2000 Point Guard List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Point Guard List

This is a list I've been running for a little while, it's been pretty successful so far, I haven't played Tau or mech eldar with it yet, but it's fared well against various marine lists, Khorne marines, Slaanesh marines, managed a draw against an Adepticon tournament runner up's Lost and the Damned, and killed Nidzilla lists.

I think I might be over like 2 or three points, let me know if I'm more than that. I'm doing this list from memory, I don't have the hard copy of the list on me right now, I can't remember if it had 2 regular Leman Russes or 1 Regular and 1 demolisher.

Doctrines:

Drop Troops
    Iron Discipline
    Veterans
    Special Weapon Squads
    Sharpshooters

HQ:

Command Squad:
    Junior Officer w/ Honorifica, carapace armor, plasma pistol, power weapon, refractor field, iron discipline
    Commissar - carapace armor, plasma pistol, power weapon
    1 standard bearer with bolt pistol
    1 medic with bolt pistol
    2 Guardsmen - 2x plasma guns

Special Weapons Squad[6]
    Deep Striking, 2 flamers, 1 demo charge

Special Weapons Squad [6]
    Deep Striking, 2 flamers, 1 demo charge

Anti-Tank Squad [6]
    3x Lascannons, sharpshooters

Elites:

Hardened Vet Squad [5]
    Deep Striking, 3x melta guns (Or 3x plasma guns depending on the opponent, it's the same cost)

Hardened Vet Squad [5]
    Deep Striking, 3x melta guns (Or 3x plasma guns depending on the opponent, it's the same cost)

Troops:

Infantry Platoon 1

Command Squad [5]
    4x plasma guns, 1 junior officer with 1x bolt pistol and Iron Discipline

Infantry Squad 1 [10]
    1x heavy bolter, 1x plasma gun

Infantry Squad 2 [10]

Infantry Platoon 2

Command Squad [5]
    4x plasma guns, 1 junior officer with 1x bolt pistol and Iron Discipline

Infantry Squad 1 [10]

Infantry Squad 2 [10]

Armored Fist Squad 1
    Chimera w/ extra armor, smoke, Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, pintle heavy stubber
    Infantry Squad [10]

Armored Fist Squad 2
    Chimera w/ extra armor, smoke, Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, pintle heavy stubber
    Infantry Squad [10]

Heavy Support

Basilisk
    Indirect Fire, extra armor, smoke

Leman Russ
    Hull Heavy bolter, sponson heavy bolters, extra armor, smoke

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Hull Lascannon, sponson plasma cannons, extra armor, smoke

The whole idea is like most guard, shoot them before they get to me in close combat. The Armored fist squads provide mobility and are quite handy if running both together along a flank. The demolisher sits back and uses the lascannon and plasma cannons for the first few turns, then when enemies get close, then use the demolisher cannon. I got as many plasma guns as I could to just annihilate marines and terminators, as well as high toughness creatures such as carnifexes, wraithlords, etc.

The main event with this army though is the deep striking squads. 2 hardened vet squads and 2 special weapon squads. The squads are cheap suicide units that are meant to drop extremely close (dangerously close, 4-5" from the enemy). The hardened vets hit vehicles with 3 melta guns at BS4 at that close range, while the special weapons squads use 2 flamers and a demo charge (yay ordnance) on a tightly packed squad (such as termies that just deep struck, necrons that veiled, etc). In the majority of games, 1 of each type of squad lands close enough to kill somthing, and they provide a distraction to the enemy, slowing them down in getting to my lines.

The main reason this army has worked for me is the amount of plasma guns in this army, many opponents simply underestimate how many plasma guns I put in this army. This army of mine has defeated godzilla lists (in victory points from kills, in addition to objective). I managed to have enough plasma to kill the carnifexes, and my basilisk and deep strikers get to the genestealers behind and kill alot of them. The only thing my army has a hard time contending with is really fast moving armies, which is why probably won't fare well against Mech Eldar.

MacGyver = Crushing Victory

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard from some people about the rules questions about drop troops, if you choose to deep strike 1 sub-unit from a choice (for example, a special weapons squad from a Command Platoon), all the other sub-units would have to start in reserve, since they deploy as one unit.

I called the GW rules help hotline, because I was confused about this myself, and found that this is not the case. Only the units you choose to deep strike have to start in reserve. And then if they're sub-units in the same platoon, then they come in together on a single reserve role for the whole platoon. The sub-units that you chose not to deep strike deploy as normal. This is also consistent in line with using light infantry doctrine for infiltrating sub-units, mentioned in the latest guard FAQ.

This reply probably goes to the rules area, but I wanted to put it here, to validate my list and avoid potential confusion.
    MacGyver = Crushing Victory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

alright, my two cents.

first off, nice-looking list
    although, personnally i hate to load up my command squads with any wargear over a honorifica, mortar and standard bearer.

if there's a problem with troops reaching your lines and tying you up in melee, i have two ways i overcome that for myself.

first one, is simply to charge an extra squad in with the one that is already engaged and move the rest away if necessary just enough to form a buffer area where you'll be able to shoot those baddies up even more once they break through the man-tangle.

another is to field a unit of rough riders, and hold them behind lines and safe from fire until the enemy does charge you, then push them up and countercharge into the enemy (which i have put to quite good use in getting rid of those chaplain-led assault squads).

those tend to be the only close combat oriented unit i have and as well it should be since guard area all about mass numbers and firepower and not melee swirl.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

+ Reply to Thread