Doctrines & conscripts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctrines & conscripts

When fielding conscripts, i know that they work like a big squad rather than a platoon, so do i have to pay for doctrines once for the eintire group, or once per 10 guys in it?

What I'm getting at here is that im planning to try and make my own penal legion army, but not use shaeffer because I dont like his fluff. They take criminal scum and make small, elite and well equiped armies out of them. That does not make sense. The imperium wouldn't waste its better equipment on criminals. A penal legion army would be one with numbers of men in excess of supply, but starved for almost any other rescource due to other regiments always getting priority. It would therefore use the maximum permissible number of conscripts, motivated by commissars and chem inhalers.

I was thinking the doctrines would look something like:

Conscript Platoons
    Chem inhalers
    Independant Commissars
    Iron Discipline
    Drop Troops (to make a suicide vet squad, the best way to ensure that being sent to the penal legion is a death penalty)

O by the way, is a commissar an officer? Can he take iron discipline?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Im pretty sure that Conscripts may not take special equipment as they do not count as "guard infantry"

I had a look in my codex but i couldn't find anything saying that they couldn't take special equipment. Its just what i have heard on these forums.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Chem Inhalers and Iron Discipline? And Commissars?

As far as I know they can't take special equipment since they are rookies! And Commissars, at least in Army Builder, can take Iron Discipline! Correct me if I'm wrong!

But what you have written down suggests that this penal legion will be criminals as well because of the Chem Inhalers... why else fighting? Maybe change it a little in the fluff and say that a Commissar started recruiting for a specific role etc etc...
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

@Tsele
    Actually you are wrong unfortunately. Commisars arent officers as such so dont get access to iron discipline. (I'd check for an army builder upgrade or patch)

and for the rest of the thread...

Conscripts are not eligible to take doctrines well most, the only one they can take is close order drill. If you read the guard infantry definition on the first page of the doctrines section then you will see what units can and cant take doctrines.
    For this army to take lots of conscripts you are going to have to take lots of platoons. Could i suggest that you make the platoons be criminals with minor infractions, such as spitting on an officers shoe, painting zebra stripes on other soldiers faces with boot polish and then changing their alarms so they go into work like it (one of my dads better RAF stories). And the conscripts can be the dregs, those in for life for say spitting on the officers shoe and not apologising, or killing an officer etc. That way the army still ahs a decent theme.

Someone posted a similar themed army in the lists area. I'd have a look around there. He came up with the idea that the command squads could be the guards and handlers.

Look forward to seeing a list

hope that helps

A

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Most Doctrines state that "Guard Infantry units may take..." them.

Page 55, bottom left of the page, defines what a "Guard Infantry unit" is and includes.

Unfortunately, Conscripts are not included in that, as you will read.

Commissars are also not Officers. Only Junior Officers through Heroic Senior Officers are classified as Officers - hence the part of their name, "Officers."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a bit of reading, and here's what i found:

First of all, MY BAD! Cant mix iron discipline with chem inhalers. Oops.

There isnt any rule directectly banning conscripts from taking doctrines. The reason they cant is because all the doctrines say on pg 56-57 who they can be applied to, and unless specifically mention, they cannot. However, read chem inhalers carfully. It says "per unit", unlike most of them it does NOT say "guard infantry unit". This means that things like rough riders and storm troopers could take them as well.

After noticing those points, i did some very carefull reading on pages 56-57, and found that 3 doctrines can be applied to conscripts, they are:
    Close order drill
    Chem inhalers
    Warrior weapons

Anyways, back to the initial question:
    When fielding conscripts, i know that they work like a big squad rather than a platoon, so do i have to pay for doctrines once for the eintire group, or once per 10 guys in it?
    The answere to this question would determine weather the chem inhalers or the iron discipline would get replaced with close order drill.

For practical purposes i would take the iron discipline, but for fluff, i would rather have the chem inhalers.

With a commissar there it really doesnt matter if their moral gets reduced because a failed moral check just means that a conscript gets executed, and its the inability to regroup under half strenth that could really hurt.

The chem inhalers make more sense though. The imperium wouldn't send its better officers to command criminals, they would be reserved for the regiments where casualties actually mattered (well... mattered a little bit). They would be much quicker to just pump the dogs full of drugs and send them in.
    Last edited by Rabid_IBM; April 28th, 2007 at 08:26.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Hes right you know. To take the chem inhalers for conscripts do the following:
    The whole giant unit is a platoon that can't move out of coherancy. So for each squad (10 men you add) take the doctrine for them. So if you take 30 men you have to take the doctrine 3 times.

Does that make it clear or not?

Im seeing chem inhalers as better here. The regiment is made criminals enmasse for something. Over the years they have accumulated other scum from other regiments.

Would be great for modelling becasue of all the different uniforms you could include!

A

+ Reply to Thread