Veterans? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veterans?

What's the best way to use vets? tactics, strategy. infiltrate and blow stuff up? i don't know.

Are vets worth having in a 1000pt. army?

and finally how do i make my vets stand out, or look different from the rest of the troops?
    anything'll help
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by HojsanD View Post
    What's the best way to use vets? tactics, strategy. infiltrate and blow stuff up? i don't know.

and finally how do i make my vets stand out, or look different from the rest of the troops?
    anything'll help
    Thanks,
    Vets are almost always worth taking. Point for point they are the best IG unit IMO. I usually equip mine with a Lascannon, 2 or three Plasma Guns and have them Infiltrate to good fireing lines.

I use Catachans now for my Veterans. It gives them a more 'commando' feel.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

yep, diggums hammer hit the nail on the head. I use my vets a little differently, depending on who is my opponent. One style is exactly like Diggums' version, where my other style is....KAMIKAZE!!!! I send in small groups with melaguns and plasma , and wreak havoc among the enemies artillery/tanks/big stuff. The later is more fun, but it is way more risky. I make my vets by combining the bodies from Cadians, thighs from Tau, and boots form catachans as well. I also have modeled on soem rebreather masks, and they look almost the same as the FW ones. I like using straight up catachans as well, very "manly".
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Yes they are worth taking, and here is my type of veteran:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=91341 ([Pic] New way to model a guardsman, for all IG players)
    I guess he looks "elite" if u ask me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always take vets when I am up against SM and Eldars. I have combined the catachans and the cadian sprues to give them the buffed up look. On three of them I put tiny magnets in their hands and on different special weapons so that I can interchange them with different weapons for different battles.
    The tactic that I use is to deep strike them with two special weapon squads right onto the enemy target. That way I can use the special weapons squad as a buffer to protect the vets from being shot up. What ever is left after the special weapons squad do their business (demo charges party), the vets would be able to more than easily handle them. This tactic works great when they all get deployed at the same time. Sometimes, the vets get hung out to dry because the special weapons squad failed to come in. But they still have the firepower to put a hurting on the SM, especially when outfitted with 3 plasma guns as BS skill of 4, same as the marines. OUCH!!!! With a vet sarge in the mixed, they are the steadfast unit in my army against ridiculious odds. One time, they held up a whole unit hormogaunts for 3 turns in H2H.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Give em 3 plasmas, infiltrate em, and blow the enemy to kingdom come

in 1000pts, I don't think so personally

anything'll help
    Thanks,
    Give em berets 9paint em red), silly Mustaches and say they have Cheesy war movie British accents:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take one squad in 1000pts jsut because the point limit is too small. Whe nyou get higher I would consider the doctrine and 2 or 3 squads of them.

I take the lascannon and two or three plasma guns as well and infiltrate them. A vet sgt w/power weapon and plasma pistol and 2 or 3 meltas, shotguns, maybe frag grenades, infiltrate or droptroops.

Equiped right there almost good at anything, tank hunting, character hunting, regular line squad, table quarter holder, suicide unit.

Mix cadian plastics with catachan plastics or just use cadian plastics, get some crouching legs from the heavy weapon box, get some pouches, extra helmets, knives, those backpacks from the HW boxes work as well, some people use the goggle head from the sentinel box, use sgt heads, use one head from the HW box thats got those goggles on as well.

Make them look dirty, grim, use special badges or insignias on them with paint like a red shoulder pad and the liek on certain parts of the model on all of them.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

There are several things that make the vets highly useful:

Higher BS, Infiltration, variable equipment for the grunts, and officer only equipment for the sergeant.

*The high BS is why many people recommend plasma and melta - you are much more likely to score a hit with these guys, so it is worth taking these special weapons, as you can rely on them taking out whatever you aim them at (within reason, that monolith is still gonna cause you grief regardless).

--Flamers and grenade launchers can still be useful - 3 flamers and a bunch of shotguns can be fun on the charge, but it is hard to pull off, and is a waste of good BS. Do this, if you must, with your officer--

High BS also lends you towards taking a lascannon as the heavy weapon in the squad (if you take a heavy weapon at all, its not always usefull to do so, as shooting on the move has its own benefits). No point in taking a heavy bolter - high rate of fire weapons are better in your low BS infantry squads. Vets are for accurate kills, and a vet lascannon fits this bill very well.

*Infiltration speaks for itself - however be careful here. Dont be tempted to place your expensive vets too far out in front of the rest of your army, unless it fits your game plan. They will simply be picked on - and picked apart - by the whole of your opponents forces. High BS and decent range weapons such as a lascannon and even plasmaguns means the vets should be kept back.

*Variable equipment/officer only equipment: This is where a lot more personalisation can come into the vet squad. Give them all shotguns and charge them in, or mix ccw/laspistols. Not most effective (you have other units that can do this better), but valid. Also, this works well if you give the sergeant a powerfist - its quite hidden, so very useful, and has worked for me in the past. If going for the ranged firepower squad, dont really bother giving the sergeant much.

A Macharian Cross could be interesting however. Sometimes i would also be tempted to give him a plasma pistol, but those points really could be better spent elsewhere.

The ability to take 3 special weapons is a no-brainer, just make sure you select the right ones.

Basically, a vet squad is a great backer for any guard army, and can be used to fill a gap in your army style. Lots of heavy bolters in your army? Give the vets a lascannon to make up for lack of anti-armour. No hth at all? Give them 3 grenade launchers and ccw/laspistols plus powerfist for a counter assault unit.

I guess I've basically restated what others have been saying, but hey, felt like posting and I hope I've helped!
    Last edited by Cadaver Junkie; April 12th, 2007 at 05:17. Reason: why, editing IS my reason, silly!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people like to put HWs in the Vet squads. To me they are more useful on the hit and run tactic. Move them out of the opposition moving and assualting range and fire off the plasma guns. If the vets are constantly on the move then the HW's are useless for you can't move and shoot them during the same turn.

I use my vets also to move around from H2H combat to reinforce units that are in H2H. With the Harden Fighter doctrine on them then thier WS goes to 4, MEQ.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by mackdawg View Post
    Why do people like to put HWs in the Vet squads. To me they are more useful on the hit and run tactic. Move them out of the opposition moving and assualting range and fire off the plasma guns. If the vets are constantly on the move then the HW's are useless for you can't move and shoot them during the same turn.

I use my vets also to move around from H2H combat to reinforce units that are in H2H. With the Harden Fighter doctrine on them then thier WS goes to 4, MEQ.
    You want to waste your best shooty unit in H2H? Enen with Hardened Fighters, Die Hards, and Warrior Weapons Guard suck at CC, and you should never plan on getting them into it unless it is strickly a counter assault squad like Rough Riders, or a 'tie 'em up for the game' unit of Conscipts.

IMO, every IG unit on the field should be shooting on the enemey from turn one with all it can, so to me this includes a HW and as many Special Weapons with range (read Plasma) as possible. IG Tanks should move, IG troops (with the exception of Grenadiers) should not. Our strength is Heavy and Special weapons. I never lose the opportunity to take either one of these for the expense of mobility.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast