Starting Witch Hunters... Need Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Witch Hunters... Need Advice

I'm sorry for making a thread like this, but i'm new to witch hunters and I need advice.

I'm going to be starting Witch hunters in a cityfight campaign. The other two opponents will be radical Daemon Hunters, and the other will be grey knights. In a cityfight campaign, which units would you reccomend to use?

P.S. I broke my hand, and can only type with one hand, so i might not post too much until I can get to using my Tablet PC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I recommend lots of Sisters and Seraphim. Tanks won't be of much use I have to say, Immolator might be useful but Exorcist won't be. There isn't much to choose from in our army, just don't take any of our close combat units and you should be okay.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Hmmm city fight eh?

Well as Path says Plenty of Sisters and Seraphim will do you good. Sisters are naturally suited to short ranged shooting so they'll do well in city fight where there's plenty of terrain to stay away from long ranged firepower. The only problem they have is their lack of movement where fast units can easily catch them off guard, which is where the Seraphim come in. They will be able to provide the fast moving cover your foot troops need to protect against opposing fast moving infantry. You'll find flamers and meltaguns will provide plenty of firepower in short ranged fights.

However don't forget small squads of Storm Troopers can provide you with flexible weapons for excellent support to Sisters. Plasmaguns, Flamers, Meltaguns and Grenade Launchers are all possible options and adds plenty of kick for a small points cost.

Now I disagree with Path on the no close combat units. Usually these units suffer from being shot at and dying before they reach combat. However with the plenty of terrain given to them in city fight they have a higher sucess chance of making into combat. Arco Flaggellants and Penitant Engines are good for this. Even if they weren't to charge, Arco Flaggellants make excellent counter units for enemy squads who get too close to your sisters units, whom are normally weaker in close combat.

Anyways, even if they are less effective I wouldn't mock Retributors and Immolators. Retributors can put their multimeltas to greater effect given the denser terrain (Their 24" range can be put o good use) but even with Heavy Bolters you can easily cover firing lanes such as roads, easily preventing an opponent from moving his infantry to such areas of the feild. Immolators, although limited to roads provide armour for where your troops can hide behind should your opponent decide to cover firing paths with his own long ranged heavy weapons squads, not to mention the vehical can move 12" and still release it's flamer.

However if you give the Immolator a small squad who can utilise the top hatch the vehicle can become an effective mobile fire base. For example, an Inquisitor and 2 Plasmagun Warriors will enable you to fire twin heavy flamers and 2 plasmagun shots after moving 12". If you're worried about terrain dozer blades always help.

Anyways, summary; weather you're fighting mainly in city fight or open terrain I recommend you start off with a Cannoness, 2 squads of Sisters and a small squad of Seraphim. This will give you a solid base to theme your army that will be quite successful in battle. What you do after this can easily be found out by playing a few games. The advice I've given above is suited to City fight, if you also intend to fight other types of Battles purchasing an one/two Exorcists or/and an Immolator are relatively safe bets.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Now I disagree with Path on the no close combat units. Usually these units suffer from being shot at and dying before they reach combat. However with the plenty of terrain given to them in city fight they have a higher sucess chance of making into combat. Arco Flaggellants and Penitant Engines are good for this. Even if they weren't to charge, Arco Flaggellants make excellent counter units for enemy squads who get too close to your sisters units, whom are normally weaker in close combat.
    Never thought of using them like that, I personally don't play city fight, but I know units would be generally good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    Never thought of using them like that, I personally don't play city fight, but I know units would be generally good.
    Well, i'm on the tablet now, so I can respond much quicker.

Now, about CC with the Sisters of Battle. How do I cope against grey knights, daemon hosts, and other up close nasties? Even though they have MEQ armor, they don't have the muscle to back it up.

Also, , I have a question. Are all grey knights or daemonhosts psychic? Because if so, an Inquisitor Lord with four acolytes with carapace armor, and stake crossbow combi-bolters, maybe some plasma gun vets, and you'll leave smoking craters where grey knight squads once were.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Now, about CC with the Sisters of Battle. How do I cope against grey knights, daemon hosts, and other up close nasties? Even though they have MEQ armor, they don't have the muscle to back it up.

Also, , I have a question. Are all grey knights or daemonhosts psychic? Because if so, an Inquisitor Lord with four acolytes with carapace armor, and stake crossbow combi-bolters, maybe some plasma gun vets, and you'll leave smoking craters where grey knight squads once were.
    Inquisitors are not allowed to take four alcoytes. I don't believe Daemons are and I have to say Grey Knights aren't. What you might actually want to do is max out on ISTs with plasma guns, the number of shots from those guns ought to cut down and grey knights that get near you. Like was already mentioned try not to get anything caught in combat except Arco-flagellants or the Repentia if you want to use them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

CC with SOBs? Well, Sisters carry Bolters, so no CC after you shoot Rapid Fire Weapons (we do not have SM training). Since Sisters are T3 WS3 S3 units, you will not want to charge instead of firing your them anyway. IF someone charges you - well, the only good thing is your Power Armour.

Marginally better are the Celestians (Elite choice – there are no separate models for them, people usually just paint the SOB models differently to represent Celestians) - they always hit on 3+ (unless you fight a Monstrous Creature or an IC) due to their Holy Hatred rule. After you get two basic troop choices, I would recommend making all your other SOBs into Celestians (No need to upgrade your Sister Superior to make the squad faithful, so the whole upgrade should be around 5 points or so). At least when they get charged, they will be able to swing back a tad better. This will be especially important in close range firefights such as City Tables.

Flamers will be your friends. You do not need to upgrade your VSS with plasma pistols – I have grown to using mine with standard issue Bolters. If you want special weapons – how about Brazier of Holy Fire or combi Bolter-Flamer? 6 man squads of IST with Plasma Guns will run well under 100pts each. Immolators rock in the city – move 12” and flame is VERY GOOD. At least, you will have a mobile fire magnet and a distraction – also under 100pts.

CC – someone said something very new to me on this forum before – Assault phase can be taken care of in the shooting phase, if you kill enough of your opponents outright. This is probably the best advice for SOBs in CC situations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
    Immolators rock in the city – move 12” and flame is VERY GOOD. At least, you will have a mobile fire magnet and a distraction – also under 100pts.
    One thing to add-- take the Immolators as Transports for Dominion and Retributor squads if you field those units. That will free up Heavy Support slots for other things, even more Immolators!

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Audible Silence View Post

I believe all Grey Knights are psykers yes. Don't have my dex on me at the moment, but for sure the terminaters are. Don't recall deamonhosts though.

Also, the SoB's are not made to handle hth combat well. So the best way is really to avoid getting into it. Close to mid-range is where Sisters really shine though. So when they get close rapid-fire them. Move and shoot until you thin his squads down to your liking.

City Fights are tricky, you've got tons of cover, little line of sight. Mobility is your friend! Take Seraphim, transports. Remember though, that your opponent will be thinking that as well. Try to deny him his mobility. You can block a street or two with an immolater or chimera, and that forces troops to go where you want them to. Not sure bout the radical DH, but the Grey Knight force will have to rely on deep striking. Which means after the initial jump, they're foot troops. Keep some melta/plasma handy against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also consider getting an Inquisitor and some assassins- they can make up for the SoB's lack of combat skill. Death cult assassins are cheap and quite powerful, so they will be useful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast