Some help with effectice Deepstriking - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Some help with effectice Deepstriking

Hi you all. I have tried to make use of the DS rules for Grey Knight, but it seems for me I can't really work with DS. They just drop from the skies and then die

How do you guys use DS and could you give me some strategy on how en where to DS your GK's?

Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

You are experience what I came found out when I started to play Grey Knights, deep striking is not that great an overall tactic.{confused}

To be effective, you need to deepstike on the edge of an enemy army where he can bring all of his army to bear on you after to Teleport in. To do this, Grey Knights have to trust the dice gods that you won't scatter off of the table. That is a risk I'll take with a 80pt IG suicide drop squad, but not with a 275pt squad of FAGK.:sleep:

As you have found, Teleporting into the front of enemy lines is almost certain death for that unit, after they come in.

Generally now, I do not deepstrike. I find it better to advance my units walking or with transport. There are some exceptions, and some tips that I can give for better DS tactics:

1> Take an IG vehicle unit with Improved Comms. This lets you re-roll a to come in roll so hopefully your units come in more or less as one. This also works really well with a Callidus Assassin. It make certain that she is in quick, causing a ruckus in enemy lines that can shoot you down.

2> Take Teleport Homers. I wish ours were 5pts like the Space Marine ones now, but they can make your troops not scatter which is important with such expensive units. These work best with a squad or =][= in a Landraider or and IST squad in Transports. Vehicles make great LOS blockers for your incoming troops. I will also use this trick on Walking PAGK squads and Teleport my Termies behind some CC. That way they usually can't be shot at through CC, and will be in CC themselves the next turn.

3> Be patient. You don't alway have to Teleport right in front of the enemy. If you have an early reserve roll, drop in behind cover somewhere, where you can wait for your advancing forces to catch up and then try and assault the enemy as one big group.

4> Drop into cover. Grey Knights are very shooty, so let the enemy come to you. Drop into cover to hold objectives and make them come to you. This way you get the advantage of a cover save for the ensuing rounds of shooting, and you also get equal Initiative (usually) for better CC oriented troops like Genestealers.

5> Take big Terminator squads. Even Termies die by Plasma easy, so when I play Termies Teleporting, I play with six or seven. These guys need to get into CC to be effective, so I look at the extra Termies as the price of transport. You WILL lose some of them, and you want to have enough left for them to do some damage.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to note is the opponents army. If it is a static shooting list then deepstrike is a great advantage It allows you to deliver a squad closer with out the return fire for walking them up there. If the opponent is a combat army they are going to come for you, best to leave the DS GK's on field as those many SB shots will sorely be missed. I find that DS anymore then half the units you have is a bad decision. It lets the enemy concentrate on your now even more outnumber units. On top onf that you lose alot of shots that could be softening up the enemy for your arival. The last bit is it lets your more mobile opponets more room to set up good positions. I usually take 3-4 full squads of Grey Knights in 1500-1850 games I take the minimum two squads as troops and make the others fast. Then by judging the enemy I see if I will need the extra shots on the board or if I need to get to a difficult position walking. Even a balanced army can be offset by too much deepstriking or infiltrating. Hope that helps
    I'm not here for the respect, just here to spread the clarity of a very complicated game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

My best advice on deep striking is don't. I feel deep striking wastes the points you pay for the GKs not to have them on the board every turn and firing your Storm Bolters.

But if you must deep strike, I would suggest deep striking into or around cover, or somewhere where you will not be peppered by plasma weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Thanks guys, this help quite well. I tried it today actually, by using 2 FA PAGK, and DS-ed them against an Eldar army, using telepost homers. too bad those things are 10 points each. I used two of them, but it still stings a bit. I could have had another PAGK instead...
    Stil, there were somewhat usedfull, preventing from teleporting a few GK's into a wall (cityfight)

But does anyone drop his HQ into the fray? Isn't the whole "I'm an Independent Character, and almost invisible" enough to get him where you want? I noticed that DS travels somewhat as fast as on foot...
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I deep strike only against enemies where I won't be missing the stormbolter shots. Highly mechanized armies, for example, are often when I decide to deep strike. There just aren't that many troops to worry about, and the tactical advantage of deep striking is more important. I hunker down my footsloggers, hug cover, turtle, etc., and then deep strike the GKs to a position where the enemy is forced to split his fire and attention.

That is, deep striking should be used only when you can employ it to perform a quick overwhelming maneuver with them. It should be a very decisive turn when your reserves roll in. If you can't do that, then it's probably better to walk them.

Keeping your deep strikers safe shouldn't be too difficult. My rule of thumb is that there must be at least 9"-10" of safe space around the target point where I'm looking to land. If I can't find such a spot in an advance, offensive position, then I use the reserves as a shoring up, reinforcement maneuver instead, which should be very easy to pull off safely.

With an independent character, I only deep strike him if he's got a retinue. A naked BC never drops in. He always footslogs with that psycannon, as his IC status effectively keeps him entirely safe the whole game.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread