Benefits against Chaos... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Benefits against Chaos...

Hey Guys,

I had a game against chaos the other day for the first time and got nailed by the sustained reentry rule (what ever the name is for it) .. now granted I didn't have a couple of tooled out anti chaos GM or =][='s but I didn't see what benefits we had against our nemesis...
    So my question to all you is what benefits do we hold against the forces of chaos???? Please help me..
    I realize the psycannon, incinerator and psybolts are great against daemons.. but there must be more... arn't we the bane of their existence??? {confused}

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Harvey View Post
    Hey Guys,

I had a game against chaos the other day for the first time and got nailed by the sustained reentry rule (what ever the name is for it) .. now granted I didn't have a couple of tooled out anti chaos GM or =][='s but I didn't see what benefits we had against our nemesis...
    So my question to all you is what benefits do we hold against the forces of chaos???? Please help me..
    I realize the psycannon, incinerator and psybolts are great against daemons.. but there must be more... arn't we the bane of their existence??? {confused}
    Really it is what we can take from our armoury that makes good at anti-Chaos. We do have the special rule that gives all Deamons -1 leadership, but it is the Sacred Incense, Grimoure of True names etc that really make us good, especially against Deamon HQs.

They of course get that lovely sustained attack rule against us always. "Great, all those Bloodletters I just managed to kill to come back!!(

I do find that in Tournements, we can have trouble with Chaos as I never take these upgrades for a Take all Comers list, as I just don't see enough Chaos amries.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Honestly, daemonic sustained assault totally outweighs any and all inherent anti-chaos benefits that we have. The Aegis is vitually useless, and will be totally useless in a few months after the new Chaos codex is released, because there will be no more minor psychic powers. How often is it that those fast daemons fail their difficult terrain test to assault us? (And usually, having superior initiative, you should be in cover to begin with, so that special ability ain't so hot.) And ... well. That's it. That's the extent of our built-in anti-chaos abilities. The rest of them we have to buy. But other than sacred incense -- which, fortunately, effectively affects an entire squad -- the wargear is extremely expensive and limited to models directly in base contact with a character.

So we're actually at a disadvantage against Chaos. More so than any other army, ironically. Buying wargear and vehicle upgrades to try and lessen the disparity is largely a fool's game, because those are almost always useless against any other opponent.

You're just going to have to suck it up and accept the painful reality that we Daemonhunters are the worst Chaos-fighters around. (

Just hope that you can earn enough VPs from the returning daemons to outweigh all the VP losses you'll be suffering yourself. Sometimes, it does happen!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

The advantage we have against chaos is that for only a few more points we can either out shoot, or out CC their marked marines. Sure Khorne dominate us in hand to hand, and Slannesh will out shoot us, but we have the ability to run away while laying down lots of fire or teleport next to them and assault without taking too much fire. The real problem is the sustained assault rule, which I think needs to be changed to the without number rule that the Tyranids get; they can only re-enter from their own board edge, so slow units that are tough for us (bloodletters) wont need to be dealt with twice (hopefully), and the faster unit can be meat for our psycannons. The problem is that right now the sustained assault rule doesn't give us a chance to kill the fast ones without being assaulted, and puts the bloodletters close enough to re-engage. However I do agree, that we don't really get benefits against chaos, and we should get any in an allcomers list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I agree with nichodemus10 about the without number modification. It would help indeed if a DH army isn't tooled anti Chaos.

But when totally Tooled vs Chaos, the without number ruling would only work even more to our benefit...

But DH isn't that extra good against Chaos. Only vs Demons, Chaos units which count as demonic are most of the times fearless (or practically). And facing another Bloodthirster unit could be really fatal. (I once played against a Chaos player, and once I told that my DH units were going to kick his ass, he only took a hell lot of Bloodthirsters and those winged things with claws. That was a really tough game, because I wasn't all that Anti Deamon )
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilconic View Post
    I agree with nichodemus10 about the without number modification. It would help indeed if a DH army isn't tooled anti Chaos.

But when totally Tooled vs Chaos, the without number ruling would only work even more to our benefit...

But DH isn't that extra good against Chaos. Only vs Demons, Chaos units which count as demonic are most of the times fearless (or practically). And facing another Bloodthirster unit could be really fatal. (I once played against a Chaos player, and once I told that my DH units were going to kick his ass, he only took a hell lot of Bloodthirsters and those winged things with claws. That was a really tough game, because I wasn't all that Anti Deamon )
    I wholeheartedly agree that it would be nice to have some wargear that was at least marginally effective against non-daemon/Chaos opponents!

However, regarding the Daemonic Infestation special rule... well... they already do enter play from the table edge =P. Or, they're supposed to, anyways. So, no change necessary =).

Regarding Bloodthirsters, I think you maybe mean Bloodletters? Bloodthirsters are Greater Daemons, and the Sustained Assault special rule doesn't apply to them. It only applies to three seperate entities, which are listed in our 'dex.

Good luck!

-H
    Last edited by Hasten; April 23rd, 2007 at 21:39.
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

I have only played chaos twice but I would have to say that the only really useful wargear is sacred incense ( since it affects everything that is in combat with the character ) and that all of the default bonuses we get dont even really effect anything ( never had aegis, or rites of exorcism help me yet ) and for those they get to have all thier none greater daemons basically stay on the field. The most useful thing I have done is take an inquisitor with a bolt pistol / ccw and sanctuary, then what you do is have him follow your GM around and try to head for the squad that you think his marked champion will be in ( for me it was a biker that charged across the field to me ) then have the GM and his gaurds or some grey knights pick a fight with them and just try get the inquisitor near the champion and have him use sanctuary. It can be alittle tricky but if you do it right then if the champion dies or gets taken over you got him in sanctuary so the greater daemon goes away as soon as it hits the board if part or all of its base is within the power, since sanctuary says all daemons that enter play with the radius are destroyed. ( for me this was great as I killed the super slaanesh one with a 37 point model and didnt suffer any loses )
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyzaru View Post
    It can be alittle tricky but if you do it right then if the champion dies or gets taken over you got him in sanctuary so the greater daemon goes away as soon as it hits the board if part or all of its base is within the power, since sanctuary says all daemons that enter play with the radius are destroyed. ( for me this was great as I killed the super slaanesh one with a 37 point model and didnt suffer any loses )
    That's darned clever! :ninja:
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Well, just to add a thought, aren't your intended opponents Daemons as opposed to Chaos Marines? I mean, no doubt you'll have an advantage over them, cause their tainted. But...meh. The Sacred Incense and Grimoire (spelling, sorry) are quite nice, and not that expensive to take. They have a HUGE effect on the game. The Aegis does come in handy, though mostly against Thousand Sons, which I happen to play BTW. But ah, I see your point. Not sure where I stand on it, but I definitely see where you are coming from. But on our side, it does seem kinda unfair to have an army meant to fight you, like.....cool fluffwise, but..stinky for us? I mean, what if there was an army to fight only Grey Knights?

*Cowers for cover from the impending Stormbolter doom*
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Thanks every one... I reread the book over and over and thought I must be missing something :/
    Last I played a unit of Bloodletters took down a whole unit of GK's... who fortunatly killed most of them in return, but then they came straight back on the board from the edge near my deployment zone a took out my inquisitor and retinue... I gasped.

Oh well hopefully with the rules being updated in the next decade, we could have this rule fixed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast