Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Ive been playing DOW DC alot just lately, and i really enjoy playing Marines! This in some way has influenced me into possibly collecting Marines.
Just a few questions for you Marine fanatics:
- Are Marines considered nooby or imbalanced? I have heard alot about how Marines are designed for begginers.
- Are Marines an easy army to play with? I want an army that will give me a challenge, i dont want an easy ride everytime i play.
- Are Marines common? This is probably a bad question, but are Marines seen everywhere? Is every gaming table in your workshop housing at least one Chapter?
Thanks alot guys/girls!
They are probably the most forgiving army for mistakes. With the 3+ save and Toughness 4 a SM army can survive a lot of punishment without caving. However, they just can't walk down the field.- Are Marines an easy army to play with? I want an army that will give me a challenge, i dont want an easy ride everytime i play.Marines are probably the most common. Most armies are tooled for anti-marine because of there are many other armies that are Marine Equivalent (MEQ).- Are Marines common? This is probably a bad question, but are Marines seen everywhere? Is every gaming table in your workshop housing at least one Chapter?
Now, the questions aside, you're probably asking "Why would I want to play marines?". The answer is customizability. The sheer number of different units a marine army can field can be amazing. Combine that with traits and it's hard to find two people with anything close to the same type of army list. About the only army I can think of that is more customizable is the Chaos Marines.
Welcome to the game!
"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
Let's take one step at the time!
- Marines are considered an army for beginners but experienced players too may enjoy play with them! They can use so many advanced tactics and weaponry and the normal Marine doesn't get killed as easily as other troops in other armies.
- Marines are an easy army to play. Not so easy to win everyone, everytime. You will find challenges that even Marines cannot handle with! So you will not get bored too easily, except of course if the opponents you have are too noobish to their armies and can't make a full use of them!
- Marines are seen everywhere! They are from the most common armies the Universe has ever known! So at least two to three exist in every gaming club! Imagine the thrill of the fight against a Space Marine army of another player. There are many players and everyone has a different playing approach to Marines... so you will not see too many players fielding Marines and everyone starts firing from a distance... ok you will see if both are playing shooty Marine armies. But as I said at least two or three armies of Space Marines exist in every gaming club!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me
I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...
Marines are one of the most customiseable armies in the game. You can pretty much make it as hard or as easy as you like.
Marines are a good army to begin with, but that doesn't mean that they're a noob army. They come under a lot of flack because other players get power armour jealousy.
The best thing to do is ignore these immature fools and play the army that YOU want to. Don't let people put you off. They're a common army, but so what? Clothes are common, and you don't go around throwing them off in public eh?
Marines are damn cool. Definitely one of the coolest aspect of the 40K universe.
If someone says they hate marines, they're lying. Everyone secretly loves marines - especially eldar players who have been killed by an assault cannon. It's like that Britney Spears song which you hate, but know secretly that you really like it.
Of course, I play Chaos. Which is several million notches cooler than Marines - but this is common knowledge.
On DoW Chaos have the greatest voices too. heh heh.
Good luck, play fair and HAVE FUN!
The thing that I remember most when I started Marines was a quote:
"Marines are very easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master"
This I hold true to this day. You see, the rules for Space Marines are very forgiving. And They Shall Know No Fear, power armour, enhanced toughness; all this lends to an army that goes easy for first time players.
But, because of this ease of play from the beginning, its hard to try and sit down and work with it. You can't get any really burly combos due to marines tending to be slow (unlike Eldar). Also, some armies have it tough to start, so those who play them tend to get good quick in order to simply compete.
40k is a thinking game. Alot of aspects of Space Marines allow you to not think thoroughly with some things, and still eek out a victory. You still need to learn to apply thinking to the game in order to do well. Some armies lend themselves to this more than others. Marines isn't one of them.
But, by no means am I saying that Space Marines isn't a thinking army (try Khornate Chaos). I'm saying that it doesn't require nearly as much thinking as say Dark Eldar in order to do decently.
Sorry.. it's not really to the point.. but I have new found respect for Khorne.
Khorne is very easy to just play.. However with 4th edition you're gonna lose every game vs anyone experienced
They're quite difficult to play well and win. So yes I would consider them a thinking army in 4th edition. In 3rd edition even a monkey on dope could have played khorne tho (same with any transport army really)
Marines arent a noob army.. Once you start facing eldar, tau, orks and the other non-marine armies you'll realize that it takes multiple types of strategy to win against these vastly different armies
These replies are awesome! Thanks alot!
When were Marines re-released? Which month of last year was it?
One thing i always look for in an army are leaders that are rock hard! What are the HQ choices like? What experiences have you had with your HQ?
They were released about two or three years ago.
But, they're bound to have a re-dux, to include all the current trends of Combat Squads and fixed weaponry, and all that what not.