Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey... I just started playing W40k (played 3 games over the weekend with friends, and absolutely love it).
I'm trying to build a Black Templars army (1500 pts, see: http://www.sebgauthier.com/blacktemplars.html)
I have a few questions however (and feel free to comment on my army list, I'm new at this and I'd love to get some feedback):
Now you see what I meant when I said I was a newbie... ahah, I hope this makes sense.
- I understand I need to have 2 troops and 1 HQ in my army. Am I allowed to have a Chaplain / Emperor's Champion and only have 2 troops? (or do I need 4 troops?)
- You can see I have a squad of 7 terminators, I have bought 7 furious charge (do I need to buy 8 or is one enough?)
(7 because I want the chaplain with them, ideally inside the land raider crusader)
I was going to give 5 of these teminators 2x lightning claws and the other two thunderhammers & storm shields.
- Kinda like #2, do I need to buy grenades for every unit of a squad? Or is 1 frag grenade enough?
- Also I'm looking at the Black Templars codex now, and units (most anyways) seem to have tabards / cloaks. To make a black templars army do I simply have to buy regular space marines troops and just paint them correctly?
Thanks for your time,
You can take 2 HQ choices with only 2 Troops choices.
You do need to buy the upgrades (Furious Charge, frag grenades, whatever) for the whole squad, you can't just buy them for individual models (unless the model is an independent character).
You can paint normal marines the correct colors, the tabards just look cooler.
There are new, seperate black templars army models (I think) but they are just space marines that have some extra little bits here and there.
You can totally just paint regular marines if you want.
Turtles For the Turtle God!
Shells For the Shell Throne!
Welcome to the world of 40K!
An interesting army list... Looks like it's the 2 characters, a Dread, 2 large squads to run around and 2 smaller squads for tankbusting/fire support? Not bad - straightforward and sturdy, if perhaps somewhat lacking in variety. (I'd say more, but I'm not terribly familiar with the BT codex.)
Wait a minute... Slight problem, here. Models in Terminator Armour cannot take a Bolt Pistol. Frankly, I'd question the need for Termie Armour at all here (EDIT: Wait, Termies? this makes more sense if he's leading Termies...) - Artificer Armour gives you the same benefit (2+ save) for less cost (I think?) and none of the disadvantages. The Chappie could probably use an assault-oriented squad to run around with, too, but that's probably best added to the "to-do" list.
1) 2 Units of Troops and a HQ to lead them is the basic core of the army that you MUST have. Everything after that is your choice. Nothing is dependent on anything else unless it specifically says so.
For example - if you want to take an Imperial Assassin, you must first take an Inquisitor to go with him - their rules say so specifically. (it's an allied option from the Daemon/Witchhunters codexes - the point is that they specifically say you must take one to get the other.)
2) While I'm not seeing Termies on there, let's deal with the question. Yes, each man in the squad buys the upgrade. (you'll see it states "for +X points per model") The Chaplain is a totally separate unit, however, and cannot take the upgrades from the Termie unit. And your weapons mix works just fine.
3) See #2. Every man must buy the grenades. The Sergeant can buy his own, but then only he gets the benefit. (NOTE!!! THE CHAPLAIN MUST BUY HIS OWN GRENADES IF HE WANTS TO BENEFIT FROM THEM ALONG WITH THE SQUAD!!!)
4) The cloaks and Tabards and such aren't necessary. Heck, the black armour isn't even necessary! You could paint them pink, with Eldar detailing, but so long as they conform to the Templars army list, they're legit. Disturbing, but Legit. :blink:
GW sells the Templars detail bits as an upgrade pack, so you just get plain marines and add on the BT stuff as desired. Again, not necessary, but it does look cool.
as per Wraith
Just to be cklear on point 1:
you need a HQ, you need 2 troops. Anything else is gravy (assume the assassin and inquisitor comment is lost on you)
Is Emp champions not manadatory and does not take up a force ordg slot for BT?
Anyway, yes, once you have bought the mandatory stuff you dont need to maintain the ratios, you can happily have 6 troops and 1 HQ or 2 troops and 2 HQ
Everything you have been told is a lie!
The Emperor's Champion does not take up a force organisation slot, and becomes mandatory in an army of more than 750pts.
First of all, welcome to Warhammer 40K and welcome to the best WH40k site on the Web!! You picked a great army and should have an awesome time!
Yes you must have an HQ. A chaplain counts as an HQ. When you attach a HQ to a terminator command squad, the HQ MUST have terminator armor too. Otherwise he can attach himself to any squad, including a squad of terminators. Terminators can be given the Furious Assault Skill, and so can the chaplain if it is a command squad. The special skill has a set cost per member of the unit. Outside of the command squad, the chaplain can not have the skill.
When you buy frag grenades for a squad, you pay the cost PER SQUAD MEMBER.
Hope this helps!
Last edited by 4theEmperor!; April 7th, 2007 at 02:24. Reason: left out a word
Once a Marine, always a Marine.