Grenadiers Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grenadiers Question

If I choose the doctrine GRENADIERS, does that mean I have to field ONLY Stormies, or can I also field a regular troops choice?

Has anyone successfully played GRENADIERS?

I would like to have 3 GRENADIER troops and 1 stormies troop and 1 Hard Vet Squad...

Any thoughts on this approach?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are allowed different troop choices, but since you chose Grenadiers already, their is not much chance of you using normal choices.

I have a concept of a Grenadiers army, but I haven't tried them out yet.

If you want sample lists it is all over the army list forums these dew days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you field them you can field others, just means you can include them as infantry. So yes you can have the Grenadier squads and other platoons.
    People have used them and has a nice effect on some games, I have never used them personaly.

You would have 4 squads with a 4+ save, 3 without infiltrate, 1 with it, 1 sqaud with a 5+ save + infiltrate and the ability to take a heavy weapon. I guess its fine, i really dont see nothing wrong with it.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I use grenadiers as a pointsfiller in mech lists. It means I cna get a better platoon into 1500 points! I have a friend who plays grenadiers and hes been pretty successful with it so far. the key is mounting the grenadiers squads in chimeras apparently...

hope that helps

A

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Commisarlestat View Post
    I use grenadiers as a pointsfiller in mech lists. It means I cna get a better platoon into 1500 points! I have a friend who plays grenadiers and hes been pretty successful with it so far. the key is mounting the grenadiers squads in chimeras apparently...

hope that helps

A
    Indeed, you won't go far without Chimera mounts.

Try hitting up Diggums Hammer for some more in depth information. He plays Grenediers and apparently does pretty well with them (He'll flog the Flaming Chimera O' Doom for all he's worth ).

I would like to have 3 GRENADIER troops and 1 stormies troop and 1 Hard Vet Squad...
    General consensus is whereever possible, ditch the Stormies and take the Veteran Doctrine and more Veterans.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Grenadiers, hmm........:shifty:

Grenadiers are an excellent choice if you want to play a different style from the regular Platoon IG, and are especially good if you love to play a tank heavy IG army. Grenadiers really should just be there to support you tanks, they are not good assault troops at all.

I usually set up two or three squads of 10 Grenadiers, and give them all Chimeras, and usually two Plasma Guns per squad. This is the base of my army, upon which I add an HQ (usually a suicide Plasma or Melta squad), three Heavy Supports (Russ, Demolisher, Bassie), a Hellhound or two, and either Veterans with Lascannons or Sentinals for my long range fire support.

My 1750pt list has three Grenadier squads, six Lascannon Sentinals, two Hellhounds, two Leman Russ's and a Basilisk. I love template death!

My list does very well. I rarely lose, and it is a very 'fun' list to play. Lots of movement, not such a long time to set up and every hates my shooting phase!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Of Man View Post
    General consensus is whereever possible, ditch the Stormies and take the Veteran Doctrine and more Veterans.
    I was going to start a thread about this, but it would probably work to ask here, since Wolfsheim's question is similar (wolfsheim is an awesome band by the way)

What do Grenadier players prefer for elites choices: Stormies, or Vets?

I was thinking of just using 3 small, deepstriking ST squads with melta guns, maybe get myself an improved comms to boost their reliability.

On the other hand, 3 vet squads with carapace aren't too shabby, and of course they have access to heavy weapons (lascannons would probably be the way to go).

Since Grenadiers tend to lack anti-tank firepower, besides their tanks and sentinels of course, I'm stuck between these two options. I guess I could do what Wolfsheim plans to do, and do a mix, but I have this obsession with having redundant lists...
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    IWhat do Grenadier players prefer for elites choices: Stormies, or Vets?

I was thinking of just using 3 small, deepstriking ST squads with melta guns, maybe get myself an improved comms to boost their reliability.

On the other hand, 3 vet squads with carapace aren't too shabby, and of course they have access to heavy weapons (lascannons would probably be the way to go).

Since Grenadiers tend to lack anti-tank firepower, besides their tanks and sentinels of course, I'm stuck between these two options. I guess I could do what Wolfsheim plans to do, and do a mix, but I have this obsession with having redundant lists...
    For deepstriking small suicide squads, vets are the way to go (three special weapons is better than 2). I do deepstrike stormies, but they are full squads of 10, usually with two Plasma guns into cover if possible, as they have better survivability.

Improved comms is a very good way to go regardless!

I prefer my vets to Have Lascannons and at least two Plasma Guns. Nothing like putting them on the table last after the enemy has put all it's units down.:ninja:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I have a 1500pt grenadier army. I have had a lot of success with them.

They work well with chimeras to ride in and Lemans for support.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diggums and crew, many thanks for the responses.

I was planning a nice traditional army with a few platoons etc., but after reading a few lists on Grenadiers, I feel sold on rearranging my army entirely.

Of course, thart's gonna cost a pretty penny. (Stormie models are pricey!)

I think it's better though, consdiering the set-up time will be shorter and the deployment much more fun because of the movement.

(Wolfsheim is a GREAT band - older stuff might be better. My tag is a mix of Front 242 and Wolfsheim.)

Anyway, I was curious about the leadership issues because of the lack of comm. squads for the vets and the stormies. Their LD is high, but nothing beats the HSO through vox or the commisar's influence. Is the best way to achieve LD bonus to those units through voxes or Ind. Commissars?

Or do I even NEED to worry about LD issues?

I was also going to take Special Eqpt. Carapace Armor for my Vets. Is this a waste? If they are suicide squads, is it silly to waste pts on carapace?

Lastly, I was going to give one of my Vet Sgt.s Honorifica Imp. to boost stats. Does this make sense? I like it because it frees me from the HQ for LD and almost brings 2x HSO's to the field.

Many thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast