Librarium Online Forums banner

Which Army is good against DH ?

3K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Deek 
#1 ·
Hi,

My mate is collecting a DH army, and wanted me to collect an army too to play him (i have 4000pt Ogre WHF army)

I was just wondering is there a particular army out there that you guys struggle with?

Thanks

#34 ·
my recent experience tells me that to beat DH, especially GK army are not hard at all, GK tend to lose to armies with superior number that hit at I4, Infantry units that can tie up in combat with GK = Units that can beat GK

A the end of the day, GK are only Marines for their defence capability (T4, sv3+) , and far inferior in numbers when compare to normal space marines.

All armies can out number GK easy, the idea to beat GK is force them to trade blow with you, you can afford to lose a full squard, GK cant.

#35 · (Edited)
I have the same impression on GK, they are all good, nice and dandy but they die like every other marine. I want to start DH but everytime I'll make a list I already have 2 milion ideas how to EASILY beat that list with my Dark Eldar.

#39 · (Edited)
which is an army that many know lacks in anti-tank firepower..
I believe is only half ture, because most of the GK list are design to take advantage with GK's close combat power, and its strombolter. To say DH cant anti tank is same to say Khorn cant anti tank. Which is mostly true, but that dont mean they cant talior a list to go nasty tank-hunting....

It is also well known that Armored comany have nothing but tanks most of the time, and IG tanks are good at anti infantry but only do decent on anti tanks, so I believe If you play tank battle VS armour company, they may do poorly. AC may work once or twice on DH before DH players tailor a list to beat Armour company, which is do able.

Ie. A Inquistor Lord with combi melta gun, acloyte x 2 w/combi melta and 3 warrior with melta gun + 2 sage on land raider attach with a brother captain HQ to aquire 3 GK Land raider tanks also 2 troop choice of 5 man stromtroober with 2 melta guns in a 1500 list.

Not as good as 3 full squards of boardside with railguns but I think this will do fine

#41 ·
That's because the AC isn't a balanced army. It isn't fair to spring an armoured company on an army that isn't tailoring against it. My rule is no tailoring, unless they bring an armoured company, most armies simply don't have enough anti tank to deal with one and springing an AC on someone unsuspecting isn't very sporting. Certain armies like iron warriors and perhaps some dark eldar, maybe necrons... those ones might be able to take it on without tailoring but the rest bairly have a chance. The armoured company isn't balanced for ordinary play, special measures are required to fight one.

#42 ·
Hence, I typed "balanced."

And a decent to good player should be able to adapt. Armoured Company can't take very many things until they get to later points, where people have started taking quite a decent bit of anti-tank.

Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids (rending), Tau, heck, even Kroot Mercenaries all have a decent chance with a balanced list, non-tailored to take down a tank-only list, if a good player is using them.

One of the few armies that would have a massive amount of trouble is, IMO, Grey Knights/Daemonhunters, because they have a natural lack of anti-tank ability. Most other armies, when used correctly, can do it.

#43 ·
This is getting off topic but Tau don't have good anti tank. Esspecially mech tau who miss out on the fabulous broadsides. Tau end up with like... 2 railguns and a few stray fusion blasters, seeker missiles and missile podss (getting desperate).

Kroot mercs... yeah... I suppose. But I was never a fan of relying entirely on close combat for taking out tanks. Eviscerators are good yes but they are also wasteful of the rest of the squad and the tank can explode and kill the kroot (who have no real save).

#44 ·
This is getting off topic but Tau don't have good anti tank. Esspecially mech tau who miss out on the fabulous broadsides. Tau end up with like... 2 railguns and a few stray fusion blasters, seeker missiles and missile podss (getting desperate).
Not everyone is a Mech Tau player, and Railguns, Ion Cannons, Seeker Missiles, Fusion Blasters, Missile Pods, and even their Pulse Weaponry can effectively take out tanks, if used correctly... side armour, rear armour, etc. Mech Tau makes up for their lack of Broadsides (more likely to get killed vs. AC anyways) with their mobility, and they should be able to make use of that same mobility to get access to rear and side AV and the likes.

Kroot mercs... yeah... I suppose. But I was never a fan of relying entirely on close combat for taking out tanks. Eviscerators are good yes but they are also wasteful of the rest of the squad and the tank can explode and kill the kroot (who have no real save).
So? Every tank that is killed by an Eviscerator is one less tank blowing chunks into the Kroot. Why do Kroot players take Eviscerators, then? It's a backup anti-tank option, as they have little anti-tank shooting capabilities.

It's just silly so claim AC is an unbalanced list and you need to take "special measures" against it when I'm pretty confident that a good player, who has a balanced list and knows it inside and out, can put up a heck of a fight.

That's all I'm going to say about that. If you'd like to continue a conversation about the AC and whether or not a balanced list could take it on, I'd be more than happy to. :) But, we'll need a thread in the IG forum for that, so feel free to start one.

Of all the armies available currently, I still say a Mechanised or Armoured Company list can do the most damage to Daemonhunters, especially without IG allies. They have less mobility than other armies (if using GK and not Storm Troopers) so can't target that side/rear AV as effectively, and even their Storm Troopers are easy to take down (especially due to the short range of the Melta Gun, their best anti-tank option). With a maximum of three Dreads, a Mech/AC player just needs to target them first and bring them down to all but cripple the DH player. So watch out for this Mech lists.

#45 ·
Please, people who play the army are always biased towards them. No eldar player will say "yes, falcons and harlequins are a bit over thet top " no dark eldar player will say "yes, we are a pushover army". You get the point. Seriously, I stand by what I said, I meant every word of it, belittleing what I said doesn't change anything. Having a fair, even chance against an armoured company requires tailoring. Esspecially with daemon hunters, so suggesting an AC for an army to use agianst DH is hardly a fair suggestion, regardless of experience. That's probably the last I'm saying about this matter here.

#47 · (Edited)
You said to take it over to the IG board. AC is IG. IG players will be like "nooo, it's perfectly balanced". I've seen it happen before, many a time. I wasn't saying that you were biased. Also, I said that eldar and DE players wouldn't admit those things, not that everyone else would.

EDIT: For example, the thread about harlequins being overpowered was in the eldar forum, hence most votes were saying they weren't. I'm saying that if that was another armies' forum, the votes would be different. People are influenced by the army they play. Myself included.

#50 ·
Ah, misread then.

The AC thread is up, by the way. The problem with it is that I don't think the AC is balanced, I just think good players don't need to tailor their lists to be able to win against them, so they aren't massively unbalanced, either.

RE: two Land Raiders... that's an interesting idea, but the fault I see with it is that it depletes the DH numbers drastically, and against armies with good anti-tank (especially Tau and Eldar/DE with their Railguns and Lances) I could see it getting crumpled.

#48 ·
I have to agree as you claim, that a balance, normal list of daemon hunter would be doomed against an Armour company. I think that same apply to a Khron army, but I dont think even a tailored army list of Khron will work against AC, at least GK can tailor a list to stand a chance, lol.

Today I just play against Black templar and I got seriously owned by the sheer overwhelming number of marines with scouts squards... which just soilified my belief that a GK army may not be outgun, but always be out numbered.

PS. I hate that hatred vow. :cry:

#49 ·
After making a recommendation, a local GK player has tried a new tactic--multiple land raiders. Two, actually, with their GK squads inside.

It's a very surprising tactic that seems to work. Most people only take one landraider but two forces them to split fire rather well. It's good anti-tank, is a transport that just won't die sometimes, and it delivers GK squads intact to your battleline.

All I can say is thankfully, I had S10 attacks in spades when I fought it (three zoans and two sniperfexes).

#52 · (Edited)
There was a thread a while back that showed a method of playing that was extremely effective just using a GK HQ, 2x PAGK's and yep, 2 Landraiders. I don't have two landraiders yet but I can't wait to test it out. It basically involves finding ways to wear the enemy down so there strengths become ineffective. I think it's been on this forum before but if not then you can check it out again here

and yes, it showed a method of using just the above units to destroy a fast moving Eldar squad (as well as a genestealer army). I think it's great because it shows just how versitile a pure GK army is and I believe it will have the naysayers pondering for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.