A Quick Question About A Kill Team - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Giant Mutant Chaos Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Quick Question About A Kill Team

Hi i am making a grey knight kill team. so here is my question: can i take an incinerator and a psycannon? the kill team rules state that you may not have more than one template or heavy wepon but a psycannon can be heavy or assult?

thanks

GMCL

Good Post? Do Rep!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    Pft, what a weenie. Hell, tell him that the next time you see him. Tell him that Katie Drake called him a weenie!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Psycannons aren't template weapons at all. They just have dual range ratings depending on whether or not the unit carried them moved. (Assuming, that is, that the difference even matters. Although you can't take them in kill team, models in terminator armour always get to use the Heavy rating because of the termie armour's special rules.)

As for taking special weapons at all ... I'd recommend against it. You're spending points to rob your GKs of everything that distinguishes them from bog-standard marines (i.e., +2 S bonus, true grit, stormbolter). So instead of having as many as two full-strength PAGKs, you get one lame smurf (S4/A1). An incredibly bad trade-off in all but a few specialized situations. I wouldn't say that Kill-team is one of them. Vanilla PAGKs are one of the game's best infantry killers as is, no upgrades.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

I'd probably say that you can only take one or the other. But it's really a non-issue, since you simply don't have the points for it.

Due to points cost, a GK kill team can only EVER, EVER be 5 models strong. this leaves you with 10 points for wargear.

Saving points by dropping the Justicar breaks a mutable rule (mandatory upgrades). Saving points by dropping a regular GK instead breaks one, too (minimum squad size), the psycannon by its very existence breaks one as well (big, multi-shot weapons). Not to mention the immutable rule about the heavy or template bit.

So even if you can finesse the rule in question to allow both weapons, simply having them causes you to be greatly understrength (20% or even 40% fewer men) and in violation of several rules, giving your opponent tons of bonus points to spend.

Honestly, I can't think of any brute squad out there that stands a chance against a basic GK Kill Team. 5 Storm Bolters will shred most of them before they get close enough to worry about, and with S6 combat weapons, one of them a Power Weapon, no 3-man brute squad has any hope at all in combat. Keep your guys stock, and use the 10 spare points for Psycannon bolts on the Justicar, and you'll vaporize anything not wearing power armour or equivalent.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

+ Reply to Thread