Scouts as Assassins - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Scouts as Assassins

I am thinking of using a squad of scouts, all armed with sniper rifles, to infiltrate into cover and take out important targets before the main strike force arrives.

Whilst I presume that this is a recognised tactic, my question is how many scouts to have in the squad.

With a hit on a 2+ and wound on a 4+ a squad of 6 would inflict on average 2.5 wounds with about 1 kill (3+ save), therefore forcing a pinning test.

To my way of thinking forcing the pinning test is crucial, so the all important question is how many sniper scouts to field in one unit?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

That's my 10th Company right there. It started out as new recruits, then developed to recruits backed by highly experianced snipers to keep them safe, and is slowly becoming pure snipers (as to protect the new recruits for the progenoid glands it has become cruitial that they become tac marines directly).

I'd say minimized squads of as many extra troop choices you have. From there increase their numbers. More squads means less firepower pointed at them, and as they are the weakest unit in the SM infantry, they need it.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

You don't just need to force the test, you need to cause enough casualties to reduce their leadership so the test is failed, and thus actually damage the squad. So what I'd do is make a squad of 8, with seven rifles, and give the eighth man a heavy bolter; obviously, he doesn't pin, but if he kills one guy and your rifles kill two, that's a -1 to the Ld of the average squad.

Multiple Scout squads, in the right covered positions, can pin certain units and annoy your opponent, but in terms of actual damage there is little they can really do. Should you lose the first turn, those Scouts may as well be dead. And they certain are dead by the second or third turn.

While it's a good idea, you definitely need more than one squad or they'll achieve very little. If I wanted to make it a serious tactic I'd field at least three 8-man squads.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Pinning in unreliable and rarely will work due to most units have 9 LD and a lot being immune to pinning. The Tau codex has a million pinning weapons, and they still rarely pin anything

snipers are there to do one thing and only one thing.. Take down models with 6+ toughness who have a 3+ or worse armor save. That's it. They're move or fire and thus most models can simply get behind cover and negate your firing

They can be okay, but I havent had much luck with non-bolter scouts.. Dont rely on gimmicks, just get more troops and shoot with normal killing weapons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good but dont rely on them.

I take 2 units with 5 snipers and 1 missle launcher as it is even(scoring at 3) and they need the missle launcher to add versatility.:shifty:
    Trust and treatury maidenhead:Team Reddy:won: Tau

GT heat 1 54th 04/05 (3rd Ed) 1 pt off qual Tau

GT heat 3 53rd 06/07 vp off qual Tau

Open War 7 1st/54 WON! 3 soild victories: Farsight Tau

Mayhem 07 3rd best general: Farsight Tau

"Dice Gods never favour those who play mathammer"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

That sounds way too much like the Meteorb Sorc/Hammerdin argument. Just because something is more effective than something else in certain situations does not mean it's the required choice and anyone who tried to do anything else is wrong.

Snipers are effective, though they lack the ammount of firepower other units can get, they still have their purpose. So why just load up on the same thing everyone else uses, why not do something different for a change?
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree
    Trust and treatury maidenhead:Team Reddy:won: Tau

GT heat 1 54th 04/05 (3rd Ed) 1 pt off qual Tau

GT heat 3 53rd 06/07 vp off qual Tau

Open War 7 1st/54 WON! 3 soild victories: Farsight Tau

Mayhem 07 3rd best general: Farsight Tau

"Dice Gods never favour those who play mathammer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Why? Because it costs hundreds of dollars to buy "what everyone else doesnt use"

I guess I just have limited funds

All im saying is that one option is very much inferior to another in terms of playing the game, fact. Is it fun to use weak units? Sure.. I use bikes and sniper scouts all last week in my games. Does it mean they're good? No not really

The difference I already had these models so I might as well use them. To acquire a large amount of these models would require someone to spend a lot of money on them and spend a lot of time painting, assembling, etc.. Im trying to give a realistic view of their benefit and role on the battlefield. I recommend proxying and testing your army before sinking tons of cash into units which are subpar in terms of effectiveness

See if you actually like it, instead of forum/theoryhammering
    Last edited by Kirasu; April 12th, 2007 at 22:58.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Again, snipers have their uses. But they tend to be limited in their scope (PUN!), so, use them if you'd like, but the general consensus is that they don't make exceptional killers. Leave snipers for the really high toughness minis that are hard to wound, such as Avatars, Greater Daemons, Tyranid Monstrous Creatures, and C'tan.

Sure, your bound to hit well, but on average, you'll only wound half of the time, so on basic infantry, you aren't getting the return value that you really need. You want a power sniper, get a Vindicare assassin. For a unit that earns its points back, get some Close Combat scouts.

Just my two cents.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Sniper scouts are more points then marines, and against most targets, bolters would be about just as effective.

If you want to pinn your opponent, consider Fury of the Ancients, and 3 whirlwinds, maybe some sniper scouts for theme.

Peace
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast