brutes) and I am somewhat suspicious of those games free for all games with three armies. I know it will turn out as either me and my Necron friend tearing down Chaos and then turning against each other, or Chaos and Necrons allying against me...

Anyhow: thank you, mudvayne_lover, for sharing!
    (All the new ideas are driving my campaign on too, so anyone who's interested may be able to download it soon.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Sigh* I'm sorry, I can't seem to find anything else. I wish there were more things that weren't focused around the Dawn of War campaign, anyway good luck with your campaign, anyone else is welcome to step up and try and find something. I hope your campaign goes well, Tschus.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Why not make the Kill Team missions into something that'll give the attacker (if he wins) somekind of bonus in the following "real" mission?
    One can even turn them into something like a "spy-option". Say it costs one or two campain points to send a kill team in advance.
    Make a number of different effects they can have on the main campain. Cutting of the main pipeline that runs to the raffinery or sabotaging the radiocommunication making it 1 harder for the defender to get his reinforcements next battle?

Since you have a RPG-background you should have a great ability to make more narrative kill-team missions, why not make some special scenery for them? Things like that can really make a campain "pop".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Thanks for your suggestions, Andusciassus!

In fact I have already begun making Kill-Team scenery once and I have my own Kill-Team ready for a long time now, anxious to send it on a mission, as Kill-Team missions really are those closest to "narrativeness".
    But still I fear that since me and my friends have little time to game one another it won't be entertaining to waste one of two games a month to a Kill-Team scenario where one player will have to be satisfied juggling Brute squads.

Anyhow: there seem to be only few do-it-yourself campaigns out there. I hope to finish mine soon (I wasn't home the last days so I'm a little behind my schedule - Easter won't make it easier) and put it online with the intention to make as many creative players follow my example as possible.

Hoping sometime there'll be better times and more campaigns shared online I will now put this topic to rest peacefully.

Thanks again for your help, mudvayne_lover and Andusciassus!! Much appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

After this campaign to keep you busy here's an idea: Create your own chapter, give them full fluff, start writing stories about them (the stories affecting squads and characters), take all your battles and have them affect the future stories, etc. This gives your army a bit of life.

I, personally, can't stand using other people's fluff, and as each chapter has only 1000 marines you are using someone elses Marines. If you create your own army you can point at everyone and laugh at them because they can't use yours. Muhahahaha...

Aside from that the Campaign seems cool.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Thank you for that thought archonofdeath! But in fact I've already been doing that ever since playing Warhammer 40.000.

As I wrote before I've started on tabletop games with Necromunda. And the battles of my main gang there have always been put to paper (as has the background of every gang member and the story how all the new ones came to be in the gang, etc).
    And since all those stories have evolved into a kind of "novel" that was really fun to write I have tried to copy this method for my Space Marines from the beginning.
    It didn't work out all that well (I haven't yet managed to include all the encounters with enemy forces into the history of the chapter yet), but at least I have my own chapter with its own "fluff". And that is -as you suggested- indeed very satisfying!

[As you might realize at this point or might have at any point before: I have too much spare time! You know all those hours you should by studying? That's when my mind goes Warhammer 40.000 / Necromunda / any one of the RPGs I play...]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast