Serious question referring to Colonel's Special Rule: Leadership - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious question referring to Colonel's Special Rule: Leadership

I'd like to get to know how does the Colonel's Ld Special Rule work when the factual situation is as following: I have Command Platoon with Heroic Senior Officer and Commissar attached as an advisor which implicates Ld value of 10 and can be given to any squad within 12" (that's the thing I'm 100% sure of - the newest errata stipulates that Commissar Ld Bonus is related to Ld Special Rule). The question is - what if a master-vox is also included and every squad in army has a vox caster - does the Ld bonus given by Commissar apply to each squad (do they all take Ld tests with Ld 10) ??? Errata and codex say that things such as trademark items and Iron Discipline are not conveyed by a vox-caster but what about Commissar Ld. My friend is a witch hunters and ig player and his opinnion is that a vox caster works like ignoring range of Officer's Ld Special Rule - so he thinks that considered bonus applies. Any opinnions?

Another question: in general - how do you provide good Ld to IG? There are many possibilities but I have many problems with choosing the best one (vox casters only, Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill, Commissars, Chem Inhaler - this seems to be my favourite one because it helps my kasrkins in close combat but it is very expensive choice, or maybe some combination of the options given) ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

To your first question. No the commisars LD doesnt work down the vox. It is covered with the iron discipline and other stuff bit. It is an add on. (TBH its a nerfed rule why the hell would a soldier forget years of training just cos hes using a phone but thems the rules.)

As for the second question:

1) Voxes and an HSO, this is good if you have a mobile army as you will oftne be out of range. This benefits the elite units more. This can be combined with very little unfortunately.
    2) close order drill, vet sarges, and iron discipline. This is the most versatile of the setups and works well when your army is based arpound your platoons. Give the command a standard and iron discipline, (possibly even a commisar) then stick them behind your main line with a mortar. THen give the HI to a JO and stick him with iron discipline behind another section of your line. COD is free and if your command gets taken down is a good backup. The other option is to rely on the close order. COmmand setup as before accept the second platoon command and commisar is not included. The squads can then be given vet sarges. This makes the whole army slightly higher in the LD stakes and a little better at close combat. (To take advantage of the vet sarges fully spread bolters and bolt pistols around possibly even storm bolters, thisll give a lot of extra punch especially against low toughness and save models)
    3) Chem inhalers. Ive heard good things and it covers a lot of the army however it cant be used in conjunction with much and limits some of your tactical possibilities.

Personally I use close order drill voxes and iron discipline with the occaisional commisar. (we use a house rule for iron discipline but its useful anyway). I use this setup for several reasons. Firstly it goives me flexibility. I can move around therefore using the vox. Secondly if I have spare points I can get a couple of vet sarges to boost a coupel of squads. Thirdly the commisar and iron discipline give me a good safety net if I leave the command squad behind the main body of troops.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Lestat's got some good pointers. My short-and-simple advice would be to either (1) Use a vox system if you're mobile, or (2) use a standard bearer if you're stationary. And Heroic Officers for either of the two options.

The vet-sarge in every squad, plus COD is okay too, it's good if you don't want to be dependent on your officers, or you don't want to have fancy technology like voxes.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope the commissars bonus does not go through the vox so does not benifet the troops with a vox. Only thing it helps I beleive is if your within 12" with the leadership rule can the LD bonus be used.

Lots of combinations, lots of choices, some better then others, some crappy then others. Depends on what you want.
    You have the vox caster route which is used if you are going to be mobile. If your going to sit and shoot there not worth it because you should be deploying your guys in side a 12" bubble to begin with anyways, but that is of course you intend on useing that rule.

The CoD, ID, and vets way. Which is pretty well rounded like said before. Helps you platoons more, ID is a nice thing to have as it ignores modifers, CoD is good plus better if you have a vet sgt in the squad. Also its fun to use the vet doctrine with this as well. Some people throw in a standard for fun with this set up.

chem-inhalers are alright i guess, I've never used them but you do run into some diehard players who sware by them all the time. Might limit some things and I believe it is a little exspensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx for your help. As all of you've said, the option consisting of vet sgt, iron discipline and close order drill seems to be the best one because it's much cheaper than others.

One more thing i'd like to know is how to use chem inhaler doctrine for Command Platoon and its supportinbg squads. Normally we buy a doctrine for each squad (GUARD INFANTRY UNIT) at some cost.

Chem Inhaler doctrine's codex description doesn't contain GUARD INFANTRY UNIT term and Codex tells us that Command Platoon (with its support) should be treated as a single unit whereas other types of Platoons (Infantry - , Heavy Weapon - ) shouldn't - ig codex says that "... in other cases they (parts of the platoon) act like independent units.

To sum up, this is what makes Command Platoon a little bit special and my question is - is it okay and under the rules to buy Chem-Inhaler doctrine for all Command Platoon (just because of lack of GUARD INFANTRY UNIT term) at cost of 10 points ?

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

When there is no distinction as in 'Guard infantry' you buy it for each seperate squad. So the command squad (5 men with officer) would purchase it then each support squad (6 man with heavy weapons) would purchase it seperately. With conscripts you purchase it for each squad (or ten men).

hope that helps

A

+ Reply to Thread