Command Squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command Squads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Command Squads

Hey

Sorry, this kind of sounds like a dumb question but should you ever move your command squad in attack range or should you always keep it pretty fair back?

I usually keep mine far back so they draw less fire but should I give them better offensive capabilities and have the join the fight with the rest of my infantry?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Giving them a heavy weapon with some range to it should let them take part in the battle while still keeping out of range of most of the return fire. Weapons like a heavy bolter give you the range to fire but also don't make the squad stand out to much where as if you gave them a lascannon that squad would be a number one target and you don't want that as you need them to keep your men fighting.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Your main commander should be behind the biggest rock you can find (or something similar) so your enemy never sees him.

Your Lieutenants, heck who cares, send em to the slaughter, there only SGT's ruleswise

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

I like mine firing. If you kill/blow up whatever is coming at you first, what's there to worry about?

My logic is everything should shoot. You want to stick them behind something? Sure, give them a Mortar. If you need them to move around and help in counter assaults? No problem, give them Grenade Launchers.

Its all how you plan on using them.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Definitely hold back at least two Command Squad with (your HQ and perhaps one of your platoon officers with an honourifica). These are your primary LD nodes and cover a 48" area of your deployment zone (which is all you should really need. If you've got any extra command squads then slap a Heavy Bolter in the unit and use them to plug any gaps in your lines, or deepstrike them with some special weapons, it's not vital these guys see the day through so you can be fairly risky with them.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I like a couple like Triumph said for Leadership, Mortar, Iron discipline - period. After that, they are perfect for a 4 Plasma Gun or Melta gun suicide squad.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

My main command squad is a little different from the norm I guess - I keep them around as a counter assault unit, and its always worked well for me in the past.

I give the whole squad ccw/lp's, a standard bearer for the obcvious benefits, my officer has a power axe (plus bolt pistol, its only 1 point), and an attached priest with an eviscerator (actually a techpriest, but hey, this ones a little more crazy than the rest).

They just sit back giving ld support till needed, and in the last 2 games when they got stuck in they have killed an orc warboss plus retinue and a black templars dreadnought, as examples.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also use the counter assault command squad. I outfit it a bit differently though. I take a power sword, bolt pistol and refractor field for my HSO. Las Pistol and CCW for my grunts. I also take a Commissar with a power fist and Las Pistol. Frag grenades around to all but the Commissar as they would due him no good. I usually give this squad the Hardened Fighters Doctrine. One of my JO squads is outfitted identically minus the bolt pistol and plus an honorifica imperialis. These squads serve as a LD 10 bubble and pack a punch in close combat.

I've often debated priests, and have even modeled some out of Catachan/Witch Hunter bits sporting chain fists since eviscerators are hard to get ahold of and have the same rules. I find it fits the Catachan army design well visually, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them on the field. I'm thinking that a priest added to each of my close combat command squads would make for an interesting melee squad, but I do feel that the priests points cost are a bit high, especially with the eviscerator. I know a Commissar with a power fist costs the same but his stats are better and he comes with a LD bonus. Also paying 260 points for four models on the field seems a bit absurd with the guard.

Has anyone had any real success with priests? Are they worth their points?
    Last edited by Fenix1776; April 18th, 2007 at 16:38.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Has anyone had any real success with priests? Are they worth their points?
    My god yes. Sure, the commissar gives the Ld bonus, but then there is also the often encountered chance he will simply execute that officer of yours, so its balanced a little.

In my opinion, after the eviscerator, the priest's most important addition is the re-roll of missed attacks on the charge - really quite awesome, and often devastating.

Also, that eviscerator can quite readily hack apart dreadnoughts and tanks (often does for me), something that a regular imperial guard powerfist might have a bit of trouble doing.

My priest is modelled from a priest of sigmar, his priestly simbols removed and replaced with skull/cogs, I gave him a hood instead of fur at the back, and his eviscerator is the upgraded techmarine's poweraxe, with the edge blunted and given a chainblade. Works pretty well in my opinion!

As to wether he is worth his points, well, that simply depends on how you want to use your command squad, and how the rest of your army is set up. If you want them to have a heavy weapon, for instance, forget it.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give priests a shot in my next game and let you know how they fare.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast