Veterans as Assault Troops - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Veterans as Assault Troops

I have an assault based drop pod army (Storm Lords) and was wondering about the following.

veterans armed with bolt pistol and ccw (free swap)
    veteran sergeant with a bolt pistol and power fist
    veteran armed with a flamer
    all have terminator honours upgrade
    all have furious charge (free upgrade)

Then pop them in a drop pod.

Compared with assault marines you lose the jump packs, but gain an extra attack for only 3 points (assuming both have furious charge).

For a squad of 10 they drop, disembark, fire with 9 bolt pistols and a flamer, then charge next turn with 40 attacks at S5 I5 + 1 with a power fist (assuming no casualties).

This sounds great to me. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I'm all for it, sounds different.

I can however see some caveats some others'll throw up.

1.) You posit an ideal situation.
    2.) For all of the investment in the dudes, and its a bit, they still only have one wound each.
    3.) No jump packs, meaning that it'll be one round of kill-liciousness at best, while other units run the hell away and then proceed to killify you with their various shooty bits.

For my own part. Try it and see.
    And for a piece of advice, take everything on this forum, including this, with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea it sounds gd, thats a heck of a lotta attacks... dont think much would survive against it...

tho i aint too keen on giving the enemy free victory points with the drop pods, but i spose with a well placed drop the Vet's could make up their own points, and the drop pods in one go...

however BECAUSE of all the attacks, if they do slaughter some enemies, he MIGHT think "OMG they pwn!" *concentrates fire on Veterans and rips them apart* ... or... if yoour really unlucky, he might fire at you on the turn you arrive, before they even get into combat (remember you cant move/assault on the turn you arrive)

... just an idea... maybe an upside of the not-so-good assault troops is the fact they might not kill all the enemies in the turn they charge, meaning the enemy can't shoot at them in his shooting phase, but hopefully they can clean up the mess in his assault phase leaving them free to dive into another combat in your moving phase... (assuming no enemies are in consoldatiing distance)

wow... i seem to have waffled on and on... i hope some of this is useful...

either way, it seems a good plan, as long as you get some lucky rolls and use them well tactically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Hey my first post back form my little trip away.
    It sounds pretty good. But if you are versing an army with tanks then use multi-melta instead of flamer so then take out one of those tanks hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This unit is a paper tiger. Looks damn good on paper and will seldom pull its worth in play. If your gonna Pod your army send in the Tacticles with a Melta and call it good. What makes the Pod so feared is the rapid fire goodness of the squad bolters.
    I wouldn't think of putting my Vet's in anything short of a Crusader with a Chaplain as company. You have to be able to keep them mobile and a pod just dont fill the bill.
    breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually thought of the idea today for a DA army, take two 10 man veteran squads with the 3 power weapons, and some combat shields. Then take two LRC and put a vet squad in each one, drive across the board.
    Everyone puts termis in landraiders, forgetting you can put a full 10 man power armor unit in it. I think the vets would rock in combat, and the LRC ensures their arrival in one piece.

I know it doesn't really go with your drop pod army idea. I have to agree with the others, assaulting out of a pod is not so good. You want a shooty squad coming out of that thing and rapid fire.
    Age is a state of mind, and since I have no mind, I don't age.
    Check out my painting blog at http://gmansminipainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Spook2k5 View Post
    No jump packs, meaning that it'll be one round of kill-liciousness at best, while other units run the hell away and then proceed to killify you with their various shooty bits.
    That's kill-larious!

Veterans are cool, I'm all for diversity among SM army lists. They have their pros and cons, just like any unit. If they deploy right, and you use a combined arms assault, then you can somewhat negate the "run away and shoot" option. Pin the enemy in place, then watch the Vets "killify them with their various choppy bits."
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    Hey my first post back form my little trip away.
    It sounds pretty good. But if you are versing an army with tanks then use multi-melta instead of flamer so then take out one of those tanks hopefully.
    Welcome back.

I think you mean a meltagun, a heavy weapon can't shoot the turn it drops, no good for a drop pod unit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread