Bored with the Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bored with the Marines

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out.

I've been really busy lately, prepping for the SAT and SAT IIs, and haven't had a whole lot of time to spend on 40k. Coming back to it a little now, though I'm still getting ready for my tests, I feel like the space Marines are just kind of dull. Sure you can run them anyway you like, but I feel like the only kind of army appealing to me is one filled with bikes, and that's financially prohibitive.

So if you have any ideas how I can spice up my marine army, and add something new to my game, let me know.

I appreciate it greatly!

~Chipmunk

~What is it with chicks and elves?

Record:

Space Marines:
    2-0-1
    Individual: 1-0-0 Team: 1-0-0 Mega: 0-0-1

Dwarfs:
    2-2-0
    Individual: 1-2-0 Team: 0-0-0 Mega: 1-0-0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way I found to spice up my marines chapter was to convert my guys. Change them around once in a while. I have a veteran sergeant with have his body as bionics climbing on ripper bodies while cutting a ripper in half with a sentinel CCW that is now his arm. That's what it's about. Personalizing your guys.

And if you haven't already, make up some good fluff for your boys, this is another thing that keeps you drawn in. This way you can also convert your guys to your fluff too. But in the end, nothing says I'm proud of my boys like a space marine with a thunder hammer drop kicking a Tau.

Lance
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Lucius View Post
    But in the end, nothing says I'm proud of my boys like a space marine with a thunder hammer drop kicking a Tau.
    Lmao. Or a Chuck Norris looking scout roundhouse kicking Abaddon through a window?

Anyway, I agree to his point, and use things you never would, continuously modifying your lists.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Instead of working on your Warhammer Army, read some books, work on writing out your army's fluff. Trust me it helps. On my second runthrough of the SATs I boosted my Reading section by 100 points and my writing by a bit as well. Though my math suffered due to not working with it for a year. Meh, my overall score went up drastically.

So, instead of spending all your time building and painting miniatures sit back and enjoy a good fiction novel. Like Terry Pratchett or the Warhammer 40k books.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

How about drop podding? Poor mans drop pods, are upside-down plastic cups, spray painted, with a storm bolter glued to the top. That about the easiest way to play a completely different style army - and it will run you about 2 dollars.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my worst problem with conversions is that I'm not very good at it, nor do I have the money to get the parts I need. I like the ideas about fluff and drop pods though. Any rarely seen units that are fun to play?

~Chipmunk
    ~What is it with chicks and elves?

Record:

Space Marines:
    2-0-1
    Individual: 1-0-0 Team: 1-0-0 Mega: 0-0-1

Dwarfs:
    2-2-0
    Individual: 1-2-0 Team: 0-0-0 Mega: 1-0-0

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Eh, and poor mans storm bolters, are two bolters glue together, it doesn't get less expensive then that.

But, eh I like whirlwinds a lot, haven't seem many people sporting them anymore.
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Chipmunk View Post
    Hey guys, maybe you can help me out.

I've been really busy lately, prepping for the SAT and SAT IIs, and haven't had a whole lot of time to spend on 40k. Coming back to it a little now, though I'm still getting ready for my tests, I feel like the space Marines are just kind of dull. Sure you can run them anyway you like, but I feel like the only kind of army appealing to me is one filled with bikes, and that's financially prohibitive.

So if you have any ideas how I can spice up my marine army, and add something new to my game, let me know.

I appreciate it greatly!

~Chipmunk
    Well, I like an army filled with foot guys. Tac Squads, devastators, and the occasional assault marines--I find the basic marine to be plenty fun to play.

That being said, I would point out that the new Dark Angels stuff has made playing a bike army much more affordable. Instead of being 15 bucks to a bike, straight up, you can now buy bikes in sets of three for thirty-five dollars (the old squadron was still 45 for three bikes). In addition, the Ravenwing army box, with six bikes, a Landspeeder Tornado, and an Attack bike is an excellent buy for 90 bucks--you basically get a free landspeeder and attack bike with your six bikes.

Also, it's worth noting that, though these boxes come with the awesome dark-angels accessory sprues, they also have all the pieces necessary to make the bikes without any dark angels bits at all--so you don't have to play dark angels to make use of the boxes.

If you like bikes, I'd try re-costing the army. It might be cheaper than you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Eh, and poor mans storm bolters, are two bolters glue together, it doesn't get less expensive then that.

But, eh I like whirlwinds a lot, haven't seem many people sporting them anymore.
    personally converted my whirlwind out of a rhino I got in the SW box set. Just find a decent model somewhere sporting some prohibitively large missiles, cut it up and apply to the top. I think the model I used was a plastic army men vehicle o sorts I picked up for roughly 3 dollars.

Anyway, back to the real subject. I can understand what you mean with interest fading. God knows it's been a problem of mine. Hence the reason I only have one completed army (My Space wolves who are in dire need of a repaint) and 4 unfinished or barely started armies (Beasts of Chaos, Orks, Imperial guard and Alpha legion chaos, guess you could include the skaven that made up my first army too...). Yeah, honestly I'm not the best poster-boy for sticking with your army. What I can say however is that few things can keep you as interested in your army as working on some fluff for them.

Why wolves are fairly barren of real fluff, but I built the whole army fairly quickly so I didn't have time to get distracted. My orks on the other hand have quite a bit of fluff, mostly developped during the medusa campaign (I'm quite proud of my achievements there). My planned chaos army has been centered around the missing Blood ravens of the 5th company, so they will be painted in blood raven scheme and have a prominent psyker at their head. Now I really got carried away with my guardsmen fluff and have whole pages of notes on ideas I've had. I won't bother writting it all down here but even the officers in the army have a loose history at this point.

Conversions are also a good way to add some more character to any force. Sure they may not be great at the start, but over time you'll get some pretty nifty stuff going. Honestly most of my conversions are still pretty basic but I've seen some great things in the past.

Working on stuff behind the army is a great way to renew interest, at least in my case. Hmmm, maybe I should start working on my Wolf fluff to get me back into painting them.

Well best of luck, and sorry for the lengthy post, I get sidetracked pretty easily.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

If it's just your marines that are boring you, then yeah, follow what the guys above say. (I don't play marines).

However, if it's 40k in general, then honestly, I'd shelve your mini's for a later day. I'm a senior in college and I can say that any time spent playing 40k in school would have come at the cost of doing things that, honestly, I could only do in college. Only at the very end do I see myself with enough time and reason to play again. I'm gussing you're getting ready to go to college in fall '08, and there's going to be a lot of stuff happening between now, then, and after. Great thing about 40k is that you can always come back to it if you decide to take some time off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast