Armored Crew Comparment for Sentinel? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Armored Crew Comparment for Sentinel?

Personally, I never leave home without it. There are just so many disadvantages of being open-topped, not the least of which is the fact that without an ACC your Sentinel can be destroyed by lasguns!

But it does increase the sentinel's price a lot, and whether you have it or not the Sentinel will most likely die from the first shot fired at it...

I guess those are the two basic arguments. What are other players' views on this?

Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Have a re read of your rules, the sentinel cant be killed by lasguns if open topped. ALl it does is increase its damage roll, from template especially. against its price i dont bother. IF i get hit chances are il either be immobile ie. a sitting duck (generally happens to my heavy flamers the enemy can never seem to destroy them lol) or they lose a weapon which is kinda like death anyway.
    If you keep them cheap then you cna write them off after theyve done their job, if they survive then yay if they dont then it doesnt matter, i use them as suicide troops.

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

It's a tricky one, thats for sure. I have a full squadron, and they are all modelled with an ACC (because they look far better IMO) however I only give them the add on in games smaller than 750 pts, where it is likely that they wont be going up against ten odd lascannons! In bigger games, I use the extra points on more useful armour, I usually field a Demo, a Hound and a Russ as one single tank formation (Works very well I've found!) The sentinels tend to be used to annoy that pesky dug in dev squad, or their light armour. But I find that they die too quickly to really kit them out in larger games.

This is a very good point you've raised, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Unless I have a 'free' extra 15pts I don't bother. ACC can help you if you are lucky, but an AV10 vehicle will die regardless of being opened topped or not, so why waste the points? Most hits will be penetrating so your results will be 66.67% you will never fire again anyway!

The best way to keep Sentinals shooting is to not have them shot at. I usually park mine next to a 'more juicy' target like a Russ so that the enemy targets that, not my Sentinal.

If I do take ACC, I would take EA and maybe Smoke, so that if I do get stunned or shaken I can move behind cover for a turn and sit out more enemy fire. Smoke is for a bit protection if I get an immobilized result.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those 15pts can always be used for something for effective. Like 3 heavy bolters on a leman russ for example. Thats going to help you much much more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, if someone gets a shot at your sentinel, it is probably already dead.
    "When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to go with the "not worth it" school of thought. If it were cheeper than maybe, but as said before an av10 vehicle is gonna die fast anyways, so spend the points elsewhere. Also protection from being next to a juicier target works better than you would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that even though sentinels excel as mobile weapon platforms, they also make for a formidable close combat squad. I often take the Hardened Fighters doctrine to buff my close combat command squads. In most cases that I take this option I tend to field a squad of sentinels with heavy flamers and the hardened fighters doctrine. The total cost is 50 points per sentinel, so for 150 points I have a reliable melee squad. 9 WS 4 STR 5 attacks on the charge after a heavy flamer burst usually polishes off a tactical squad pretty well. In an army that lacks melee fortitude this is a cheap option to hold up some troops for a few rounds.

Also I like to drop them with the drop troops doctrine. They can tear into a fire base really quickly with some flamer love.

In either case using sentinels, as a fire base or as melee monsters, I have never seen a reason to take the Armored Crew Compartment upgrade as sentinels should be kept cheap. I wont spend more than 55 points on a sentinel (Lascannon variant). It seems a wast to try to protect something that will get blown to smithereens by most any base trooper in the game.

That's my two bits.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

+ Reply to Thread