Tanks Without Sponsons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanks Without Sponsons?

As the title asks, does anyone use Lemans without sponsons. And can anyone give pros/cons of going either way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

I'm no guard player but as far as I can see, the side sponsons are a steal no matter what you put on them and no matter if it is an ordinary russ or a demolisher. For the points costs involved I can't really see a reason to choose not to have them, besides, if you get weapon destroyed without them then your tank is almost useless... woot! tank shock!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I agree, they are good... but in lower point games, it might work with a Russ.
    you have a heavy bolter which will take the first (and most likely only) Weapon destroyed result... So it might be a viable option under very specific circumstances...
    There are plenty of pros for them. It gives you a great option in take and hold games, where you might get to close to use Ordinance to full effect, especially if yor tank is moving, then it is nice to have 3 heavybolters to open up into the squad who will assault your forward line, next turn.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion there are only two ways to outfit a Leman Russ. Either set the vehicle up for anti-infantry outfitted with the hull heavy bolter and the side sponsons heavy bolters. This configuration has become an AV14 mobile heavy bolter squad for 75 points more than a standard heavy bolter fire support squad. The second option is to set it up as anti-vehicle with just the hull lascannon no sponsons required. It is best to pick a task and stick to it for all of your units, including the Leman Russ.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

The leman russ is foremost a infantry killer and having 3 heavy bolters is very impotent in giving your russ a weapon that can take down enemy models that are spread out in order to avoid the battlecannon shells as most players are not very nice people and do not bunch up there models for you to blow away with one lucky shot.

Also theres the fact that the 3 heavy bolters are better then the cannon when facing light infantry were as a single lascannon that can't fire on the move is not a very good use for such a powerful tank. You should have plenty of anti-tank in your infantry squads to make up for this.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Art
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often face to many Space Marines making the Sponsors much less of a buy. Those few points saved can make a difference elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x4)

But what happens when you lose your battlecannon? Wouldn't you be thankful for a useful set of weapons to fall back on instead of one weapon destroyed result rendering the tank useless?

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

I often face to many Space Marines making the Sponsors much less of a buy. Those few points saved can make a difference elsewhere
    Thats a pretty valid point - I would be doing the same in your situation, even though I am a fan of using sponsons. For you, that extra plasmagun could prove better. But then again, 1 plasmagun vs two heavy bolters...

you have a heavy bolter which will take the first (and most likely only) Weapon destroyed result... So it might be a viable option under very specific circumstances...
    cebwj, I dont understand what you mean by this. {confused} Your opponent gets to choose the weapon that is destroyed, surely this would be the battle cannon/demolisher cannon?

It gives you a great option in take and hold games, where you might get to close to use Ordinance to full effect, especially if yor tank is moving, then it is nice to have 3 heavybolters to open up into the squad who will assault your forward line, next turn.
    I've always found that you can never be too close to use your ordinance! The lives of your own guardsmen are immaterial, so go for gold and blast away!

But seriously, this is true, i do like having the option of using 3 heavy bolters instead of the battle cannon from time to time. Especially when those howling banshees are spread out as much as they can be to avoid it.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KOS-MOS View Post
    Also theres the fact that the 3 heavy bolters are better then the cannon when facing light infantry were as a single lascannon that can't fire on the move is not a very good use for such a powerful tank. You should have plenty of anti-tank in your infantry squads to make up for this.
    Not disagreeing with you here about the 3 Heavy Bolters vs 1 Lascannon, but you know the Lascannon can fire on the move right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

101 (x4)

Only weapons strength 6 or under may fire on the move and the battlecannon is not one of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast