Got some GK, what do I do with them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Got some GK, what do I do with them?

Well, I got decent amount of GK for my birthday a couple months ago and as school is winding down, I'm finally starting to get around to playing them. Now, my real question is how I'm going to play them as I want to get some experience in with the units. I have an odd set of guys due to gifts, which I'll list here:

1 Brother-Captain Stern (which I never plan to use as Brother-Captain Stern)
    1 Incinerator GK Termy
    6 GK Termies
    1 Justicar
    1 Psycannon GK
    4 GK

Now, obviously I don't have a full army yet. I hope to at some point use a pure DH list and I've been toying around with those, but for now I want to try out the units in some games so I was wondering what to do. One of my friends has a large space marine army and another has a decent sized IG army that I can use units from. Both armies are very strange in composition as they revolve around mostly ebay purchases or gifts than a planned army, but the result is I have a large amount of units that I can choose from.

Any ideas for army styles?

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

What kind-of jumps out at me is a normal shooty IG army with a squad of GK Terminators.

The first reason that I would suggest this is your lack of PAGK, once you get a squad of 10 use them as a fast attack selection in the IG army, but for now...

The second reason is that GK Termis are rock hard! In a shooty IG army the enemy will be rushing forward to tie up the Guardsmen in CC. The Terminators make the perfict counter-attack unit, or better put, finishing unit.

The third reason is... they're shiney!!!

An idea for the layout of the terminator unit would look like this:
    Option 1
    • Grand Master [354]
      -Master Crafted Nemisis Force Weapon
      -Sacred Incense
      • 4 Grey Knight Terminators

Option 2
    • 5 Grey Knight Terminators [245]
      -Brother Captain

Future purchase suggestions include:
    LOTS of PAGK (without special weapons) as these will form the backbone of your army.

NO MORE GK TERMINATORS! Although they seem great now, any more will weaken your army, 5 is a good squad size.

Dreadnaughts! These are our anti-tank gods, without them, we are a smudge on the enemys tracks (well not exactly, but you get the picture)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, deffinately use the IG as a base, then use the Termies as counter assault, and DS the standard GK near issolated units, to clear out enemies hidden in cover and hit thier flank. In my experience, this tactic works wonders, especially since you get the cc goodness of the GK, and the shooty greatness of guard.

Don't DS the termies unless you absolutely must, I have seen too many times where some genius drops some termies (GK and SM) behind my lines, and i light them up w/ flashlights, killing a few, and letting the HW finish them while they stand there for that turn after DS.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I think until you get enough GK to play on your own I would team up with the Space marines. If your friend has scouts you can use just set up two squads of scouts up close (with homers), then deepstrike in one squad of Termies, and (once you get 10) a squad of PAGKs. Then you can use the rest of your points for anti armor/fire support. This gives you 20 CC scouts, and 5 GK terminators to clean up the mess. Once you have the the normal Grey Knights their plight only gets worse. Just spend the rest of your points on either lascannon squads, or preditors. I really think it is a pretty tough list to take down because with the GKs you are tough to out assault (and scouts are pretty hard as well), Shooty lists are going to get assaulted by scouts pretty quickly, and with the heavy support you should be able to take down vehicle heavy lists as well. The only problem is having enough scouts.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Taking allied GK untis with space marines or IG will work equally well ... or equally bad, depending on the overall army composition and play style and tactics.

Added to the IG, GKs bring a refreshing resiliency and assault competence, not to mention superior shooting, too. However, the expense is that while the GKs are inherently resilient, too much invested into your DH allies can make your overall IG list less resilient, as IG resilience is defined by scads of expendable bodies protecting weapons and armour purchases. Be sure to find a nice balance; don't load up on GK allies at the expense of your overall IG list.

Added to the Marines, GKs appear to your opponent like uber-marines, and so will attract a lot more attention than, probably, they would deserve. You can use this tactically to your advantage. Again, though, GKs are pretty expensive, and so you won't want to load up so high on GK allies as to limit the strategies you have in mind for your Marine force. While PAGKs are always welcome, I would say that GKTs can fit far more comfortably with most Marine armies. They don't cost much more than Marine termies, yet are infinitely superior assault units.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Thanks guys. I think I'll try out a couple of the different ideas in some games and see which I like the best.

I know that I have a lot of termies and I don't plan on buying any more, but what do ya do when everyone gives them to you:sleep:

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Hey Champion!

Coming from a DH player.....

Ditch the Psycannon Grey Knight, try swap it for something cool.... IMO, they are a waste. Special weapons on Grey Knights are a waste. Many people agree with that, some like to add them... I myself, don't. I have 12 brand spankin' new Psycannon models, never used, never.

Aim for another 15 Grey Knights, coupled with termies and the Guard/Marines you mentioned, you have the biggest range of stuff to pick from, and still maintain a huge DH portion

I was always iffy about the Guard, then again, I have never mixed, and only played Pure DH Guard Ordnance is a big bonus though, as is the break/shoot Guard tactic, and the anti tank they bring to the board.

Improved comms works great to get out those expensive Grey Knights (or Calidus, if used *cough*)

Either way, hope you have some fun with the Stormbolter goodness in the near future!

*drools over coming dice storm*
    {goofy}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Senior Member Giant Mutant Chaos Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

decide via some mini batles with yourself what you want then buy some more. thats my sugetion
    Good Post? Do Rep!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    Pft, what a weenie. Hell, tell him that the next time you see him. Tell him that Katie Drake called him a weenie!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. May 22nd, 2007, 18:41