Conscripts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: 50 conscripts and a Commisar?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Take them! They will be a gr8 choice!

36 75.00%
  • No! Don't invest so much money! They are a terrible unit!

12 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conscripts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conscripts

I am thinking of putting a squad of conscript in my IG army. 50 conscripts and a commisar with trademark item and powerfist. Will they be a good unit or not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

No middle ground choice? I think they're an ok/pretty good unit and you should take them if you like the idea of them and they fit in with what you are trying to do with your army, otherwise don't feel obligated to take them, because they aren't *that* great. - From the words of someone who has never played as imperial guard.

EDIT: I suggest you scroll down and look at the "similar threads" section on the bottom left as the top 5 there will probably help you a whole lot, people may not reply that much because the questions has aleady been dealt with before. That's why it always pays off to use the 'search' fuction before starting a new thread.
    Last edited by Tenozuma; April 26th, 2007 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

commisar with trademark item and powerfist
    Scrap the powerfist. I'd probably scrap the trademark item as well.

My point is that an independant commissar is an independant character - in hth he can be singled out by your enemy, and thus is quite easily killed, unless you keep him at the back of the pack, and out of btb.

If you try and use the powerfist, he WILL die. Before he gets to actually punch any alien face. And then your grunts will be more likely to run. Also, if you give him a trademark item as well, well, this will just make them run faster!

It is a great unit, however, and can be very frustrating to your opponent if used correctly. Talk about an objective holder!

P.S Flamers work well also, as you dont need BS. Personally, I am also tempted to try 5 HB - simply 'cos some shots are bound to hit, and it would be ages before you would have to remove any due to shooting casualties (45 other guys would have to die, in fact, assuming you have passed all neccessary LD tests). And imagine that in a cityfight with the ammo dump strategem!

P.P.S And dont forget that the commissars fearless 'execute' thingy only works once!
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie View Post
    Scrap the powerfist. I'd probably scrap the trademark item as well.

My point is that an independant commissar is an independant character - in hth he can be singled out by your enemy, and thus is quite easily killed, unless you keep him at the back of the pack, and out of btb.

If you try and use the powerfist, he WILL die. Before he gets to actually punch any alien face. And then your grunts will be more likely to run. Also, if you give him a trademark item as well, well, this will just make them run faster!

It is a great unit, however, and can be very frustrating to your opponent if used correctly. Talk about an objective holder!

P.S Flamers work well also, as you dont need BS. Personally, I am also tempted to try 5 HB - simply 'cos some shots are bound to hit, and it would be ages before you would have to remove any due to shooting casualties (45 other guys would have to die, in fact, assuming you have passed all neccessary LD tests). And imagine that in a cityfight with the ammo dump strategem!

P.P.S And dont forget that the commissars fearless 'execute' thingy only works once!
    Good advice. Tenozuma's right that there are lots of threads on this already though.

Cadaver, I've been thinking the same thing about the 5xHB's! I traditionally use my conscripts as a huge tar pit unit, give em flamers and keep an officer nearby (I prefer a nearby HSO w/ standard rather than a commissar), and I charge them towards the meanest enemy unit.

But I have seen a guard player use a couple smallish platoons of conscripts w/ HB's. He just used them as an orky firing squad, and screened his line squads, and it worked very well. (he was also an ork player - the many uses of Gretchin come to mind!)

But like Teno said, they aren't really a must-have unit. Take em if you want, and if they fit in your strategy/fluff, otherwise go for something you like more.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Conscripts are equal to normal troops. Think about it:
    3 Conscripts fire, 1 hits
    2 normal troops fire, 1 hits
    Equal numbers of lasgun hits. In melee, the -1 WS really doesn't matter (except Tau, but you probably won't get the chance to assault). And, because you have three conscripts, they can take much more damage than regular Guard. The way they lose out is because A. They can't take Lascannons (although that's a small penalty), B. Special/Heavy weps cost more, and C. VERY unwieldy to try to use a large squad. That said, they are a terrific unit.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaver Junkie View Post
    If you check the FAQ on the GW website, it says that the summary execution rule can be used on a squad everytime it fails a leadership check (if there is no officer or sergeant, then he shoots a random model of your choice). This makes your conscript squad nearly fearless!

A unit of 50 conscripts with 5 flamers and a commissar is gonna bring on the hurt (or at least a long annoyance) for your opponent. Two or THREE squads of 50 conscripts with flamers and all led by a commissar is just downright mean.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

The text from the FAQ reads:

If the Commissar is from a unit that does not have an Officer or Sergeant leading it, the Summary Execution rule means the unit will take one casualty before it then passes its morale test.
    It doesn't say anything about everytime. Then theres this:

The Summary Execution rule from the codex states that once the model is removed, the unit is assumed to have passed its morale test, and then the unit fights under the Ld of the Commissar.

So sorry buddy, it would be nice, but the execution rule only works the very first time the squad fails it's Ld test. But still, even after that, the commissar's Ld is quite nice!

(Edit: P.S Even if your ruling was correct, it would still only work twice, with the commissar (who is now leading the squad) executing himself on the second fail!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will not be an independent character, i have 2 commisars in my list and 1 platoon. I dont need independent commisars so no worries!

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

He will not be an independent character, i have 2 commisars in my list and 1 platoon. I dont need independent commisars so no worries!
    So you don't have a HQ-unit?
    It is written quite clear what units can have priests and commisars attached and Conscripts ain't one of them. Sorry.
    But why not use Gaunt?
    THat'd make them fearless I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

301 (x7)

But why not use Gaunt?
    THat'd make them fearless I think.

Gaunt would be pretty awesome! He's very good value for his points.

On the other hand, he HAS to engage enemy models if at all possible, so they might not be fearless for very long.

Pick and choose eh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast