Sanctioned psykers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanctioned psykers

Hey everyone, i have a question. I know about the advisor rule with regard to how advisors have to be put on the hq first ect. I also understand the bit about rolling a dice to determine a psyker's ability.

My question is do you put them on the squads, then determine powers, or do you get to find out what their powers are and then allocate them to squads.

I'm just think that if you get 5 of them, there is a pretty good chance of getting at least one telepathic order, which i would want on the main command squad. I was thinking of also having a commissar on the squad as well. This would give me an 18" ld 10 bubble. (going by the responses i got from my recent post "commissar questions")

If i got 2 with telepathic order than i could really go to town, make the HQ an HSO and give a platoon commander the Honorifica.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

My take on it is you place your squads on the table. Then infornt of your opponent you point to each one and go il roll this one now. Its how weve always played it in our GW for those types of abilities.

It really nerfs the psyker as he doesnt have that many useful powers anyway. Psykers really arent that good TBH. they are a good fluffy idea but they should be able to purchase powers with the useful ones the most expensive. Evryother race can so why cant we!

A

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

My take on it is you place your squads on the table. Then infornt of your opponent you point to each one and go il roll this one now. Its how weve always played it in our GW for those types of abilities.
    I'm pretty sure that this is the only way you can really deploy santioned psykers - as you have to write up your army list before the game (theoretically), and in the list each psyker would be psyker 1, psyker 2 etc (even if not actually labelled so in your list, they are all different with potentially different wargear), you would have to wait until the game begins to roll for the power.

If psyker 1 is in the command squad, and you roll telepathic order for psyker 3, its not like you can change where you put him.

Actually, you COULD roll before the game, but only if they are all properly labelled. My point is, you cannot just pick and choose the psykers depending on their powers.

I still use psykers all the time - I often even forget to roll their power! My reason - they are best used with honorifica imperialis and a force weapon! My astropath has killed inquisitor lords, grey knight commander dudes, space marine chaplains, carnifex's, and many more! They can be fantastic. Just make sure you give him frag grenades as well.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Im impressed with the inquisitor lord killing cadaver they can be nasty against psykers. Think il actually use mine now. All he is is a nice paint job at the mo!

And as ever you explained the point more eloquently than me lol.

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

And as ever you explained the point more eloquently than me lol.
    I'm gonna blush! :blush:

Im impressed with the inquisitor lord killing cadaver they can be nasty against psykers
    His wasn't really tooled up against psykers, though, so I was lucky.

The best value a santioned psyker possesses is that he isn't an independant character - their target has to wipe out the rest of the squad before the psyker is going to die!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really like them. Does anyone actually draw success from using them?
    "Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword"!
    (Says the Officer manning the pintle mounted storm bolter to the tank driver)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by GauntsGhost View Post
    i was thinking about adding some, becuase it never hurts to have one if you need it for something like the forceweapon.

but no, ive never used one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Well, they are somewhat hit or miss. I generally find that if I don't need my psyker for killing a big monster its because my guns have already knocked it down. I don't think I've had a game where I've had the psyker, needed it then regretted bringing it. Generally, the only time it doesn't at least buy back its points is when it doesn't get a chance to fight. Then again I am not terribly proactive with them, I camp one in my HQ and use its leadership bubble and a mortar out of sight. it won't do crap against horde CC critters but against cc gods it can be quite a helluva counter attack unit.
    I admit I am partial though. I got tired of making cadian after cadian after cadian and the psyker was a fun conversion to bring in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

301 (x7)

The short answer for me is: Yes.

it won't do crap against horde CC critters but against cc gods it can be quite a helluva counter attack unit.

And this is why. Against cc gods, it is a wonder. Against 20 gaunts, not so. But thats why IG have many many many lasguns.

Its all about balance, and i've found room for a psyker on the seesaw that is my army list. Other people might not be able to, purely as their list doesn't allow for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright guys, thanks for answering. I guess i wont be taking these guys. They would be worth it if there was some way to at least slightly influence who was going to have which power, but seeing as it is completely chaotic I'll be staying away from them. I like things that I can count on, even if I can only count on them to be mediocre. The honorifica and force weapon looks like a good combo, but I don't face that many things that it would be useful against. The farseer on a jetbike is to fast to catch, the necron lord has a VOD and the carifex has the extra toughness upgrade so i cant hurt it(he put that one on after i killed the carnifex with a lasgun! MWAHAHA)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast