Swapping Libby powers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Swapping Libby powers?

When you make a list for a tourney and the list includes a librarian, do you think it is fair for the Libby to swap different psychic powers in different games to suit the scenario or the opponent? Is doing that unfair? Does the librarian only get certain powers? It occurs to me that maybe a librarian may not have mastered different powers so he only can do one or two in his life and not have access to all of them whenever it suits him...

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Powers are set on your army list. Since your army is (almost always) fixed for the duration of a tournament, being able to change powers would be against the spirit of the event. The list you have is the one you use against every opponent.

If it were like Warhammer where magic is "built in" to the price and options of the wizard, then it would be fair. But since librarians have to pay extra for their powers, it wouldn't suit tournament play.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-61 (x0)

I second what Rork said. It's not appropriate to change your list in any way between games in most tournaments. Changing your psychic powers is no exception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you are using Tigurius I don't think you are allowed to change Librarian powers
    FOR THE EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Yeah, that'd make Tigurius totally redundant except for that pimped-out hood. (Or is it a staff?)

Tournaments require you use a fixed army list - exchanging psychic powers is like exchanging vehicle upgrades, or saying "Alright, I want to drop the power fist and take a power weapon and bionics on my Captain."
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I agree that psychic powers should not be changed... but I think of it from the fluff point of view... each librarian seems to have a specific power they excel at over anything else they know and that ends up being the power they train to master.
    They're ladies. We can't hit ladies.

No, no. They're Daemonettes. They'll tear you limb from limb and steal your soul

But sar, thats what ladies do.

http://tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

my bad...

Well the consensus seems unanimous and I guess I was totally wrong. I assumed I could change them between games. I have not done that, mind you, I just mentioned it in a post that I thought I could do it and Forged caught it and called me on it! Rep for him and thanks to everyone!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Actually, I say it depends on the tournament rules. If the rules say you can't change lists, then your stuck with the same powers. I'm playing a league where we are allowed to change lists between games. Even though I use the same list I tweak the powers because FotD is just about useless against MEQs. However, when I calculated my point costs for the list I used the most expensive combination of powers for my Librarian and if someone kills my Librarian they'll get VPs as if I had the expensive combination of powers.

In a few weeks we are doing an all day tournament and the rules specifically say you have to use the same list in every game. So I can't do my power swapping then.

As for fluff, I claim I have more than one Librarian in the chapter
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

+ Reply to Thread