which codex to use to represent my army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which codex to use to represent my army

Okay, I have bought the DA codex, & initially intended to use that to base my chapter off (the Death Spectres) but since then I have also bought the vanilla SM codex & have been wondering if that would be better to use. I can't decide between the two & I feel a bit stuck

Anyway I'll get to the point; the main things I want my army to concentrate around are:

a) Land Raiders, because I love the models (yes, I know they may not be the most efficient things in the world but they are cool)

b) Terminators, because, well, who doesn't love them?

c) Bikes, the coolness factor weighing in here again

d) Shootiness...

Obviously, LRs & Terminators are way in the future for my army (having only bought a combat squad so far) but I want to be certain about which path to start on.

Another factor which is weighing in on my decision is the SM codex redux, which I know is quite a while in the future, but I don't want to build up an army around things which will be stripped down in a year or less.

PS, I know that Terminators & Bikes make it sound like the DA codex is a no-brainer, but still, I am unsure because, well, firstly I love the idea of two assault cannons & also because I don't like the idea that I can't attach the attack bike to the main bike squad.

Another factor against the DA codex is that I can't take LRs as transports :hmm:

Anyway... does anybody have any advice for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

First off, about SM redux.. The chances of any real changes to "models" is extremely slim. The available SM units have remained virtually the same from even 2nd edition. Unless you use some bizarre variant list from an obscure book you're pretty safe with 100% of the models in the SM book

As for your list.. I'd prob go with Dark Angels because you can get Belial and do funny terminator tricks, although you lose 2x assault cannon in a single squad but the squads can be more flexible. You could take them as troop choices and play Deathwing

Or you could use the normal space marine list and take them as elites with more firepower, but not much else.. If you wanna use terminators and land raiders Id personally just do DA as they wont be changing at all

However, thinking of it I'd prob do Ravenwing with terminators.. Since the master of the ravenwing is much more firepower than Belial can be. You cant take terminators as troops, but you can use your elite slots on them, then take bikes as troops with attack bikes more speeders and land raiders to fill it out

Wierd list, but could work with concentrated firepower
    Last edited by Kirasu; April 13th, 2007 at 06:20.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

If Space Marines are redone in a year or less, I'm going to leave Warhammer permanently.

That said...

Why not try both out? You own both, you can always swap between lists. This will let you explore alternatives, Traits, DA-specific abilities and gear, general stuff, and all of that. Proxy is your friend, too. Go with what you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually you could use both, since your "death spectres" aren't the actual dark anges, they will undoubtedly have thier own color scheme, so you really could use either or, just depending on the game, and the mood you are in.

Now based on what you think you would like in your army, Dark Angels are going to be better suited for that role. Using the bikes to run up real fast, and deepstrike half your termies turn one right near the bikes w/ teleport homers. All this while your split combat squads are providing supporting fire (combat squad w/ heavy weapon), and advancing to support the cc to come(combat squad w/ special weapon and PF seargent). Among this shooting, your land raiders get to blast away, and either transport your remaining termies, or have the remaining termies deepstrike later on.

Either way the important part is going to be finding a list that you enjoy to play, and that will win you a couple game.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    If Space Marines are redone in a year or less, I'm going to leave Warhammer permanently.

Well JJ did say at adepticon that the redux is being 'fast tracked' so I suspect it could come after chaos/orks.

Actually you could use both, since your "death spectres" aren't the actual dark anges, they will undoubtedly have thier own color scheme
    Yep, actually they are an official chapter (with next to no background) which I am 'fluffing out'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Why not try both out? You own both, you can always swap between lists. This will let you explore alternatives, Traits, DA-specific abilities and gear, general stuff, and all of that. Proxy is your friend, too. Go with what you like.
    Hmm yeah sounds like a good idea. I guess I'll try out DA first then see if that suits my playing style

Thanks for the insight all:yes:

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Remember, that land raiders take up a heavy support choice, weather or not they are selected to be a transport. So DA terminator can ride inside.

If your not planning on using the deathwing assault move, id go with normal marine terminators (Probably the assault verity.)

Id also run the crusader version, as it has more effective weapon systems for clearning out hoard, which is what you'll need. So that the terminator can go assault elites units that won't bog them down to much.

That will of course limit you to 3 squads. (which would cost about 1500 points)

So id advise you play this list at 3000.

Remember, you said you didn't care about being effective. So dont cry cheese when you lose 5 out of 6 games.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Remember, that land raiders take up a heavy support choice, weather or not they are selected to be a transport. So DA terminator can ride inside.

If your not planning on using the deathwing assault move, id go with normal marine terminators (Probably the assault verity.)

Id also run the crusader version, as it has more effective weapon systems for clearning out hoard, which is what you'll need. So that the terminator can go assault elites units that won't bog them down to much.

That will of course limit you to 3 squads. (which would cost about 1500 points)

So id advise you play this list at 3000.

Remember, you said you didn't care about being effective. So dont cry cheese when you lose 5 out of 6 games.
    Yeah, I was just lamenting the fact that they can't be used as transports because it limits my Heavy Support somewhat. I think I will try running it with DA & using one squad to Deathwing Assault, while another rides in a Crusader, or something similiar. If that doesn't work out for me I will try vanilla Terminators as you suggest.

I will let you all know how it goes, thanks for the advice

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Well, their is something to be said for DA lists of 3000 points. Their units tend to work better at that point limit.

You could make a fairly effective MECH force at that point cost, although I dont think the deathwing bomb would be a good idea.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I created this list that makes extensive use of both the land raider and terminators. I really dont see an effective army that uses the land raider and is also shooty. You may as well just take predators. Also, if you go for a 3000 pt list you could easily add in tons of bikes to my list.

Here is the list
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=90644 (2000 Friendly chapter SM)
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

+ Reply to Thread