Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I have a friend who really likes his terminators, and I'm looking for hints on how to take them down.
Any help would be appreciated.
ok termies - the issue is really their save, there are two generic approaches:
1. make them take so many saves they fail some, not realy that practical with marines,
2. bypass saves: use weapons with sufficent AP to ignore their save or with rending, goosd stuff includes assault cannon, las cannon, melta guns, vindicators, pred annihs
equally close combat weapons such as power weapons, LCs, even powerfists or thunder hammers, although you will tend to be hit back
Everything you have been told is a lie!
You want to avoid close combat with your HQ, since powerfists have that annoying tendency to make Chaplains go splat. My advice is plasma guns in your tactical squads (if you play traits and don't worry about fluff, take Cleanse and Purify - the two special weapons one) or else massed fire from assault cannons and such.
Vindicators make them go boom nicely and plasma cannons have that blast marker - so useful when they Deep Strike all in a bunch. In fact, one (very expensive) Devastator squad with four plasma cannons makes steamy chunks out of Terminator lists - my friend found that out when he played his terminator-heavy shooty list against my Blood Angels. I only needed the one squad with plasma and only one of them died!
Otherwise, Vet. sergeants with power weapons in your assault squads. That way he hits first and they take saves on a 5+. Alternatively...counter by taking Terminators of your own. If regular, take assault cannons and hope for Rending. If assault, take lightning claws to strike first, with FC to make sure you wound.
The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.
Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!
Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."
I agree with the above plus:
• Another issue is that with expensive termy squads you opponent will have fewer point-scoring units available for mission objectives. As a termy player myself, my key objective is keeping my units point-scoring for as long as possible otherwise it is sometimes impossible to win games such as cleanse or objective missions purely through lack of units. So when you are shooting at them concentrate on one squad with the maximum amount of your own guns to whittle the units down one at a time.
• Cover, if you can influence terrain, take as LITTLE as possible. Getting termies to footslog in the open is always a good option for you. They may deploy via Deepstrike in this instance but this is risky. If they deploy via drop pods they will only be 5-men per squad so will be vulnerable to massed and template fire.
• Deploy near the back edge of your deployment zone to lessen the risk of a lucky deepstrike behind your own lines.
• Take ranged weapons - as many as you can. Termies' storm bolters and acannons shoot at 24", combined with their movement range is effectively 30". So idealy you need to be out of range for as long as poss.
• Rapid fire is your friend. As Cheredanine says force the termies to take as many saves as poss, they will then more likely fail a few.
• If your friend uses Land Raiders don't be too intimidated by them - they are NOT invincible. If he is mad enough to have a termy assault squad in a Crusader it's a priority target as it's 500 or so points tied up in that!!! Plus you don't want them assaulting you directly from it.
• Whirlwinds are good too if for pinning alone - unless he is a DW player in which case he wil be Fearless and march on relentlessly.
• Take a Libby with Fury (again to pin as many units as poss) or Storm (AP2) but the latter is incredibbly short-ranged and risky
Keeper of the Dark Fortress
Member of the Inner Circle
Current armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights (I'd have more if my wife would let me)
"They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."
Simply attack them.
The greatest defense Terminators have is the psychological impact of thier 2+ save. People simply don't shoot them in favour of another unit which they think is a softer target. In points killed per Bolter shot it's better to shoot at the Terminators.
18 Boltshots at Power Armoured Marines, 2 kills, 30pts of damage.
18 Boltshots at TDA wearing Marines, 1 kill, more than 30pts of damage.
Of course weapons which deny that 2+ save are even more efficient. From a Plasma perspective you kill:
27 plasma shots, 18 hits, 15 dead Power Armoured Marines at 225pts.
27 plasma shots, 18 hits, 15 wounds, 10 dead Terminators at 400pts. (figures chosen because they make for nice, round maths.)
Of course if both are in 5+ cover the Termies do comparativly even worse. 150-400 pts of damage.
About the only weapons not to use are ML, and your Devs will be about the only people toting those.
So just shoot them or attack them in general and the Emperors finest look like expeisive options for your opponent.
Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!
Basically anything that may bypass their tough armor such as: Chainaxes, big choppas, plasma, melta, rending, pie plates, etc, or lots and lots of save rolls such as: lots of flashlights, gaunt attacks, rapid fire, bladestorm, etc. It basically comes down to swarm, bypass, or instakill are your options.
When in doubt call in an ordnance strike.
You don't even have to go AP death, very simply put in three words...WEIGHT OF FIRE. You shoot enough, they will die, ask the guard, they're good at that. =D
"The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."
Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars